Horrible noise after Cakewalk update 28.06.0.034

Paul George Webb

I'm an old time user of Cakewalk. Just updated to version 28.06.0.034. Now, every few minutes I get massive, horrible noise and I have to rip off my headphone because the noise is so loud and painful.  I have to repeatedly stop and reset the audio engine to get Cakewalk to work again, and then a few minutes later it starts up again. I have restarted the computer and still get the same issue. It's an older computer, but I've been using it with Cakewalk for years, along with the EastWest Play engine, and Kontack 5. I'm currently editing vocals using Melodyne. 

Can I go back to a previous Cakewalk version and, if so, how? Note that I updated to 28.02.039 and then immediately updated to 28.06.0.034.

My computer has 24 GB of RAM, AMD A8-6500 APU, 3.5 GHz, Windows 10 Home

This is almost certainly nothing to do with Cakewalk, but more likely to do with a mismatch in sample rate between Cakewalk and Windows.

If you've got Cakewalk is using the same audio interface as Windows is, make sure you change your sample rate and bit depth in Windows to match what is set in your Cakewalk project.

If this doesn't fix it, I recommend re-installing your audio drivers.

Thank you, Mark. I with to Cakewalk driver settings and it is set to 44k. I clicked the ASIO panel and it shows the M-Audio M Track Plus is also set to 44k. These have been the settings for years on this same computer using Cakewalk for years. This problem only started happening today after that Cakewalk update. 

11 hours ago, Paul George Webb said:

"Now, every few minutes I get massive, horrible noise"

ooh... this sounds like a 3rd party plugin that isn't authorized.   This can happen occasionally with some plugins after a Windows update.

You'll need to bypass all the plugins in the offending project and enable them one by one to find out which one is the culprit.

This does sound somewhat like an unlicensed plugin but usually they will just go silent periodically  or "chirp" quietly.

Since you're using Melodyne did you also recently update to 5.3.0.011? This new release is not launching for me so may have other issues.

Another thing I know of that can cause loud glitches is plugin incompatibility with the 64-bit Double Precision Engine.