$65 🎸 AcousticSamples Bass Collection

daveiv

21 minutes ago, Vernon Barnes said:

I have the old Kontakt version of Bassysm-F. It's pretty good. I don't know if the UVI version is improved.

Likely. Its functionality had be written in a real programming language called Lua, instead of the atrocious KSP of Kontakt.

1 hour ago, daveiv said:

I know right? I have JBass and the guitar collection from them. Can't be happier.

Recommend anything from AS?

I’ve got the guitar and funky keys bundles. Love them, but surely would like that B5 organ. Meanwhile, this bass bundle is very welcome. I like UVI quite a bit, even prefer it to Kontakt, and then there’s Falcon.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, daveiv said:

Likely. Its functionality had be written in a real programming language called Lua, instead of the atrocious KSP of Kontakt.

That's interesting.  I have some UVI libraries but nothing with sophisticated scripting like my KONTAKT guitar, bass and string libraries. I've kind of thought of KONTAKT as the only sampler for heavily scripted, highly detailed sample libraries of acoustic instruments and thought of UVI as less sophisticated in that regard, so I've never given the string libraries in that format a serious look (this does have a basis in a sample developer I've advised who has some UVI libraries,  but that was several years ago and things may be different today). 

I'm especially interested because I'm looking for a really nice string/cello library and would definitely be happy to expand my consideration set. Are there some UVI libraries you find very well scripted you'd recommend? 

Edited by Peter Woods
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Peter Woods said:

That's interesting.  I have some UVI libraries but nothing with sophisticated scripting like my KONTAKT guitar, bass and string libraries. I've kind of thought of KONTAKT as the only sampler for heavily scripted, highly detailed sample libraries of acoustic instruments and thought of UVI as less sophisticated in that regard, so I've never given the string libraries in that format a serious look (this does have a basis in a sample developer I've advised who has some UVI libraries,  but that was several years ago and things may be different today). 

I'm especially interested because I'm looking for a really nice string/cello library and would definitely be happy to expand my consideration set. Are there some UVI libraries you find very well scripted you'd recommend? 

I have very few libraries that run in UVI, Peter, but my experience has been that the scripting of those libraries is top notch. For example, the VILabs pianos (Ravenscroft and Modern U even moreso) are brilliantly programmed. I'm a VSL fanboy for pianos, but Modern U may be the best scripted acoustic instrument library I own.

Re Cello VIs, have you checked out Bohemian Cello by Virhamonic? It's exceptionally good, and on sale (still pricey) while the next update is still in development. It runs in UVI, though the new version will be in a different format. I have good cello libraries that run in Kontakt (Tina Guo 1 & 2; Blakus) but for what I want it to do, Virharmonic is lightyears ahead. It's truly a 'play like a pianist, sound like a cellist' sort of VI.

https://www.virharmonic.com/bohemian_cello    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Peter Woods said:

No, sir. I don't have any recommendation besides AcousticSamples. I read some people are unhappy about UVI's own libraries after they enjoy AS stuff. So I decided to avoid them. Virharmonic has UVI-based string libraries, but they're switching to UJAM's Gorilla Engine.

Your thought about Kontakt isn't unfounded. I believe it's the first sampler with scripting capabilities available to the 3rd parties. I wasn't totally fair about KSP. Despite its warts, it's an adequate DSL (domain-specific language) running on a decent platform that allows developers to implement sophisticated logic for their sample libraries.

Steinberg's Halion is another sampler that uses Lua.

16 minutes ago, daveiv said:

No, sir. I don't have any recommendation besides AcousticSamples. I read some people are unhappy about UVI's own libraries after they enjoy AS stuff. So I decided to avoid them. Virharmonic has UVI-based string libraries, but they're switching to UJAM's Gorilla Engine.

Your thought about Kontakt isn't unfounded. I believe it's the first sampler with scripting capabilities available to the 3rd parties. I wasn't totally fair about KSP. Despite its warts, it's an adequate DSL (domain-specific language) running on a decent platform that allows developers to implement sophisticated logic for their sample libraries.

Thanks. I don't do an scripting,  so I definitely defer to you on the topic as well as the devs I know. I was just wondering if maybe UVI had  taken some leaps in that regard since I last thought about them. I also have some HALion libraries that I like a lot and I'm not a developer,  but I think Halion is actually pretty decent  sampler (from a user perspective) and probably is worthy of more attention than it gets in the various forums. (I only use the player, but I like it.) 

Edited by Peter Woods

7 hours ago, Peter Woods said:

Thanks. I don't do an scripting,  so I definitely defer to you on the topic as well as the devs I know. I was just wondering if maybe UVI had  taken some leaps in that regard since I last thought about them. I also have some HALion libraries that I like a lot and I'm not a developer,  but I think Halion is actually pretty decent  sampler (from a user perspective) and probably is worthy of more attention than it gets in the various forums. (I only use the player, but I like it.) 

I've been using Lua for the past ten years on and off. It's usually embedded into larger software, which might be video games or a set of programs running inside a device to control a factory. It's very optimized: runs very fast with minimal memory footprint. In our use case, a sample library vendor can develop algorithms in Lua to implement an AI drummer, and it would operate as smoothly as if it's a VST plugin programmed in C++.

I've just skimmed through UVI scripting documentary, and it looks pretty good. But $300 UVI Falcon is difficult for me to justify, and it doesn't seem to allow distributing 3rd party sample libraries without a prior agreement with UVI.

Kontakt with Lua would be a real game changer, though. Maybe in Kontakt 8, who knows? Kontakt Creator Tools has Lua scripting, but that program is used only to manage the creation of a Kontakt instrument, those scripts aren't running in the instrument itself.

By the way, if you're interested in trying out programming, LÖVE is a nice little game engine that uses Lua. It also has plenty of tutorials and a very active community helpful for beginners. There are successful indie games made with LÖVE.

22 hours ago, Fleer said:

I’ve got the guitar and funky keys bundles. Love them, but surely would like that B5 organ. Meanwhile, this bass bundle is very welcome. I like UVI quite a bit, even prefer it to Kontakt, and then there’s Falcon.  

I was checking out their Wurli demo and it sounded great.  I wasn't even aware of it until now. 

• Like 1

If anyone is reading my above comment and also into Wurlis like I am -- which is pretty evident if anyone has noticed my posts and original and cover songs I share -- AS' Wurlie library just went to the top of my must buy list.  i recently picked up the SoundPaint Wurli for $20USD, which is great for $20, just for some of the cool presets, but this Acoustic Samples library is on a whole other level and reminds me of the Wurlitzer 200A electric piano (AS sampled the student model, but the tone is basically identical except that the student model lacks a tremolo function) I grew up with in our home and was absolutely in love with since my early childhood. 

I was planning to buy e-Instruments Wurli the next time it went on sale, but after hearing AS' Wurlie, I am in love. I have never heard a demo for a Wurli library I love as much as this one. I have several UVI instruments and definitely don't find it as user friendly as KONTAKT, but the tone of this library in those demos is exactly what I've been searching for. They better have a sale soon! I may not be able to hold out until Black Friday. @Audio Plugin Deals. please work with Acoustic Samples to have a sale on their Wurlie library! It sounds amazing. I am seriously a superfan. I'm not sure I can make it through an entire week without buying this and I have a son who will soon be starting college, so I need you guys to put this on sale! 

https://www.acousticsamples.net/keys/wurlie

Edited by Peter Woods
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, daveiv said:

I never considered piano libraries heavily scripted like a string or guitar library needs to be to sound authentic in real time (btw, don't misinterpret that as me challenging your knowledge, because I'm not, I dont know how to script, you do, Im just saying that was my assumption  and while I've advised a bunch of developers,  I don't think I've ever had a dialogue on piano library scripting, so that's just been my assumption, that is, I realize I could be wrong). I do own the UVI Model D library and really like it.  I also own UVIs Mellotron library, which is modest, but very nice. 

8 hours ago, Peter Woods said:

I never considered piano libraries heavily scripted like a string or guitar library needs to be to sound authentic in real time (btw, don't misinterpret that as me challenging your knowledge, because I'm not, I dont know how to script, you do, Im just saying that was my assumption  and while I've advised a bunch of developers,  I don't think I've ever had a dialogue on piano library scripting, so that's just been my assumption, that is, I realize I could be wrong). I do own the UVI Model D library and really like it.  I also own UVIs Mellotron library, which is modest, but very nice. 

Toontrack EZkeys comes to my mind for a heavily scripted piano library. Not my thing, but many people seem to enjoy its groove functionality.

AIR Music's Velvet electric piano emulates key action, mechanics noise, velocity curve, and such for four electric pianos. It also has a nice FX chain. It does a great job in such a small package, combining samples and physical modeling, but that's mostly DSP programming, not UI scripting.

I agree that most piano VI scripts only deal with microphone levels, and maybe some FX like reverberation.

Acoustic Samples is the same company that constantly has specials on their guitars - usually a package of 3 or 4 instruments.    I (and others here) have commented many times about how those guitars sound nice but are very difficult to use.    As a matter of fact, I never use them because of their difficulty.

I have never heard of these Acoustic Samples basses, but when I go the Acoustic Samples website they are not even listed, which makes me wonder if these basses are VERY old and may exhibit all the problems that the guitars have.

3 minutes ago, Michael A.D. said:

Acoustic Samples is the same company that constantly has specials on their guitars - usually a package of 3 or 4 instruments.    I (and others here) have commented many times about how those guitars sound nice but are very difficult to use.    As a matter of fact, I never use them because of their difficulty.

I have never heard of these Acoustic Samples basses, but when I go the Acoustic Samples website they are not even listed, which makes me wonder if these basses are VERY old and may exhibit all the problems that the guitars have.

https://www.acousticsamples.net/bass

https://www.acousticsamples.net/bundles/as-bass-collection

What problems did you have with their guitar VIs?

6 minutes ago, Michael A.D. said:

I can speak to that. I recognize some of the libraries from more than a decade ago. Maybe they've updated the libraries,  but some of them go back maybe 15 years when AcousticSamples was still making KONTAKT libraries. 

Edited by Peter Woods