BBC Symphony Orchestra Discover

Keith Wilby

I've just "discovered" that this is free so I thought I'd take a look. The instruments sound great but can someone tell me please, how do you get CbB to show all of the available instruments as tracks? If I use the "All synth audio outputs: stereo" option then I get 16 audio tracks plus a MIDI track. All of the audio tracks are silent except the first one which sounds whatever instrument I've selected.

Is is a question of including an instance of the VST for each instrument you want to use?

I hope that makes sense.

Many thanks.

Edited by Keith Wilby

Yes you need to put an instance of BBC Discover on each track - it is not multi timbral.  There are key switches for the articulations in each instrument group though.

I understand that the (paid for) Unify VST will allow you to combine instances of Discover but as I have not got this others would be better placed to advise

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JoeGBradford said:

I understand that the (paid for) Unify VST will allow you to combine instances of Discover but as I have not got this others would be better placed to advise

Correct, but Unify is still not multi-out (yet). You can layer as many instruments inside Unify as you wish, but they all get mixed to one stereo audio output.

As far as the Spitfire Player goes, set up as many instrument tracks as you need (with one VST instrument instance on each), and then save it as a CbB template so you only have to do that once. Each instrument track will have one stereo audio output appearing in the console, available for flexible mixing setups.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Keith Wilby said:

I've just "discovered" that this is free so I thought I'd take a look. The instruments sound great but can someone tell me please, how do you get CbB to show all of the available instruments as tracks? If I use the "All synth audio outputs: stereo" option then I get 16 audio tracks plus a MIDI track. All of the audio tracks are silent except the first one which sounds whatever instrument I've selected.

Is is a question of including an instance of the VST for each instrument you want to use?

I hope that makes sense.

Many thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Great Idea 1