Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd Gen only $349.99

jesse g

Hey folks,

I found a Scarlett 18i20 2nd Gen audio Interface brand new being sold from the Focusrite site for a steal.   

Click on the link to take advantage of the deal.    I already have a 3rd Gen one, but for the person who needs one and doesn't want to pay full price, the price is "rite".  Get it, Focus - rite,...   (Nevermind)

Focusrite 18i20 Gen 2

Edited by jesse g
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Last Call said:

Wow, it sold too fast!? 🤣

It is still available from  the  Focusrite warehouse location, I just looked at it and then added it to my cart then went to check out and it was still there.

Oh, I see there are 10 of them remaining

Edited by jesse g
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, RSMcGuitar said:

They still actively update drivers for these. 

That is correct,  drives were just  updated June 2022, That is what makes it such a good buy.  The Focusrite control for this Gen 2 is that same as the Gen 3.  The version is Focusrite Control - 3.11.0.19833.11, which includes the current drivers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, jesse g said:

Post here and let us know if you took advantage of the deal! 👍

I didn't do the deal, because I am happy with my Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen, a flawless unit with great ASIO latency. Don't need the extra audio ins and outs.

But comparing the overall specs on the 18i20 2nd and 3rd gen units, the improvements on the 3rd gen seem marginally better. I would go for the 2nd gen if I needed the extra capacity today! :)

I was going to say I am waiting and saving for the Clarett+ 8, but I realized it's too expensive so I am aiming for the Audient iD44 Mk II (although yeah, the Clarett has 8 inputs so idk).

I am looking for a decent headphone output and Scarletts and M1 (Motu) aren't good at all for my needs. (Read Claretts have a better headphone output than Scarletts).

43 minutes ago, Last Call said:

I was going to say I am waiting and saving for the Clarett+ 8, but I realized it's too expensive so I am aiming for the Audient iD44 Mk II (although yeah, the Clarett has 8 inputs so idk).

I am looking for a decent headphone output and Scarletts and M1 (Motu) aren't good at all for my needs. (Read Claretts have a better headphone output than Scarletts).

I have never used the headphone outs on any of my audio interfaces since I got the original Mackie Big Knob.   I bring my audio into the Big Knob from my interface and then distribute it to where it needs to go.

Edited by jesse g

3 hours ago, jesse g said:

I have never used the headphone outs on any of my audio interfaces since I got the original Mackie Big Knob.   I bring my audio into the Big Knob from my interface and then distribute it to where it needs to go.

Fair enough.

Where do you plug your headphones then?

11 hours ago, Last Call said:

Fair enough.

Where do you plug your headphones then?

For my use, I plug then directly into the the Big Knob head phone jack on the front (two of them).  For the artist, I have a Presonus HP4 headphone amp coming out of the head phone amp outputs at the rear of the  Big Knob.

image.png.1ab45b39f0ce1589c88d7434a0f3fab6.pngimage.png.1b3687258a1685cd8c2da4ec152af062.png

Edited by jesse g
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Last Call said:

This guy does a great job comparing headphone outputs for a variety of audio  interfaces: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jesse g said:

For my use, I plug then directly into the the Big Knob head phone jack on the front (two of them).  For the artist, I have a Presonus HP4 headphone amp coming out of the head phone amp outputs at the rear of the  Big Knob.

image.png.1ab45b39f0ce1589c88d7434a0f3fab6.pngimage.png.1b3687258a1685cd8c2da4ec152af062.png

That Big knob looks amazing, they have several models, I thought you had the passive controller box.

Do you like it a lot? (Headphone output)

What headphones do you have?

I have the Sennheiser HD820, love them.

I stole this headphone summary from one of Julian's videos. It seems the 18i20 3rd generation has mediocre headphone performance. Don't know about Gen2 but Julian mentioned gen3 didn't changed much in this regard, so I'll assume gen2 is also not an excellent headphone driver. 

Audio Interface Headphone Out.png

• Thanks 1

The bad thing about Julian is I think he's deaf.

He measures stuff with gear or equipment, not with his ears.

I find Scarlett's so so, UAD the worst ever (arrow interface), Adi 2 DAC worse than worst ( line outputs into a headphone amp sounds way better), babyface prob has the best I have ever tested, Audient id44 very decent at least.

The issue for me is stuff in the highs and  mid highs sound thin, no body or weight.

A friend of mine 20 years ago had an maudio interface (lowest tier) and it sounded way better than what has come put in the last 15 years or so.

I even had an Mbox original, that thing sounded good at least.

That's my POV, imho.

2 hours ago, Last Call said:

That Big knob looks amazing, they have several models, I thought you had the passive controller box.

Do you like it a lot? (Headphone output)

What headphones do you have?

I have the Sennheiser HD820, love them.

Last Call,  

I love having the Big Knob connected to my interface, I can connect everything to the Big Knob and from it, I can connect to everything.  I have 3 sets of monitors connected to the BK (Big Knob), a media player, and a head phone amp. 

I have the following:

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm (Open and Closed Back)
Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO 250 Ohm (Open and Closed Back)
KRK KNS 8400 headphones (Closed Back)

Edited by jesse g
  • Like 1

Your model is discontinued, it looks amazing, sad face:

https://www.proacousticsusa.com/mackie-big-knob-studio-command-system.html

Found it on Reverb

https://reverb.com/item/61061682-mackie-big-knob-studio-command-system-church-owned-cg00lka

Now it's like this

https://www.amazon.com/Mackie-BIG-KNOB-STUDIO-Studio/dp/B01N9QNWRY

Or a passive box (no headphones output)

Edited by Last Call

3 hours ago, Last Call said:

Your model is discontinued, it looks amazing, sad face:

They discontinued it a while back, however,  the Mackie Big Knob original will always be the better unit. It has more inputs and outputs

Found it on Reverb

Yea, its a good unit to purchase

Now it's like this

The Mackie Big Knob Series, 4x3 is more like the Big Knob original