Hearing Loss

Bristol_Jonesey

Could be an interesting development

I recently had a hearing test, only to discover that the top end has rolled off significantly and I'll be wearing hearing aids from Thursday of this week

I'm dreading listening to my mixes and finding that I've over compensated in my mixes and added to much HF

The Audiologist let me wear an identical pair to the ones I'm getting (they are fully programmable via Bluetooth) and WOW! What a difference they made.

I guess I'll have to also train my wife into not having to repeat everything she says 😂and also turn the TV down

Anyone else with a similar tale?

I have had hearing loss since I was 2 years old, due to multiple infections. So bad that I had to get a tintanoplasty done on my right ear when I was 10.
I should probably get hearing aids, but then I might hear the roommate telling me to take the garbage out.

31 minutes ago, Bapu said:

Since I mix on headphones, hearing aids are out of the question for music making.

OTH I need them for everyday life and since my old pair do nothing for me (purchased about 12 years ago) it's time to consider getting another pair.

Honestly Ed, the difference was night & day for me.

But they're not cheap!

But the nice thing about these is that if I have a test in the future and my hearing has changed again, their software can produce a new compensation curve and reprogram both aids. Smart stuff

Is something that will get us all if we live long enough. The curve at the 1:55 mark is the average for high-end roll off. I am still above the curve but the OP made me realize there have been situations where I wish I had hearing aids so I could take them out 😁

Edited by mettelus

I was able to hear 18000 Hz on my headphones. I didn't think I would get that high (frequency wise). It sounded quite a bit lower (no pun intended) that the other frequencies though.

I wasn't very kind to my hearing when I was young, but have taken better and better care of it as I've gotten older.

Ozone 9 Advanced is your friend. I suffer from high and low end hearing loss. I did take a supplement and it helped a lot but my hearing will change from time to time.

O9A shows you a graphical representation of your EQ curve and you can see where you have peaks and valleys compared to popular mixes or a selection of mixes you want to emulate the EQ curve of. It completely changed my mixes and masters for the better. They've never been as close to pro sounding recordings. I know they never will be at that level due to my recording environment and gear limitations but O9A can help you polish things. I imagine in the coming years after AI has advanced even more it will get even easier.

The last 3 mixes and masters I did I used headphones only and O9A and they were the best I've ever done.

But yeah. I've had hearing loss and tinnitus since I was a kid. You get used to it or you go insane. One or the other.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2022 at 1:11 PM, Bapu said:

Since I mix on headphones, hearing aids are out of the question for music making.

OTH I need them for everyday life and since my old pair do nothing for me (purchased about 12 years ago) it's time to consider getting another pair.

The twuth is  my old hearing aide works grate for Mono  listening . Still it may be a good time to let go of the old technology and get a new pair .

394810320_Bapuwearhorn.thumb.jpg.57f533f9b8b5f62d52643f0b5b3f1caf.jpg

Kenny

• Like 1

Caveat to that above video... I remember downloading the audio in that way back when and the frequencies were not accurate (high end at all), plus the guy is talking over them. A better test to try for yourself is to add MOscillator (part of Melda's FreeFXBundle) to an empty audio track, wear headphones to isolate each ear, and adjust the frequency in the upper right of the GUI. You can further isolate by panning MOscillator to only one ear (helps when one compensates the other). By default, higher frequencies have less power, so volume will drop off as frequency increases, but you will reach a point where you cannot hear it regardless of volume. I am not sure how the real test is run... i.e., which frequencies and dB level for used for each tone for an actual "hearing test"... I think jacking up 14KHz to 120 dB is probably cheating!