Is it possible to install -- DURING THE INSTALL -- on a different drive?

Jenny

Question

My C drive is almost full, I can't move things, but I have a LOT of space on my D drive.  Every other program I have ever installed allows me to choose where to install it, but this one just won't let me that I can find, it fills up my C drive and renders my computer basically unusable until I uninstall it.  I've tried now three times looking for a way to change where it installs, where files go, and there is literally nothing that I can see, which seems insane to me.  I've searched and seen that I can move things around maybe afterwards, which, okay I guess... but why can't I choose where it goes during the install?  I've honestly never had such problems with a program before so I feel like it must be me, it can't possibly be designed this badly....

3 answers to this question

There are some things that Cakewalk installs that MUST remain on the system drive because of certain conventions. In particular, some shared system libraries or the location of some plugins so it remains in compliance with the spec.

What I'd recommend is setting up a junction point for your Cakewalk program folder so to the system it will still look like it's on your system drive for all intents and purposes, but the files will actually be on whatever other drive you prefer.

Make a Cakewalk directory on your D drive, move all of the files over from C:\Program Files\Cakewalk to that Cakewalk directory, and then from a command prompt, do this:

mklink /j "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk" "D:\Cakewalk"  

(or whatever folder you made)

I'd probably recommend doing the same for C:\Cakewalk Content and C:\Cakewalk Projects too

I personally have both of those folders on a different drive to my system using this method, but I decided to have the main files still installed on my system drive.

I'm aware the question was "During the install" and for that, the answer is "no" (unless you set up those junctions first) but there's a good reason for that.  I'd also suggest that if your drive is that low on space, it's asking for trouble going forward in general. That directory junction trick will get you out of trouble in the interim, but a bigger drive is definitely a good idea.

Edited by Lord Tim
  • Great Idea 1