Spectrasonics instruments can now record themselves

bitflipper

If  you're like me, many compositions start out as doodles. Just me noodling until I hit on a melody or chord progression that I like. Spectrasonics has added a nifty feature to their instruments for folks like us: the ability to capture audio, MIDI and synth settings without a DAW. It's also a convenient way to share patches with others. Free update for Omnisphere, Keyscape and Trilian users.

I had a little trouble getting this update. When I brought up standalone Omnisphere and clicked on the Spectrasonics logo, it told me that my software was already up-to-date (v. 2.8.2c) and no updates were available. It lied. The actual current version is 2.8.4d. Then I loaded Keyscape, which did recognize that an update was available and enabled the "Get Updates" button. That took me to the online updater, where I was able to update Keyscape, Omnisphere and Trilian.

Here's Eric giving a demo:

• Like 2

Omnisphere has been a little funky for me the last couple years. When I open it and an update is available it will indicate it's up to date, but the next time I open it, it indicates that updates are available. Same thing just now. Now I have to remember to keep flow enabled ...

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/22/2022 at 11:10 AM, rsinger said:

Omnisphere has been a little funky for me the last couple years. When I open it and an update is available it will indicate it's up to date, but the next time I open it, it indicates that updates are available. Same thing just now. Now I have to remember to keep flow enabled ...

^^

The you run Omnisphere or Trillian (probably true for Keyscape as well) standalone versions they check for updates BUT you won't see that there's an update or get notified until the NEXT time you run them.  I.E. some table, file or registry entry gets updated after the load information is read.
Been this way on every computer I've owned that I had Spectrasonics installed on.
Willing to bet it's because they don't want to add even more of a lag to the time it takes the standalone to load. 

I've complained to Spectrasonics about it but apparently there's not been enough user complaints to warrant their rewriting the startup code.

So I always run Omnisphere twice (because it checks for updates on the others as well) when checking for updates.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 1

I'm saving up to buy Omnisphere before end of this year, and that is a very useful feature indeed. Currently I'm using voice memo i my Iphone to save instant ideas and have at the moment 881 memos. Most of my memos are recorded by acoustic piano though so I maybe have to get Keyscape next year as well. 😅

On 9/22/2022 at 1:56 PM, bitflipper said:

Spectrasonics has added a nifty feature to their instruments for folks like us: the ability to capture audio, MIDI and synth settings without a DAW.

That's a cool idea, adding it to an instrument! Retrospective record has been a DAW feature for years, but one is not always jamming and noodling on their VI with their DAW open.