Behringer X32 Producer and Cakewalk

Harddrive

Question

I'm thinking of upgrading my mixer, currently a Yamaha MG16 to a Behringer X32 Producer. Reason is that seemingly the X32 will give my band a better set of mix, effects and monitoring options and seems also to be infinitely configurable and controllable via MIDI.

Questions:

1. How controllable will it be via MIDI? As my duo used Playlisted songs, which have individual audio tracks mixed down in the Console View, can these tracks be sent via USB individually to the desk and the mix be reflected and controlled either on the screen or on the desk surface?

2. As each song loads, will the mix on the desk move or save as that song mix setting as each song loads?

3. I will need to send a mix of each song to a pair of outs to feed our in ear monitoring. Within that, I'd like a click track for musicless areas of songs where the keyboardist of soloing. Is this possible?

4. Do all individual inputs and outputs on the X32 appear in Cakewalk as options?

Many thanks. Big investment but I need your opinion before I make the leap

HARDDRIVE

2 answers to this question

My son has the Air x18 and even though I have not tested it with Cakewalk Playlists it most certainly does most of what you want it to do.
For now we are just using 3 scenes for when we swap to different instruments. We are just working on this part now and he just bought a second tablet so we’ll both have control. 
We have only used it for rehearsal so far as most gigs this summer have had systems we used. We also used our Soundcraft signature 10 mixer but it doesn’t have enough inputs etc. 

Hes been using the x18 with Cakewalk for over a year as he needs a lot of inputs for his crazy synth set up. 
As you know I just use stereo backing tracks but I do want to try the Playlist system in the future.  

I’ve never heard  any one complaining about the x32 with Cakewalk. For us the x18 has lots of inputs and outputs but i makes my son mad he has to unplug all his stuff when we practice at his house.  

I might be going over there today to help him set up the 3 mix scenes so I’ll see if we have time to figure out how you can use midi to do that. It will be perfect if it works which I don’t see why it wouldn’t 

• Thanks 1

While X32 (XAir, Midas) accepts some controlling using MIDI, that is targeting Behringer control surface X-Touch, and so only small subset of operations (you can find many resources/videos what X-Touch can do with X32). These mixers allow complete controls over OSC only (Wing use different protocol).
More information you can find there: https://sites.google.com/site/patrickmaillot/x32 Notice X32Reaper integration.

Cakewalk has no native OSC support. You will need to use AZController and organize syncing yourself, since there is no ready to use solution. That can be extreme challenging task if you want many settings synced, but you can automatically re-call pre-made settings for X32 on project load relatively easy.

Note that inputs/outputs any DAW see are USB interface channels (depending from the extension card in X32), they are not X32 analog/digital channels. You can route audio within X32

• Thanks 1