Sektor

cclarry

Anybody actually using this synth? Just curious.

I have enough virtual cash at PIB to get it for about half the sale price. But I would rather hold off from buying another synth just because it's almost free.

I already own enough good synths that I haven't fully mastered yet, so I was just looking for opinions on whether there is anything special or unique about this one. More a case of, will I regret passing this one up later?

6 hours ago, abacab said:

Anybody actually using this synth? Just curious.

I have enough virtual cash at PIB to get it for about half the sale price. But I would rather hold off from buying another synth just because it's almost free.

I already own enough good synths that I haven't fully mastered yet, so I was just looking for opinions on whether there is anything special or unique about this one. More a case of, will I regret passing this one up later?

I think your own advice is the best.    This is why I an passing on it.

6 hours ago, TheSteven said:

In case you're looking for more info here's the thread link about the previous sale...

Thanks, but I already saw that, and read the reviews at KVR, both good and bad. I got the impression that it's mostly a Serum knock-off, which is a synth that I never felt the need to own.

So I am curious what folks here may think now that they have owned Sektor for a few days, weeks, months. You know, after the new smell has worn off. xD

I could demo it, but it would still have that new smell, so I'm afraid that I  might give in! ;)

OK, tried the demo and then I caved in... :D

It ended up costing me $5.38, so no regrets!

I played with the demo for about an hour, and really clicked with the intuitive workflow. This synth has a lot of potential, and I hope that they keep developing it. I like the GUI, and everything is laid out so that you can easily figure out what everything is doing.

I really like this trend of UI streamlining for ease of use that is getting popular with the more recent synth releases, with synths such as this one, and  Pigments, etc.

It really doesn't matter how powerful a synth may be, if the good stuff is buried deep in the interface!

• Like 2

Just noticed that you can get the 1.3 beta update from Initial Audio. I am using it and have had no issues so far.

https://initialaudio.com/my-account/sektor-v1-3/ 

Note that the link has "my-account" within it so you may need to be logged in for it to work.

Here's the changelog:

Sektor Version 1.3

Improvements:
-Switched to a much cleaner sounding limiter on the output of the synth so sounds better when the volume is pushed hard.
-Made the resonance of the filter less extreme at high settings.
-Adjusted the cutoff range for the filter.
-Added 2 new filter types Analog lowpass and Analog Highpass.
-Improved the filter menu to have more descriptive names.
-Added a more analog sounding overdrive to the master section and filters.
-Reduced the CPU usage of the Convolution reverb.
-Added a clear notes button and Humanize mode to the sequencer.
-Hold Ctrl or Command while dragging on the Osc+ page to set finer values.
-Added support for loop points in user wav files. When enabling Loop mode in the sampler if the file contains loop points these will be used instead of looping from the end of the file.
-Tooltips now take longer to show, so they don’t popup quite as much.
-Improved the level meter to show peaks more accurately.
-Improved the CPU usage of the GUI.
-When Clicking the link to generate serial, the machine name and activation code are automatically entered.
-Users can now move or install Sektors content to another harddrive instead of being forced to install all content to the main drive.

Fixes:
-Samples where not retriggering correctly in mono mode with long release times.
-In MPE Mode Glide wasn’t always polyphonic.
-Fixed Heat Up 3 instruments not loading in the sample oscillator.
-Fixed a possible crash when an Impulse response was missing.
-Higher notes were louder in volume that lower notes, added some attenuation to balance out the difference to sound more natural.
-Fixed some values sticking when turning modulations off.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2