Rocket the Dog (ambient pop music)

Larry T.

greetings!!!!....latest creation is called Rocket the Dog (ambient pop music)....critiques, comments, questions all welcomed....here we go:

link: https://larryterrano.bandcamp.com/track/rocket-the-dog-ambient-pop-music

rocket the dog pic SMALL.jpg

DAW: Cakewalk by Bandlab

pc: windows 10, i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz, 8GB ram, acoustic and electric guitars, bass guitar, focusrite scarlett solo, arturia minilab mkII, arturia analog lab 5 lite, CbB effects, harmonica

reference speakers: M-Audio BX3

Special Thanks to Mike Enjo at #creativesauce on You Tube whose incredible videos on how to use CbB made this possible

Edited by Larry T.
improvement.
  • Like 4

cool picture . . . Nevada?

cool tune! Can you imagine Neil Young singing over it? I can!

It's a bit rubato in the timing, so you must have intended those rhythm inconsistencies, and there are no drums anyway so who cares. It's all a back porch guitars feel, pretty cool. Nice panning on the guitars!

cheers,

-Tom

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PhonoBrainer said:

cool picture . . . Nevada?

cool tune! Can you imagine Neil Young singing over it? I can!

It's a bit rubato in the timing, so you must have intended those rhythm inconsistencies, and there are no drums anyway so who cares. It's all a back porch guitars feel, pretty cool. Nice panning on the guitars!

cheers,

-Tom

thanks Tom....yes, Carson City area....if i had a dollar for every time i've played along with a Neil Young song i'd have a nice size stack of $$$$ lol!!!!....yeah, the rhythm in my songs has a lot of rubato which is why i don't have drums in any of them yet....back porch feel it is, relatively quick production compared to the last two i did....i think have two guitars on almost every guitar part, one panned L and one R, each to a different percentage....except the bass, elecrtric piano and harmonica....cheers!!!! 🎶🎶🎶🎶

• Like 1

Larry , I Really liked the suspended and Maj7th sounding chords. They're normally pretty sweet on an acoustic. Nice harp as well.  I do believe a different bass instrument would add a lot to the song.  I believe a deeper , fatter bass sound would get along nicer with the other instruments.                  Nice work ..   mark

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mark skinner said:

Larry , I Really liked the suspended and Maj7th sounding chords. They're normally pretty sweet on an acoustic. Nice harp as well.  I do believe a different bass instrument would add a lot to the song.  I believe a deeper , fatter bass sound would get along nicer with the other instruments.                  Nice work ..   mark

Thanks Mark....i played the bass through a Scarlett Solo and sent to an Aux track to fatten it up....i didn't use any VST to augment....just a bit of Pro Channel EQ and Saturation Knob on both bass tracks....i need to experiment more with the bass sound, one of a multitude of things to learn more about lol!!!! 🎶🎶🎶🎶

• Like 1

On 9/24/2022 at 6:24 PM, Larry T. said:

g with a Neil Young song i'd have a nice size stack of $$$$ lol

Did I hear someone say “stuck in Lodi again”?

enjoyed!

t

in the van, on the phone, the quote didn’t come out perfect, but you get my meaning. 
Oh, and I’d be remiss if I didn’t add a 👍 ‘s on the harmonica. 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Old Joad said:

I really like this, you did a great job recording this👍🏼How the hell did you keep that harmonica from blowing up the mic🎤

I've been trying to record one and it always overwhelms the mic...

Thanks man....i used a Shure PGA58 (not very expensive) to record the harp....i set the record level around -6dB to give it the best shot of avoiding hitting red....the harmonica sections are short so i recorded each section one at a time (there were absolutely no first takes, i recorded, erased, over and over until i got the take i thought was a keep)....i didn't use any limiting, just learned to adjust my playing from take to take....and Volume Automation was used all over the place to bring the levels to sound steady 🎶🎶🎶🎶

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, DeeringAmps said:

Did I hear someone say “stuck in Lodi again”?

enjoyed!

t

in the van, on the phone, the quote didn’t come out perfect, but you get my meaning. 
Oh, and I’d be remiss if I didn’t add a 👍 ‘s on the harmonica. 

Thanks Tom....lots and lots of record, erase....record, erase....there were absolutely no first takes on the harp sections 🎶🎶🎶🎶

• Like 1