AAS Objeq Delay $10 @ AudioDeluxe

pseudopop

What instruments do you guys tend to use it on? That is, what do you think it excels at? I watched a couple of videos on that were more focused on more EDM sounds. I do rock. Do you think it works well for rock contexts? 

UPDATE: I realize that I got this in the past, but have never used it. Consequently, I'd still be very interested in learning what those who love it find to be its greatest strengths. 

Edited by Peter Woods

46 minutes ago, Bajan Blue said:

wow, thats cheap - one of my Go to delays - as far as I know, there is no other delay that can do what this does

Nigel

Yes i have this one but  its a hungry plugin and from time to time it does cause the odd issue on my system which a reload always sorts  

I got it when it was free, but it's still a nice thing to have at this price. I tried the demo at launch but felt that it wasn't worth the full asking price. It is a bit of a resource hog though, so my old wheezy PC doesn't allow me to use it much.

2 hours ago, Peter Woods said:

That is, what do you think it excels at? I watched a couple of videos on that were more focused on more EDM sounds. I do rock. Do you think it works well for rock contexts? 

I wouldn't limit it to EDM. I think it falls into the "sound design" category, one that you can use to mutate a real instrument into something unreal.

Probably not for straight-up rock. But maybe more for progressive, electronic styles. As a synth guy I always look at these type of things as tools to turn everything into a synthesizer. The initial instrument is just a wave generator. Even a piano! :)

From the AAS manual:

Objeq Delay is a creative effect processor based on the combination of an acoustic filter and a delay unit. The input signal is first processed through acoustic resonators such as drumheads, strings, plates, and bars and a traditional filter module allowing to add acoustic resonances to the sound and change its timbre. The signal is then sent to a versatile stereo delay allowing for the creation of complex rhythmic patterns or echo effects.

Objeq Delay is entirely based on Applied Acoustics Systems (AAS) physical modeling technology and uses no sampling nor convolution algorithms. Sound is processed by solving, on the fly, mathematical equations modeling the different types of resonators and effect components.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

More detail from the AAS manual:

Exciting an object such as the skin of a drum by hitting it with a mallet results in a complex vibrational motion. It is this vibration of the object that will create pressure waves in the surrounding air which will propagate to our ears as sound waves. In Objeq Delay, the input signal is used to excite different kind of acoustic objects. In other words, we listen to the signal through the object or as if it was filtered by its natural resonances.

Edited by abacab

12 minutes ago, abacab said:

I wouldn't limit it to EDM. I think it falls into the "sound design" category, one that you can use to mutate a real instrument into something unreal.

Probably not for straight-up rock. But maybe more for progressive, electronic styles. As a synth guy I always look at these type of things as tools to turn everything into a synthesizer. The initial instrument is just a wave generator. Even a piano! :)

From the AAS manual:

Objeq Delay is a creative effect processor based on the combination of an acoustic filter and a delay unit. The input signal is first processed through acoustic resonators such as drumheads, strings, plates, and bars and a traditional filter module allowing to add acoustic resonances to the sound and change its timbre. The signal is then sent to a versatile stereo delay allowing for the creation of complex rhythmic patterns or echo effects.

Objeq Delay is entirely based on Applied Acoustics Systems (AAS) physical modeling technology and uses no sampling nor convolution algorithms. Sound is processed by solving, on the fly, mathematical equations modeling the different types of resonators and effect components.

Thanks for the insights. Did you catch that after I posted, I went back and updated my post to note that I actually already own this effect? How typical is that of us plugin and sample hoarders, eager to re-purchase the same plugins and libraries that we bought in the past when we see a sale?! Now, I'm actually going to try this plugin before the week is over. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Peter Woods said:

Did you catch that after I posted, I went back and updated my post to note that I actually already own this effect? How typical is that of us plugin and sample hoarders, eager to re-purchase the same plugins and libraries that we bought in the past when we see a sale?

Yes, I caught that. I'm guilty of the same thing at times, LOL! I usually scoop up interesting or dirt cheap plug-ins that I don't have time to check out right away, then forget about them. Now I make it a habit to always check before I buy! :)

And definitely check it out! If you find NI's The Giant- Cinematic snapshots the least bit interesting, try out Objeq Delay on your favorite instrument. You might be surprised at the change in timbre you can introduce with it!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Promidi said:

I have to wonder who would ever pay MSRP for any of these plugins that go on sale a lot.....

Someone who missed out a year and a half ago when another vendor had it as "free with any purchase" (February 2021) and didn't want to wait for the current AudioDeluxe $10 deal?  IIRC there was also an AAS deal with one of those "AMAZING BUNDLE" sites that included stuff like Sessions, a few sound expansion packs, the free AAS Player, and Objeq Delay? 

Footnote: Parameters can be controlled using Voltage Modular's Plugin Host module (including program change, but not bank switching so far as I have seen).

6 hours ago, Promidi said:

I have to wonder who would ever pay MSRP for any of these plugins that go on sale a lot.....

I've wondered this myself, and I do think there are situations where it happens. First, there are just people for whom the $119 difference doesn't mean much in terms of impacting their finances.

Or someone's trying to deliver a big project on a deadline, they decide (maybe are told) that the thing they really need to bring it home is this or that bit of software? And they don't stay "on top" of the deals the way that we do? Dedicated followers of this forum know that chasing audio software deals is far from "free," in that it takes an investment in time and attention.

I had a friend who was working on a project at my place several years ago, and he determined that an effect I sorely lacked in my collection was a good Leslie speaker emulation. This was several years ago, when both the freeware FX scene and my dollar investment in plug-in licenses were much smaller. He was going to buy me one, and I'm sure he wouldn't have agonized over trying to find one on sale. I can't remember how that worked out, I remember that we didn't wind up buying a Leslie emulation.

Someone putting together a "turnkey" DAW system for a client might not pay much attention to shaving dollars off the cost of plug-ins. The kind of people that things like the Plugin Alliance subscription plans and Waves Update and Meldaproduction CompleteFX bundle are made for, maybe? Where the fees for a single project more than cover the cost of a couple of plug-ins.

I get the idea that most of us who follow this forum closely are more toward the "hobby studio" side? Things that I buy to do hobbies are different from things I buy to do my job, although I have enough of a frugal nature that I grub for the best deals possible on everything I buy.

For me, it's a fun game where the object is "get the highest quality/utility tools for the least amount of money." It's a subset of the larger hobby. Not everyone's like that. Some people don't consider spending an hour researching how to get something for $10 instead of $40 to be time well spent. I find it enjoyable, but some people think it's a chore and would rather be doing something else with that hour. Or they're too busy, maybe getting paid for their time.

And then....there are people who just don't know better. We all know that if we want something, where to check to make sure we get the best possible price. Most people aren't as savvy. Once a week or so I check in at the Cakewalk Reddit and answer a few incredibly basic tech questions about Cakewalk for people who somehow weren't aware that there's this whole forum with years of solved problems in it. This despite the fact that in the program's main menu, under Help, there's a direct link to the forum.

Every couple of weeks, someone will post in the Instruments and Effects subforum asking if anyone can suggest a freeware this or that to use with Cakewalk. Of course we already have a thread each for freeware instruments and effects in that subforum, dozens of pages of information.

1 hour ago, Starship Krupa said:

I get the idea that most of us who follow this forum closely are more toward the "hobby studio" side? Things that I buy to do hobbies are different from things I buy to do my job, although I have enough of a frugal nature that I grub for the best deals possible on everything I buy.

I think most studio pros around here moved on when Sonar Platinum Lifetime was shutdown. If their livelihood was based on their DAW, they probably wouldn't want to deal with the uncertain future of Sonar, which really looked dark before BandLab came along.

There were many threads in the old forums during those dark days discussing the best DAW to migrate to. Even Bapu set up a external forum for ex-Cakewalkers in case the forum was going to be completely shut down.

So yes, I think that Cakewalk is mostly used by musicians and hobbyists these days. There may be a few exceptions, but I haven't seen anything around here lately to make me think otherwise. It's possible that the "Deals" forum is unique, in that it's not exclusively for Cakewalk users, so I am including the forums "upstairs" as well in my observation. :)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Peter Woods said:

What instruments do you guys tend to use it on? That is, what do you think it excels at? I watched a couple of videos on that were more focused on more EDM sounds. I do rock. Do you think it works well for rock contexts? 

I found that it is great for creating percussion parts.  Take a simple hi hat loop and run it through one of the more rhythmic patches in Objeq Delay and you will see what I mean.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1