Is CPU Intel 12700 (without K) good for Daw ?

Sakini

I am thinking about buy a new computer for music.

I would like the intel  12700 because the TDP is 65W and I  want to have a  minimum of noise.

65W seem to be easier to chill.

So the base frequency is 2.1 Ghz. Is it enough for cakewalk ?

does anybody else use a no K intel CPU ?

Edited by Sakini

It's excellent for DAW. Twelve-core beast. K version is the same thing, but it lets you overclock, if you want, but that means high temperature. Its cooler shouldn't make an audible noise unless you're really close to the case.

You might want a decent PSU and case, as they're the ones that make noise.

HI:)

Bought a 12700k 2 weeks ago and I'm very happy with it. First I got Problems with heat and a loud FAN, but I accidentically put the CPU FAN in a wrong direction on the Cooler😁

Now I have temperature form 42°  to 55 ° C. I dimmed the CPU to MAX 100W and in my largest projects I have a MAX from 10 - 15% CPU Load, when I had with the same Projects 30 - 45 % Load on an 9700k.

If I need more Performance I can raise the speed and the MAX Power, but absolutely not necessary, don't think that my projects are getting bigger.

For sure the 12700 with 65 Watt will be not as "loud" , but it's only 33 dB (I'm listening at 80-85 dB) at my listening position in studio, not really loud. 

I couldn't hear my 9700k, that was great, but I can live with these 33 dB;)

Greetz;)

Bassman.

To clarify, the 12700k does not run extremely hot.

It's easily kept cool/quiet with a quality air-cooler.

You could have a condenser mic just a couple of feet away... and not pickup any fan noise.

If you're after performance (especially low latency performance), clock-speed is still the single most important factor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Jim Roseberry said:

getting noise reined-in is complex

that's been the ongoing challenge here. upgrading has been on the to do list for a while now but the increases in TDP, a relocation to a region with higher ambient temps and video becoming a growth opportunity are making this more than a simple incremental upgrade.

have done well with 4U rack mounts using i7s with active fan control, basic passive cooled GPUs and SSDs.  we could go to a 5U case and larger fans but not sure that's going to be enough. had been avoiding water-cooled systems based previous 'research' but GPU performance is looking like a real challenge, most likely a separate build if the workload becomes real.

1 hour ago, jackson white said:

have done well with 4U rack mounts using i7s with active fan control, basic passive cooled GPUs and SSDs.  we could go to a 5U case and larger fans but not sure that's going to be enough. had been avoiding water-cooled systems based previous 'research' but GPU performance is looking like a real challenge, most likely a separate build if the workload becomes real.

If you're going 12th or 13th generation i9... or the 7950x, forget air-cooling and rackmount cases.

No way it can dissipate enough heat (especially under heavy load).  

Big case and 420mm water-cooler is absolutely necessary.  

I've been tweaking this 7950x prototype build for a couple days (fine-tuning performance vs noise).

I've got it super quiet... but even with the best 420mm water-cooler that exists, idle temps are ~50 degrees C.

Cinebench multi-core tests at 38,909.

Pretty cool to be able to run amp-sim plugins at sub 1ms total round-trip latency.

Probably won't need my portable heater in the studio this winter.  😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Have you considered the i5 12400f? Its a 6C/12T CPU with plenty of power but low TDP. And with an Asus B660 Mainboard you can do BCLK OC'ing. My old PC starts to power off ramdomly, so i'm starting to look for a new System. I'll just keep my GT1030, Noctua U14S and my Old Case. The 12400 seems to be a good candidate.

On 10/6/2022 at 10:05 PM, Jim Roseberry said:

If you're going 12th or 13th generation i9... or the 7950x, forget air-cooling and rackmount cases.

No way it can dissipate enough heat (especially under heavy load).  

Big case and 420mm water-cooler is absolutely necessary.  

I've been tweaking this 7950x prototype build for a couple days (fine-tuning performance vs noise).

I've got it super quiet... but even with the best 420mm water-cooler that exists, idle temps are ~50 degrees C.

Cinebench multi-core tests at 38,909.

Pretty cool to be able to run amp-sim plugins at sub 1ms total round-trip latency.

Probably won't need my portable heater in the studio this winter.  😁

I'm curious about the 7950x. What happens if you just let it run hot with a regular cooler? Does the performance suffer? Which temp is the highest until throttling?

I've been reading some confusing results about this.

17 hours ago, lmu2002 said:

I'm curious about the 7950x. What happens if you just let it run hot with a regular cooler? Does the performance suffer? Which temp is the highest until throttling?

I've been reading some confusing results about this.

When the 7950x is running at 95 degrees Celsius, fan RPMs are maximum (meaning loud).

Even with the best 420mm water-cooler, if you don't under-volt, the 7950x will hit 95 degrees C under substantial load.

There's no way an air-cooler (even a D15 with two 140mm fans) is going to be able to dissipate enough heat (when the 7950x is under substantial load).

When it comes to a DAW, we have the delicate balance of performance AND noise.

It makes no sense to get a high-end "workstation" CPU... and cripple it with inadequate cooling.

• Like 1

If you completely disable PBO, it won't hit 95 degrees C under substantial load.  😉

FWIW, That's kind of neutering the CPU.  Might as well go with the 12700k.

I've currently got a nice under-volt... with 5.2GHz all-core.  Super quiet... and not roasting the CPU

Can run ToneX at 96k using a 16-sample ASIO buffer size (~0.5ms total round-trip latency).

Cinebench R23 multi-core performance is 38,954... (higher than when PBO is set to allow throttling up to 5.75GHz).

Like the 5950x, the 7950x is somewhat of a "tweaker's build".  Finding the sweet-spot performance/noise wise takes a little time.

On 10/7/2022 at 3:52 PM, Jim Roseberry said:

FWIW, The 12700k runs fine with quality air-cooling.

Cool and quiet...

Hey Jim i've got a question: What mainboard chipset do you recommend for a intel K CPU (i'm considering to buy 12600K) Z690, H670 or B660? I'm asking cause many are saying that you don't need a K CPU without Z690, but i want just the better performance compared to non K, without manual overclocking. Or are they running like a non K without the Z690 chipset?