Projects using Decent Sampler crash Cakewalk

Oriel

Question

I've been using the Decent Sampler plugin for my projects on and off, and recently more often than not, trying to load any of them causes Cakewalk to crash or close entirely. I've also tried creating new projects and now when I try to add a new track with the Decent Sampler plugin the same problem occurs. Once in a while it will allow me to load my projects and use Decent Sampler without any issues. I don't have a clue as to why this is. Any help would be much appreciated.

I recorded what it looks like when it crashes here: https://youtu.be/NpBdJNk2-8A

4 answers to this question

Not really a lot to go on here.

Can you give us some info about your setup (see my signatuire for some of the info we need).

Is Decent Sampler 32bit or 64bit.  VST2 or VST3.  If VST3, can you try VST2, or vice wersa

To open the project without the plugin, With a fresh Cakewalk open, Hold shift while opening a project.  Then you can bypass plugins.

Are you running Cakewalk by Bandlab 2022.6 Build 34? (The latest)

I am assuming you are using the latest version of Decent Sampler, your hardware drivers.

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling your hardware drivers (Not just for your Audio interface). Do this using manufacturer's websites rather than Windows updates. While you’re at it, you might as well check you are using the latest versions.

I had similar problems recently - I updated to most recent Decent Sampler and that seems to have helped

I did, however, have a crash  a few days ago when scrolling through my library of DS sounds when after loading a few sounds there was no audio coming from DS and the coloured keymapped area on the GUI turned white. When I closed the project CbB crashed but did produce a dump report which Dave Hilowitz is looking into

• Like 1

Sorry, I'm kind of new to this.

Windows 10 Pro 21H1 64bit (19043.2006). Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz   2.80 GHz. 12 GB ram. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB.

I am currently using Cakewalk itself with only MIDI tracks, no MIDI controller, no microphone, no Audio Interface.

I am running the latest Cakewalk build. I started with Decent Sampler (v1.6.3) VST3 but I think I switched to VST2 several days ago when trying to fix the issue. I just checked and VST3 still causes the same issue. I'm assuming because Cakewalk and my computer say they are 64bit that it's using 64bit Decent Sampler, but when I installed Decent Sampler I'm pretty sure it installed both 32bit and 64bit so I don't know.

Other plugins I have installed are BBC Symphony Orchestra Discover  v1.5.0 VST3(which I just found out can also crash Cakewalk similar to DS), Love-Fi 2 Lite VST3, Kontakt VST3, Komplete Kontrol VST3, AlterEgo VST2/VST3, LABS v1.5.1 VST3, and sforzando VST2/VST3.

EDIT: After figuring out which DS plugin files were causing Cakewalk to crash via Event Viewer (with my dad's help), I removed them from the plugin folders, forcing Cakewalk to use the 32bit (VST2), which doesn't seem to cause it to crash anymore. So I'm guessing there is something wrong with the 64bit DS.

Edited by Oriel

4 minutes ago, Oriel said:

Sorry, I'm kind of new to this.

Windows 10 Pro 21H1 64bit (19043.2006). Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz   2.80 GHz. 12 GB ram. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB.

I am currently using Cakewalk itself with MIDI tracks, no MIDI controller, no microphone, no Audio Interface.

I am running the latest Cakewalk build. I started with Decent Sampler (v1.6.3) VST3 but I think I switched to VST2 several days ago when trying to fix the issue. I just checked and VST3 still causes the same issue. I'm assuming because Cakewalk and my computer say they are 64bit that it's using 64bit Decent Sampler, but when I installed Decent Sampler I'm pretty sure it installed both 32bit and 64bit so I don't know.

Other plugins I have installed are BBC Symphony Orchestra Discover  v1.5.0 VST3(which I just found out can also crash Cakewalk similar to DS), Love-Fi 2 Lite VST3, Kontakt VST3, Komplete Kontrol VST3, AlterEgo VST2/VST3, LABS v1.5.1 VST3, and sforzando VST2/VST3.

EDIT: After figuring out which DS plugin files were causing Cakewalk to crash via Event Viewer (with my dad's help), I removed them from the plugin folders, forcing Cakewalk to use the 32bit (VST2), which doesn't seem to cause it to crash anymore. So I'm guessing there is something wrong with the 64bit DS.

I believe decent sampler has some current issues .  I’ve run into a number of problems with it myself. The last straw was when it prevented the project from opening. I’ve since stopped using it.