PA releases Shadow Hills MAstering Compresseor : Native !!

Zo

Hi guyz , PA just released the Shadow Hills Compressor natively !!!

It will be on sale the 15 th of july !!!

"For the first time, the supreme tycoon of compression and all its power is available in all major native formats.

NEW: Enhanced by Brainworx with added External Sidechain, adjustable Internal Sidechain Filters and onboard parallel Mix (Dry/Wet) capabilities.

We are thrilled to welcome to the Alliance the godfather of dynamics control, the Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor.

Meticulously modeled by Brainworx after the legendary hardware, no details have been spared when crafting the digital version of one of the most musical and versatile compressors out there. A well known staple in the industry, the Shadow Hills compressor easily tames even the most unruly and chaotic transients with flawless tone and control. It’s no wonder that it has been the go-to buss compressor on timeless records by Radiohead, Foo Fighters, Beck, Green Day, Coldplay and countless others.

Dual compression sections for unprecedented dynamic control

One of the key things you can do with the Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor is treat your signals with dual-stage compression, dialing in compression either through the Optical or the Discrete sections - use both for maximum musicality! In the Optical section you will find the traditional Threshold and Gain settings, with a two-stage release time that is similar to the one you find on an LA-2A. With this section you can easily shape your dynamic range and bring up the overall level. In the VCA Discrete section you have a more exacting control over the ratio, attack and release settings, which easily allows you to fine-tune the compression response to fit a large variety of material.

Switchable output transformers for sonic variety

Further tonal character can be built with the three unique Output Transformers. Here you can toggle between each one to easily shift the tonal balance of the compressor. Choosing between Steel, Nickel or Iron will help the compressor add distinct flavors commonly found on a few legendary consoles. Nickel offers smooth lows with a polished top end and sounds great on more subtle and sparse recordings. The Iron transformer has a more colored sound but still maintains a pristine high end with a small boost in the 100Hz range. It operates through a Class-A output stage that applies only even-ordered harmonic distortion, leaving you with a very musical sound. Finally, the Steel transformer has an extremely detailed and fast response with a subtle boost in the 40Hz range which contributes to a rocking low end.

Brainworx Plugin Only Features

To round out the huge features that came straight from the hardware, Brainworx went a step further by adding a Parallel Mix control, a Sidechain Filter and an External Sidechain option in the proprietary toolbar! The Sidechain filter can easily prevent frequencies below the setting from triggering the compression for ultra-tight sounding mixes. Try the Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor now to experience a whole new level of dynamics management.

Official videos :

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Zo, it would be interesting to compare this monster in dual mode against pair of top compressors those kinds: opto + VCA :)

While it is very useful and convenient to have 2 in one the bothering question is how about sound itself.

Or maybe also 3 including transformer simulation for instance from Kush ;)

Edited by Piotr

4 hours ago, cclarry said:

The Trial is available now if you want to give it a whirl...

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/products/shadow_hills_mastering_compressor.html

Thanks, I am aware of it :)

I am not so experienced as Zo as compressor conqueror and not having all those great compressors and any of transformer emulation. :D

Anyway when I see a price and start to think about buying I will download it for sure to compare against a self-made FX chain based on what I have to look if such alternative makes sense.

If PA plan to crash market with low price at the start I will probably not able to resist to grab it anyway.

• Like 1

No way they don't retail this for at least the same as the UAD one ($299).  The question then becomes what kind of discounts will they offer?  My monthly voucher went up this month, I guess because I bought Dear VR pro.  I think that means the price of everything at PA will now have to double. 😰

For those that aren't sure what to get with their monthly PA vouchers, keep in mind that there might be other releases this month too. Dirk mentioned in his open letter that there will be over a dozen releases over the next few months. Something else that will factor in is if the price is offered as a cross-grade that's good for longer than this month (like the Maag Audio Magnum-K).  I'll probably wait until the end of the month to make a decision on what I will .

17 minutes ago, antler said:

Does every member get a voucher? or are there conditions, e.g. minimum time as a member; minimum total amount spent; etc. ?

Vouchers are based on what you've spent at PA over a 12 month period Antler...

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Piotr said:

Zo, it would be interesting to compare this monster in dual mode against pair of top compressors those kinds: opto + VCA :)

While it is very useful and convenient to have 2 in one the bothering question is how about sound itself.

Or maybe also 3 including transformer simulation for instance from Kush ;)

Don't know if i understand well , but in my video i show the opto side alone compression , then the VCA , then the combo , each time vesrus AR 1 if i recall ...

Of course i tried it agaisnt all the beast i have lol , the thing is that i know i have to shorten my videos , maybe anothe rone on compressors death match alone with all the 2019 releases ...

Another thing to notice is that fukkkkiing stepped volume knobs that makes A/B a pain !!! hate that :!! , i can live with it , biut for videos , not all cool for the audience ..

and yes there's other great stuff coming !!  and i'm talking new stuff  ... (never released !!)

ok stupid idea ...

Let's think of a group buy ...the dynamic is back ... we keep vauchers for transfer , one buy 10 (i can do that) and we 're good to go ? Larry could you do the maths ?

• Great Idea 2

1 minute ago, Zo said:

ok stupid idea ...

Let's think of a group buy ...the dynamic is back ... we keep vauchers for transfer , one buy 10 (i can do that) and we 're good to go ? Larry could you do the maths ?

Are you saying "Buy one - get 9 Free"?  I need to understand the Math before I can do it...LOL
If that's the case, you would buy Shadow Hills at the $299 (UAD) retail price...getting 9 more free,
which would break down to $29.90 a plugin (provided all the plugins are $299)
I'd say that's a win win considering recent sales...

42 minutes ago, Zo said:

Don't know if i understand well , but in my video i show the opto side alone compression , then the VCA , then the combo , each time vesrus AR 1 if i recall ...

I meant Shadow beast in double mode (opto+vca) versus 2 compressors chain (best opto compressor + best vca compressor of yours), maybe even chain which is built of 3 plugins (opto+vca+transformer sim).  :)  BTW I am wonder if we create FX chain in Sonar built from opto+vca could we get also something useful :)

42 minutes ago, Zo said:

Of course i tried it agaisnt all the beast i have lol , the thing is that i know i have to shorten my videos , maybe anothe rone on compressors death match alone with all the 2019 releases ...

Another thing to notice is that fukkkkiing stepped volume knobs that makes A/B a pain !!! hate that :!! , i can live with it , biut for videos , not all cool for the audience ..

Yup, I understand and appreciate your time spent to show us new interesting plugins :) Many thanks for that. I hope PA watched your video carefully and implement your suggestion. They are absolutely highly demanded :)

42 minutes ago, Zo said:

and yes there's other great stuff coming !!  and i'm talking new stuff  ... (never released !!)

Oh, my.... :) Even more compressors? ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cclarry said:

Are you saying "Buy one - get 9 Free"?  I need to understand the Math before I can do it...LOL
If that's the case, you would buy Shadow Hills at the $299 (UAD) retail price...getting 9 more free,
which would break down to $29.90 a plugin (provided all the plugins are $299)
I'd say that's a win win considering recent sales...

No i was saying on the PA store , the dynamic discount is back so one buy enogth plugins to get at least 50% on the intro price ...then transfert the extra copies to buyers and buyers use their vaucher to cover transfert fees and pay the plugin at 50% off its intro price ..

this would work if intro price minus indiviual vauchers is superieior to intro priçe minis 50%

Just now, Zo said:

No i was saying on the PA store , the dynamic discount is back so one buy enogth plugins to get at least 50% on the intro price ...then transfert the extra copies to buyers and buyers use their vaucher to cover transfert fees and pay the plugin at 50% off its intro price ..

this would work if intro price minus indiviual vauchers is superieior to intro priçe minis 50%

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh....I completely misread that...
I've had that work out many times...but it's dependent on
what your buying...so the math would be varied.  Hopefully
the intro price will be decent...The UAD one rarely goes on sale...

• Like 1