I Should Have Seen It Coming

53mph

Hi guys,

It's been a long time since I've written new music, but this track was written and recorded within a week.  It just came out fully formed.

I'd love to know what you think. Thanks. 

Note: I've updated the link to the most recent version.

Edited by Philip G Hunt
  • Like 4

Philip, I agree , laid back and smooth. There are a few squeaks I would remove but , I think I would leave the majority of them in (maybe just tamed a little). I've been listening to a lot of "Train" lately and I think they're "boosting" the string squeaks on a few of their slower songs. If done well I think it adds to the live feel of a performance. The only thing I would suggest is maybe changing the 2 and 4 to more of a snare sound when you hit around the 2:04 mark giving the drums a little more variety with a small power boost.    Very Nice song and performance.    Enjoyed it ..          mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, mark skinner said:

Philip, I agree , laid back and smooth. There are a few squeaks I would remove but , I think I would leave the majority of them in (maybe just tamed a little). I've been listening to a lot of "Train" lately and I think they're "boosting" the string squeaks on a few of their slower songs. If done well I think it adds to the live feel of a performance. The only thing I would suggest is maybe changing the 2 and 4 to more of a snare sound when you hit around the 2:04 mark giving the drums a little more variety with a small power boost.    Very Nice song and performance.    Enjoyed it ..          mark

Thanks for the focused feedback. I've worked a bit on the drums (added some variations here and there) and boosted the snare from the chorus on.

Here's the newer version.

• Like 3

Phillip, you've written a beautiful song that sets a mood.  Your lyrics are very relatable, and while poignant, they convey the mood very well.  The only thing that I noticed was that the overall mix sounds a little "muffled" and low in level.  Perhaps a hi-pass filter on the vocals or mix might clear things up a bit, but if you do nothing else, it is a success.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lynn Wilson said:

Phillip, you've written a beautiful song that sets a mood.  Your lyrics are very relatable, and while poignant, they convey the mood very well.  The only thing that I noticed was that the overall mix sounds a little "muffled" and low in level.  Perhaps a hi-pass filter on the vocals or mix might clear things up a bit, but if you do nothing else, it is a success.

Thanks Lynn, I really appreciate that.

I've been mixing and mastering everything myself (on headphones). I used Ozone 9's suggested settings but found them too 'high end' for my ears, so I pulled back on the bass suppression and high boost. Perhaps too much. I'll go back and have a listen tomorrow with fresh ears.

Do you know Thurston Moore's acoustic albums? I've got that sound in my head when I made this track....that and Saddle Creek.

But thanks for the listen. I'm glad it resonates with you. 🙏

Edited by Philip G Hunt