Kontakt Full version query.

Promidi

Hi folks, I hope you’re well

I know I am probably late to the game, but I may be in a position to pull the trigger on Kontakt 7 Full

Since it looks like being released in October, I am holding off acquiring Kontakt 6 Full.  I do not have any projects that use any version of Kontakt.

I am thinking, why buy 6 now (even though it's on sale at the time of this post) and then pay the upgrade price to 7, when I can just buy 7 after its release date (when it's on sale of course - BF coming up)

My question is this.  When a new version of Kontakt Full is days away from release, has Native Instruments ever let one buy the current version and then let one update to the next version as part of the package?  (Kind of like what Izotope does with RX and Ozone)

• Like 1

I don't know the answer to that question on a purchase/upgrade grace period, but I will add that I seriously doubt that Kontakt 7 will go on sale THIS black Friday. Maybe next year...

I bought into Kontakt 6 during a 50% off sale, and used a crossgrade from a licensed 3rd party Kontakt Player library to nab it for $124.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Promidi said:

Hi folks, I hope you’re well

I know I am probably late to the game, but I may be in a position to pull the trigger on Kontakt 7 Full

Since it looks like being released in October, I am holding off acquiring Kontakt 6 Full.  I do not have any projects that use any version of Kontakt.

I am thinking, why buy 6 now (even though it's on sale at the time of this post) and then pay the upgrade price to 7, when I can just buy 7 after its release date (when it's on sale of course - BF coming up)

My question is this.  When a new version of Kontakt Full is days away from release, has Native Instruments ever let one buy the current version and then let one update to the next version as part of the package?  (Kind of like what Izotope does with RX and Ozone)

521e732b730819add9ed02c2907ed49b.png

I don't know NI's policy on upgrades for purchases made very close to a new major version's release. Try asking them directly. I was able to delay upgrading to v6  until the upgrade went on sale because I hadn't purchased any libraries that required v6. I'll do the same with v7 unless they offer an upgrade sale upon release.

I also tried to grab Embertone's Arcane to quality for the €124.00 cross-grade to Kontact 6......  but the “invoices” were not containing the serial numbers to register with NI to confirm the eligibility criteria.

Maybe Embertone ran out of serial numbers.

5 hours ago, Promidi said:

I also tried to grab Embertone's Arcane to quality for the €124.00 cross-grade to Kontact 6......  but the “invoices” were not containing the serial numbers to register with NI to confirm the eligibility criteria.

Maybe Embertone ran out of serial numbers.

I have a few licensed Kontakt Player Libraries that qualified me for crossgrade offers over the years before I finally bought in to Kontakt: Sennheiser DrumMic'a (free Player version no longer available), Soniccouture Estey Reed Organ, and Amadeus Symphonic Orchestra. NI just seemed to randomly select one of those libraries and say that it "qualified" me. And I got the first two for free.

I'm sure there are others as well. The main thing is that they were 3rd party Player libraries that had to be activated via serial number in the Native Access program.

This article features free Kontakt libraries for Kontakt Player by Native Instruments:

https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2020/04/27/free-kontakt-libraries/

Edited by abacab

NI usually takes a different approach: discount the soon-to-be retired version and later offer a cheap upgrade to the new one.

K6 is currently selling for $199, down from $399. If history repeats, they'll then offer an upgrade from 6 to 7 for something like $149-$199 ($79-$99 if you wait a year). This, at least, is how it's gone since I first bought into the Kontakt universe at version 2. So it's probably safe to go ahead and grab K6 now if you're impatient. In the end K7 is going to end up costing you the same - or less - either way.

I have bought every Kontakt version since K2, and never paid even half the list price for any of them, just by waiting a year before upgrading. If you buy K6 now, it will do everything you need it to do until eventually some must-have library comes along that requires K7. That won't be for a while.

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

I have just checked out Kontakt Player 6.  Man those a small fonts.  How do you folks cope on anything bigger than a 1080p screen?

I hope 7 improves on that.   I guess we can ask those who pulled the trigger on Komplete 14 on the 27th for a unscaled screenshot.....

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Promidi said:

I have just checked out Kontakt Player 6.  Man those a small fonts.  How do you folks cope on anything bigger than a 1080p screen?

I hope 7 improves on that.   I guess we can ask those who pulled the trigger on Komplete 14 on the 27th for a unscaled screenshot.....

I'm still using 1080p, and that's a stretch with my old eyes using K6. Usable but not great.

I'm wondering about the HiDPI update in K7, as the NI info so far implies that is for the "Browser" only. The rest is probably for some future update...

Edited by abacab

59 minutes ago, abacab said:

I'm still using 1080p, and that's a stretch with my old eyes using K6. Usable but not great.

I'm wondering about the HiDPI update in K7, as the NI info so far implies that is for the "Browser" only. The rest is probably for some future update...

I would expect for an MSRP of $AU599.00 that NI could at least make an effort in this area....

12 hours ago, abacab said:

I'm on a 4K display, but running Win11 at 200% scaling, so I've turned an expensive laptop display into an old 1080p display. But some apps don't scale, and I'm stuck with fonts I can't read even with 3x reading glasses. I was looking at 32" 4K monitors, but they're stupid expensive, so I'm sticking with the 4K display built into my P17.

9 minutes ago, John Maar said:

I'm on a 4K display, but running Win11 at 200% scaling, so I've turned an expensive laptop display into an old 1080p display. But some apps don't scale, and I'm stuck with fonts I can't read even with 3x reading glasses. I was looking at 32" 4K monitors, but they're stupid expensive, so I'm sticking with the 4K display built into my P17.

That's why I use only external displays with my laptop. No laptop screen suits my eyes anymore, except for maybe checking email when traveling. At this point I am still fine with 2x 24" 1080p screens. :)

I chalk it up to Germany's superior healthcare system, under which people can afford to regularly upgrade their optical prescriptions.

My eyesight sucks, and Kontakt's tiny UI used to bother me. But over the years I've just increased the size of my displays until now it's just fine. I use a pair of inexpensive 34" monitors running at 2560 x 1080. I do realize that 34" is about as big as I can go without impinging on line-of-sight to my speakers. So if my eyes continue to degrade I'll probably end up with 60" screens and soffit-mounted speakers. Hopefully, virtual displays that project directly onto my eyeballs like a fighter pilot's HUD will someday save the day.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

To the OP...

I just bought Kontakt Komplete 13 Select from Sweetwater this week.  It is an "open box demo" so I only paid $179 for it.  Kontakt 6 and Kontakt 7 are included in the bundle.  In fact, they come with any of their Komplete packages... so I was told by their tech.

Edited by Oscar Myer
I was wrong

• 2 weeks later...