Stupid Question of the Day - Can I use two audio interfaces at once and choose between them?

Stephen Rybacki

The problem is you can only use one ASIO driver at a time. You can use both interfaces but not together in ASIO mode.

You would have to try either WASAPI or WDM. The Focusrite supports WASAPI but older devices often don’t. 

So you can do this if you need extra inputs to record a live session. But you don’t want to be using WASAPI or WDM for overdubs or they will not be in sync. You definitely need to stay in ASIO mode for best performance. But for a live session 2 or more interfaces can work  just fine. 

Is that an M Audio fast track pro by any chance?  I have one too but it doesn’t have W10 drivers so only runs on W7. 

If this is only to occasionally use the SPDIF then you can easily just have both interfaces connected but don’t turn them both on. Before you open Cakewalk turn on the one you want to use and it will be ready to roll. I do this with a set up were I have a Tascam 1641, a Scarlett 6i6 and a Motu M4. 

For devices not designed to work together it is not worth the effort if it can be done at all.

There are manufacturers who design their interfaces to work together. This is done at the hardware level and at the driver level. IOW, the devices share a common clock and communicate with the DAW using the same ASIO driver.

AFAIK, there are no manufacturers who design their interfaces work with hardware from their competitors.

To use the M-Audio device with the Focusrite device requires figuring out a way to share a common clock and a WDM or WASAPI driver. There is no ASIO driver that supports both M-Audio and Focusrite devices.

It is possible to have to M-Audio and Focusrite devices connected to the DAW but in ASIO driver mode, only one device will be available at a time.

2 hours ago, Cactus Music said:

The problem is you can only use one ASIO driver at a time. You can use both interfaces but not together in ASIO mode.

You would have to try either WASAPI or WDM. The Focusrite supports WASAPI but older devices often don’t. 

So you can do this if you need extra inputs to record a live session. But you don’t want to be using WASAPI or WDM for overdubs or they will not be in sync. You definitely need to stay in ASIO mode for best performance. But for a live session 2 or more interfaces can work  just fine. 

Is that an M Audio fast track pro by any chance?  I have one too but it doesn’t have W10 drivers so only runs on W7. 

If this is only to occasionally use the SPDIF then you can easily just have both interfaces connected but don’t turn them both on. Before you open Cakewalk turn on the one you want to use and it will be ready to roll. I do this with a set up were I have a Tascam 1641, a Scarlett 6i6 and a Motu M4. 

Yes it is a FastTrack Pro, and I'm on Windows 11.  The real goal is to be able to record my Yamaha MO8 synth, using digital if possible.  But I can string a couple of 1/4" cables to my Focusrite if I need to do that just as easily.

Thanks folks, great forum here.

So you managed to install the old ASIO drivers?  That’s odd because I tried on 2 different W10 computers and got a warning about incompatible driver. Not that it matters but I wanted to use it on my office computer.  I’m just using the onboard audio which is just fine but it’s a hassle when I want headphones as the jacks are on the back. 

10 hours ago, Cactus Music said:

So you managed to install the old ASIO drivers?  That’s odd because I tried on 2 different W10 computers and got a warning about incompatible driver. Not that it matters but I wanted to use it on my office computer.  I’m just using the onboard audio which is just fine but it’s a hassle when I want headphones as the jacks are on the back. 

No, I didn't actually.  Didn't even bother to try since I'm on Windows 11.  BTW, your Youtube videos have been very helpful!

• Like 1

In WASAPI Exclusive and WDM mode, you should be able to use more than one audio interface at once, however as @scook has indicated, unless they have their word-clocks synced, you're likely to have some timing issues.

If you're just recording from more than one interface, this may not be too much of an issue...

If you set up your channels so that each instrument goes to its own separate input, but one instrument goes to an input on both interfaces you should be able to compare the two tracks of that instrument to see how much they're out.

So, for example... you've got your Focusrite set up as both recording and playback timing master.

You record all of your instruments together, with say the kick drum, going to an input in the Focusrite AND an input in the M-Audio interface.

When recording stops, compare the kick drum track from the Focusrite and the M-Audio interface - you'll need to zoom in enough to see the waveforms.  Now select all of the tracks that were recorded on the M-Audio interface, and while looking at both of the kick drum tracks, drag all of the selected tracks together so the waveforms in both of the kick drum tracks align exactly. 

Now they should all be in sync.

You could actually take note of the sample positions of a known peak in each kick drum track before you align them, then subtract one from the other, so you know that's the amount you need to adjust all of your M-Audio tracks by after recording.  You could even set one of your Nudge amounts in preferences to this value, so you can re-use it in the future for adjusting the tracks recorded on your M-Audio.  I'm not 100% sure this value will always be correct, but it should be good enough within the same session.

When playing back, make sure you only playback through your Focusrite.

The Fast track pro is a no go on W10 and newer so it’s not an option in any driver mode.  Still works on W7. 

I’ve only used the 2 interfaces in WDM mode on W7 and live recordings of our band.  There was no timing issues that were at least noticeable. I used a Tascam us1641 for 14 channels and a Yamaha usb mixer for Ch 15/16. I also recorded midi from the keyboard.