Cakewalk copies audio files when the project is saved

Daryl L. Samuel

This is the scenario...

I create a new project and drag the audio files (multi-tracks) into the project for mixing. When I save the project for the first time, this is where I get the 'save' dialog with the option to uncheck the "Copy all audio with project" box. Now the second time I save the project (i.e. save the changes I've made to the project since that first save), Cakewalk goes ahead and creates a copy of those audio files in the project folder anyway.

This is annoying. The I don't like this.

• 3 weeks later...

That setting no longer exists since per-project audio became the default someimte in SONAR Platinum era.  Now there's "Always Copy Imported Audio Files" in Preferences > File > Audio Data. The first step is to uncheck that. A copy might still be made if your 'Import Bit Depth' setting forces a change in audio format or the sample rate is not matching the project, but the new file will be created in the Global Audio Folder initially, and will stay there if you re-save after having unchecked "Copy All Audio" option in the save dialog initially.  But if the format doesn't have to change, the project will reference the file in the original location.

Edited by David Baay