UVI World Suite 2 updated to 1.08 (Not a deal)

Promidi

3 hours ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

I believe World Suite is an update of World Traditions.

I don’t think it was presented that way. World Traditions, on just a purely technical basis, was an extremely poorly sampled library eg, noisy, sounds cut off in the wrong place, etc. That was pretty much the consensus of those who tried it at the time. I think World Suite was UVI’s attempt to go in a different direction, given that Traditions was so poorly received.

Edited by LAGinz
  • Like 1

I might be wrong on this, but I think the reason UVI make us download the whole thing is that UFS files are like image files that contains an entire disk structure - complete with folder and files.

It's a bit like changing the content of a zip file or a RAR file, or even a VMWare image file.  A program would have open the complete archive, make the change, then re-save the entire archive.

Probably not ideal.....  but it is what it is.

Maybe drop an note to UVI to see if they are open to doing it another way that does not involve downloading humongous files.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, LAGinz said:

I don’t think it was presented that way. World Traditions, on just a purely technical basis, was an extremely poorly sampled library eg, noisy, sounds cut off in the wrong place, etc. That was pretty much the consensus of those who tried it at the time. I think World Suite was UVI’s attempt to go in a different direction, given that Traditions was so poorly received.

That's very interesting.  

Looking up an old VI:Control Post, I see this:

If you did own the older World Traditions and Ethno libraries, you will be happy to know that this release did include the legacy instruments with lot of enhancements and new material including new instruments such as : Mbira, Karimba, African Guitar Loops, New Taiko multi mics, Latin Zither, Didgeridoo phrase player, Irish Bouzouki, Bulgarian Tupan, Eastern Accordion & Lyra, Moldovian Cymbalum, Russian Balalaika, Ukrainian Bandura, Persian Daf, Turkish Lyra, Santur, Armenian Duduk, Alpine Zither, Finnish Kantele, Nordics Pianos, Italian Accordions, Crazy Flamenco rhythm player with chords recognition and automatic tempo matching, Steel Tongue Drum, Sun Drum, enhanced Steel Drums, Traveler loops inspiration players, Vocal Traveler modules , Gypsy Solo Guitar phrases. UVI added also legato, portamento, and tremolo articulations.

To my knowledge, UVI has never been very explicit about where the sounds come from for the World Suite series.  Did they ever come out and say "these are all new recordings"?  Maybe they did.

When you look at World Suite 2, you can see they added a lot of instruments from Precisionsound.  They didn't say this publicly, but it was obvious--same exact names of singular instruments, same sounds.  They didn't say this publicly, they just said they added these instruments and then incorporated them into their interface.  Precisionsound instruments are Kontakt.

So they are not an open book about the sources of World Suite.  You just have to take it on face value and see if it's worth the money.  I think it is.   If you look at Best Service's EthnoWorld, it is now in version 6.  Most people find the more recent recordings to be the best.  So it's something of a mixed bag too. But overall, I think EthnoWorld is the better of the two. But I have gotten a lot of enjoyment and use out of World Suite.

What's good about these massive libraries is that they allow people who are not familiar with world instruments to explore--which is exactly what I did.  And then if you get into these sounds, you can find better instruments. But a lot of them are just fine as they are. There are so many great colors for people to add to their music.

I believe World Traditions was a UVI repackaging of  MOTU's  Ethno.  Because it was so poorly received, I think they knew they needed a new product.     I always assumed they used the existing material as a starting point for World Suite, reworked some of the old sounds, recorded new ones, and most importantly, gave everything  a new interface.

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Like 1