EastWest Forbidden Planet 50% off

Fleer

Out of curiosity, am I correct that this is the only EW product outside of the full orchestra (and Composer Cloud) that qualifies a user for the Opus engine?

I have one older library and am considering a couple of others, but I'm stuck on Play and (from previous CC experience) prefer Opus and got better performance with it on my machine. EastWest mentioned a while back that there would eventually be a (paid) option to upgrade to Opus with "legacy" products, but if they've peeped further about it since, I've missed it.

I'm not really in the market for the full-blown HOOPUS, so this could be a cheaper way to get Opus access and presumably open up access for other libs of interest. Not a "cheap" way -- or probably "cheap enough" way at this point -- but I'm trying to keep the viable options in mind, if EW's non-CC Opus availability is further years in the offing.

3 hours ago, Zolton said:

Out of curiosity, am I correct that this is the only EW product outside of the full orchestra (and Composer Cloud) that qualifies a user for the Opus engine?

I have one older library and am considering a couple of others, but I'm stuck on Play and (from previous CC experience) prefer Opus and got better performance with it on my machine. EastWest mentioned a while back that there would eventually be a (paid) option to upgrade to Opus with "legacy" products, but if they've peeped further about it since, I've missed it.

I'm not really in the market for the full-blown HOOPUS, so this could be a cheaper way to get Opus access and presumably open up access for other libs of interest. Not a "cheap" way -- or probably "cheap enough" way at this point -- but I'm trying to keep the viable options in mind, if EW's non-CC Opus availability is further years in the offing.

I thought that most newly registered licences for their products will give you an Opus license.

If you look at them, under system requirements they mention Opus,  which makes sense as it replaces Play.

Examples:

https://www.soundsonline.com/vocals/voices-of-opera

https://www.soundsonline.com/world-and-traditional/silk

Edited by Technostica
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Technostica said:

I thought that most newly registered licences for their products will give you an Opus license.

That would be fantastic, if it's now the case. I bought Gypsy last October after cancelling a CC subscription and lost access to Opus in the process; the lib only runs in Play for me. 

(As a refresher for me on what the behavior here is, I just found that I could download and install the latest Opus version from the EW Installation Center, where I see my Gypsy license. Trying to open Opus got me a message to update my iLok Manager and after doing that, trying to open/activate Opus led to an iLok message that "You don't have any licenses in your account, or none of the licenses there have activations available." )

At least for me, and for a purchase nearly a year ago, the lib license doesn't also appear to come with an Opus license or confer Opus access. I'm not sure whether the verbiage is in the product docs because they work with Opus in the context of Composer Cloud (which they do) or if something's changed more recently and Opus access now comes along for the ride. I'm pretty sure I saw that EW planned to charge for Opus access for "legacy" lib purchases someday, though, so I suspect my situation is still the status quo.

27 minutes ago, Zolton said:

That would be fantastic, if it's now the case. I bought Gypsy last October after cancelling a CC subscription and lost access to Opus in the process; the lib only runs in Play for me. 

(As a refresher for me on what the behavior here is, I just found that I could download and install the latest Opus version from the EW Installation Center, where I see my Gypsy license. Trying to open Opus got me a message to update my iLok Manager and after doing that, trying to open/activate Opus led to an iLok message that "You don't have any licenses in your account, or none of the licenses there have activations available." )

At least for me, and for a purchase nearly a year ago, the lib license doesn't also appear to come with an Opus license or confer Opus access. I'm not sure whether the verbiage is in the product docs because they work with Opus in the context of Composer Cloud (which they do) or if something's changed more recently and Opus access now comes along for the ride. I'm pretty sure I saw that EW planned to charge for Opus access for "legacy" lib purchases someday, though, so I suspect my situation is still the status quo.

I read that they didn't want to open up Opus to all users at once as the tech support surge could have been too much.

That made sense.

29 minutes ago, Technostica said:

I read that they didn't want to open up Opus to all users at once as the tech support surge could have been too much.

That made sense.

Yeah, absolutely. I'd just prefer that the roadmap was a little clearer by now.

• Like 1