Cherry Audio Malleable Instruments Bundle

Vernon Barnes

For Voltage Modular - $29.99 (normally $76)

https://store.cherryaudio.com/bundles/malleable-instruments-bundle

There are a lot of bundles for VM and there is always something on sale but I recommend this one.

This contains two particularly useful modules.  Razors is a dual multimode filter with wavefolding and a raft of modulation options which can create some very rich, evolving sounds from even a single oscillator input.  Shelves is on the face of it a simple parametric EQ but the frequency, gain and Q can be modulated opening a wide range of possibilities. I have had some great fun with these two and have saved a few great sounding patches for future use.

I have yet to experiment at length with the other modules in the bundle but there are some interesting options. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Boughs is a dual Bernoulli gates [sic] based on Mutable Instruments' Branches.

Joints is routing/utility module based on Mutable Instruments' Links.

Ledges is a 4-band parametric EQ module, typically found in console channel strips, based on Mutable Instruments' Shelves.

Quirks is an utility module that provides 3 signal processing operations based on Mutable Instruments' Kinks.

Razors is a dual multimode filter . . . with CV-controlled, continuously variable filter response, filter routing, and an overdrive/wavefolding stage for each filter.

Shutters is a 4-channel voltage-controlled signal polarizer based on Mutable Instruments' Blinds.

Hey, I know what an EQ is!

• Haha 1

There seem to be quite a few bundles currently on sale on Cherry Audio's store. For example:

https://store.cherryaudio.com/bundles/andrew-macaulays-ultimate-bundle

https://store.cherryaudio.com/bundles/noisy-bunch-bundle

https://store.cherryaudio.com/bundles/vult-fury-bundle

https://store.cherryaudio.com/bundles/hetrickcv-volume-2

just to pick a few interesting looking ones.

In your opinion, is it worthwhile to invest money in the Voltage Modular ecosystem when we have VCV, Cardinal and other modular systems available? I'm sure "better" is always relative, but those of you who have played with other systems and decided to put your money on VM, what was the deciding factor?

2 hours ago, pseudopop said:

. . . those of you who have played with other systems and decided to put your money on VM, what was the deciding factor?

As I was starting to get into virtual modulars, one prominent maker switched the graphical code to something that was unsupported by my computer.  A number of years later, I stumbled onto Voltage Modular. It worked on my PC quite well and after a day of playing with the free version (Nucleus) and finding it so intuitive based on my early Moog experiences, I upped my investment with VM Core + Electro Drums.  

I have since gotten other virtual modulars. Since I now have experience with the VM workflow as well as a number of modules, I feel more comfortable with using it.

While I haven't interacted with the module makers for other systems, I have with several makers of VM modules. I appreciate their responsiveness.

I have no idea if I would have developed "brand loyalty" to the other company if they hadn't changed their graphics system, but I am now glad they did. VM continues to work well for me. 

Edited by User 905133
fixed typos
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, pseudopop said:

In your opinion, is it worthwhile to invest money in the Voltage Modular ecosystem when we have VCV, Cardinal and other modular systems available? I'm sure "better" is always relative, but those of you who have played with other systems and decided to put your money on VM, what was the deciding factor?

I tried VCV and then the Softube Modular. Both are excellent sounding.

Then I installed Voltage Modular Nucleus (free). https://store.cherryaudio.com/bundles/voltage-modular-nucleus

"This collection of 22 modules and over 130 presets is the ideal novice's introduction to modular synthesis. This package includes all of the fundamentals of subtractive analog synthesis, including oscillators, filters, envelope generators, amplifiers, and mixers, plus a sequencer, arpeggiator, and a full suite of useful utility modules and powerful effects modules.

With Voltage Modular Nucleus, you can discover the thrill of patching modules together in new and endlessly creative ways, and explore all of the capabilities of Voltage Modular, absolutely free."

I decided that the Cherry Audio developers have made a good  effort to maximize the ease of use of a modular system, especially for modular newbies. It is very intuitive, and fun to explore.

It sounds great and comes with many presets to learn from. With many inexpensive bundles available, it also seemed to avoid that very expensive rabbit hole of acquisition if modular addiction took hold. :)

I upgraded to VM Core + Electro drums when it went on sale. I've now got all the modular I can absorb for the time being! Just pick what works for you. An oscillator is just an oscillator, it's what you do with it that really counts! 🤣

Edited by abacab
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, pseudopop said:

...but those of you who have played with other systems and decided to put your money on VM, what was the deciding factor?

If you're looking for a cost conscious opinion you probably should ignore mine since I "put my money", as you say, on any modular or semi-modular plugin/bundle that I can use. I love the modular approach to synthesis, specially the virtual modular systems were you can save your work and resume it at any time.

Having said that and regarding the Cherry Audio VM I like the way they implement polyphony in the system, the fact that they have a way to incorporate and control 3rd party plugins, the possibility to develop new modules with the Development Kit (if you are interested in it), the big catalog of modules and, at this point, the proven  quality of their software.

For instance, regarding audio quality and emulation authenticity my favorite system is the Softube Modular. But I don't like their GUI as they created an almost one-to-one equivalence to a real hardware modular and IMO this makes the patching unnecessarily complicated for a computer program. In this regard the best virtual modular I used were the Nord Modular G2 or the Modular IV from Creamware (both hardware DSP based).  In those systems you can create a patch and if you want to play it polyphonically you just need to increase the number of voices in an option box.

Other systems I like are the AAS  Multiphonics CV-1, the NI Reaktor and  programs like Arturia Modular V and Synthi V,  Xils 4 and u-He Ace, Bazille and Zebra , each with their particular sound and Interface (but some of these are closed systems in the sense that you cannot get /buy new modules for them).

In my shopping list I have the TAL-MOD and some other programs that are, unfortunately, Mac only at this time.

Edited by Sergio
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sergio said:

Having said that and regarding the Cherry Audio VM I like the way they implement polyphony in the system, the fact that they have a way to incorporate and control 3rd party plugins

You made a good point about the polyphony. Many of the VM modules come in monophonic or polyphonic variants, so you have both bases covered, as needed without unnecessary patching.

And with the Plug-in Host and Mini Plug-in Host modules, you can drop in many of your favorite 3rd party instrument (VSTi) and FX plugins into the rack so that they can become part of your signal flow.

I believe that Cherry used the design philosophy that if it made sense to do something slightly different in software than real hardware, go for it within reason. At least that is the approach they take with their standalone synth emulations.

Edited by abacab

15 minutes ago, Sergio said:

Other systems I like are the AAS  Multiphonics CV-1, the NI Reaktor and  programs like Arturia Modular V and Synthi V,  Xils 4 and u-He Ace, Bazille and Zebra , each with their particular sound and Interface (but some of these are closed systems in the sense that you cannot get /buy new modules for them).

For a non-rack virtual semi-modular synth, I would recommend taking a look at Kilohearts Phase Plant. Combine as many generators, modulators and effects as you need to create your own unique sounds. Your new patch view is basically a blank slate, much like an empty rack is. No patch cords though, and it's very intuitive and inspiring to work with once you grasp the basics.

You have to choose from the supplied modules, as there are no 3rd party add-ons. The modular architecture is designed that way as a closed system where you can create limitless combinations.

Choose from regular waveforms, wavetables, samples, and noise for your source sounds. Make use of an extensive selection of factory wavetables or design your own with Phase Plant’s advanced Wavetable Editor. Start with solid foundations to create original layers and combinations of sounds within one synth.

8 minutes ago, abacab said:

For a non-rack virtual semi-modular synth, I would recommend taking a look at Kilohearts Phase Plant. Combine as many generators, modulators and effects as you need to create your own unique sounds. Your new patch view is basically a blank slate, much like an empty rack is. No patch cords though, and it's very intuitive and inspiring to work with once you grasp the basics.

Phase Plant seems a nice system. I'm waiting for a good price though.

And I forgot to mention Tracktion's Hyperion in my last post, with a Reaktor-esque interface and well worth a look.

47 minutes ago, Sergio said:

Phase Plant seems a nice system. I'm waiting for a good price though.

Phase Plant has been on sale since the v2 release a couple of times for $99. And that now includes all of the essential plugins, so no need to buy a bundle.

They still have a few "premium" plugins for sale, as well as the sound expansions.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pseudopop said:

VCV was still in its non VSTi infancy when I adopted Voltage Modular.

I originally used Softube's modular a lot, but now VM has become my goto. I like the range of third-party modules and the polyphonic options. There are some decent effects modules too enabling it to be used as a FX chain if you so desire.  Its a shame one can't use modules across platforms. The VM content from MRB is excellent and the MRB/Cherry VM900 collection is pretty much my favourite for its classic Moog Modular style modules.   I am missing a decent, powerful wave table oscillator (with polyphonic version), there is a wave table osc. from one of the third-party developers but it's a bit meh (IMHO).

I also have AAS's Multiphonics in a bundle of their other instruments. It's not bad, but it's limited to its built in range of modules.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Vernon Barnes said:

I am missing a decent, powerful wave table oscillator (with polyphonic version), there is a wave table osc. from one of the third-party developers but it's a bit meh (IMHO).

Using the VM Mini Plug-in Host I am able to load the free Vital VST3 wavetable synth into my VM session. It's a very capable wavetable sound source!

You can init the Vital preset to just get a raw wavetable oscillator sound source at the Plug-in Host outputs, for patching up with VM modules for further sound shaping.

This shuts off the other internal Vital sound processing, except for the ENV1 for (D)A(H)DSR. Or use any of the other internal Vital filters, envelopes, modulations, etc., if desired before outputting audio to other VM modules.

VM - Vital.PNG

VM - Vital Wavetable Editor.PNG

Edited by abacab
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/19/2022 at 9:48 PM, abacab said:

Using the VM Mini Plug-in Host I am able to load the free Vital VST3 wavetable synth into my VM session. It's a very capable wavetable sound source!

You can init the Vital preset to just get a raw wavetable oscillator sound source at the Plug-in Host outputs, for patching up with VM modules for further sound shaping.

This shuts off the other internal Vital sound processing, except for the ENV1 for (D)A(H)DSR. Or use any of the other internal Vital filters, envelopes, modulations, etc., if desired before outputting audio to other VM modules.

VM - Vital.PNG

VM - Vital Wavetable Editor.PNG

Thanks

54 minutes ago, Vernon Barnes said:

Thanks

The real thanks goes to @User 905133for giving me the heads-up on the VM Plug-in Host feature!

This turns VM into an almost self-contained host. I have also been able to load complete external FX chains via plugins like IK MixBox, Kilohearts Snap Heap, IK AmpliTube 5, and NI Guitar Rig 6. :)

FYI: Some plugins don't always display correctly when first inserted, but I have found that by clicking the "View Editor" button on the module twice, usually closes/re-opens the plugin and then it renders correctly in the UI.

Edited by abacab
  • Thanks 1