One of those "I'm sorry Dave" moment...

Rain

Was temporarily put in Facebook jail a few days ago because I posted a cover version of Ozzy’s Suicide Solution on my page. Apparently, unless the word Sui**de is immediately followed by prevention, it raises a huge red flag and you get banned for a while. The irony is that I had posted that same cover a few times while I was working on a few years ago and there never was any issue.

That was actually my second such experience. 

A couple of years ago, I used an image I found on Google to illustrate a private post. Some time later, someone published something on FB using that same image but their post contained misinformation - and it went viral. As a result, my own post was censored. Based on the image only. 

Of course, Facebook is Facebook. But seeing how AI and automation are creeping everywhere, even for the least paranoid among us, it’s fairly easy to imagine consequences much worse than just a blocked post or restricted access to a social media platform. 

I know I’ll be very cautious the next time I think of posting my cover of The Cure KiSSing an Arab (so far I’ve been lucky with that one, but, who knows…)

(See, I’m even proactively censoring myself AND the Cure.)

Incidentally, I can see all sorts of way how even this very discussion is likely to go sideways. I apologize in advance if it does. Just felt like sharing with a bunch of musician friends.

Edited by Rain

10 hours ago, bdickens said:

I had my own run-in with YouTube a while back.

I'll Save myself the typing:

Wow! That is BAD.

As if they really care, too. It's the hypocrisy that kills me. 

A few years ago I was studying Judaism and watching lectures by a Rabbi, and YouTube was constantly pushing the most anti-Semitic videos you can imagine in my suggested videos list - I am talking tin foil hat conspiracy thories and raving mad propaganda which had no other possible purpose than to incite hatred. And I would report them. And they kept pushing them back under "you might also like" or whatever they call it...

Which reminds me...

A few years ago, I was reading The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich and I made the mistake of taking my copy to work to read during my breaks. My supervisor soon called me into her office - apparently, people had complained. I wasn't sure what troubled me the most.

The irony - that I had to hide an unquestionably ANTI-***** book because some people jumped to the wrong conclusion. I mean, the author of the book was censored by the *****, and ***** would have had it burned - is that really the side you want to be on?

There was  the fact that by hiding it, I was actually somehow confirming those people’s impression that this was some kind of pro-***** book.

There’s the fact that anti-Semitism is one of the things which I have absolutely zero tolerance for. It's instinctual. Like violence against women and children - I cannot bear the thought...

There’s the fact that none of those people who actually jumped to conclusions and believed that this was a bad book had the guts to walk up to me and say that they would not tolerate ***** propaganda. Is that all they are ready to do against fascism? Anonymous complaints? Granted the cover can be misleading - but if I saw something like that on a desk at work and thought it was an actual ***** book, you can be sure I would walk right up to that person and verify...

There is the fact that this is a classic history book, first published in the 60’s, which has sold more copies for the Book-of-the-Month Club than any other book in the club's history, millions of copies - a book that is more relevant than ever - but which should be hidden according to those clueless ignorants.

Then there’s the simple fact that they jumped to conclusion and that nothing was, is being, or will be done to set the record straight by my supervisor…

81J42OSRC7L.thumb.jpg.1db4e1273cfc4e2d0f8562839a7ed13b.jpg

Edited by Rain
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Rain said:

A few years ago, I was reading The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich and I made the mistake of taking my copy to work to read during my breaks. My supervisor soon called me into her office - apparently, people had complained....

2 hours ago, Rain said:

Then there’s the simple fact that they jumped to conclusion and that nothing was, is being, or will be done to set the record straight by my supervisor…

You have to wonder if those morons were born that stupid or if they had to practice.

Funny you should mention The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. I had that very book on my bookshelf in the barracks at Fort Bragg. My Platoon Sergeant and Platoon Leader had a cow when they saw it and told me to get rid of it. With the utmost in courtesy and while maintaining my military bearing and discipline, I told them to go piss up a rope. I of course didn't use those exact words but my meaning was clear.

First, I showed them where the price tag was still on it from where I had bought it at the Stars and Stripes bookstore on post when I was in Germany.

I  then mentioned some of the things about my own ancestry and asked them if they had ever been to Dachau. I said that I had. And that it was very eerie. And all the more eerie when you're looking around and wondering if maybe some of your distant relatives had been murdered there.

I asked those two idiots how come they had never heard of this book before because it's only the definitive history of the Third Reich.

I looked that stupid lieutenant dead in the eye and said point blank "didn't you go to West Point sir? You didn't have to read this book there? With all due respect sir, what exactly did they teach you there?"

Then I quoted George Santayana to them. "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. You know where I saw that? On the wall at Dachau."

Mad as they got, they couldn't do anything to me and I kept my book.

Edited by bdickens
  • Like 3

I can tell these things incite a lot of emotion in people. Much of it heated, and mostly for good reason. 

I will often read the "other side" of a view to become more educated on it, sometimes it changes my mind. Most of the time it only re enforces my stance on any given thing. I have read enough history on WW2 to know what happened.

When it comes to social media, once upon a time it was all the talk about what was happening. Now the frog is partially boiled, and that has mostly died down because it is no longer what was happening, but what has happened. Now they can boil the frog a little more until eventually we will be where we will be.

I hope for everyone here's sake that everyone is informed, but I suspect not everyone is.

I once thought that watching a Flat Earth video would be amusing. It wasn't. It just left me fretting over the future of human existence. After all, we like to say that our species' survival advantage is our intelligence.

But YouTube reckoned I was searching for some kind of Truth, and not only recommended literally hundreds of like videos but also many other surprising topics whose only similarity was that you'd have to be a moron to take any of them seriously. AI is going to be our downfall, I think.

Recently I decided to listen to some bands that are widely ridiculed for being awful, to see if I'd feel the same way. Do you have any idea how many Nickelback videos are out there?

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

Recently I decided to listen to some bands that are widely ridiculed for being awful, to see if I'd feel the same way. Do you have any idea how many Nickelback videos are out there?

I'm wouldn't call myself a fan, but I've never really understood why they always tend to get such a rough ride when there is so much more out there that is so much worse.

3 hours ago, Tim Smith said:

I can tell these things incite a lot of emotion in people. Much of it heated, and mostly for good reason. 

I will often read the "other side" of a view to become more educated on it, sometimes it changes my mind. Most of the time it only re enforces my stance on any given thing. I have read enough history on WW2 to know what happened.

When it comes to social media, once upon a time it was all the talk about what was happening. Now the frog is partially boiled, and that has mostly died down because it is no longer what was happening, but what has happened. Now they can boil the frog a little more until eventually we will be where we will be.

I hope for everyone here's sake that everyone is informed, but I suspect not everyone is.

Are there legal copies of Mine Kahmp around these days?   I mispelled it intentionally.  I've become a history buff.  Sometimes those things reveal patterns to be careful of.  If one is to say they are fascinated with something people assume it's approved instead of being astounded that something like that happened.

Look how we have to word something instead of being direct.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bitflipper said:

But YouTube reckoned I was searching for some kind of Truth, and not only recommended literally hundreds of like videos but also many other surprising topics whose only similarity was that you'd have to be a moron to take any of them seriously.

The problem is we live in a world of morons.

1 hour ago, Wibbles said:

The problem is we live in a world of morons.

No need to be mean Nigel!  Most people have simply been brainwashed by a very bad propaganda agenda for decades (though it has seriously ramped up lately).

Towards the end of my PhD work I took stage hypnosis as an elective and, for my final, I had another PhD candidate running around the stage on his hands and knees using his shoe to pound imaginary nails that kept popping up back into the floor.  He was dead certain he hadn't done any such thing afterwards... until we showed him the video.

The takeaway was that it takes at least six or seven times the effort to get someone to realize that they've been programmed.

Needless to say, the vast majority of people have neither the time nor the background to research what's going on so they take what they're told at face value.  A lot of this goes back to the 20's when a guy named Edward Bernays (the so-called Father of Propaganda) began using suggestion techniques he learned from his uncle (Sigmund Freud) to convince people of a lot of bad things like breakfast being the most important meal of the day (which sold a LOT of sugary crap!) and that smoking for women was both sexy and healthy.  Pay off a couple of doctors or actors posing as doctors and *boom!* the masses went along with it hook, line and sinker!

I started researching things back in 2009 after I had just about everything illegally stolen from me because I wanted to know how that happened.  I've since spent HUNDREDS of hours researching and reading dozens of really boring studies.  I definitely don't expect others to put in even a fraction of the time I've spent (and many of the places to find the information have now been censored!).  You certainly won't find all of what's REALLY going on using the primary sources like Google, Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, etc.  They are heavily censored to only follow the given narrative.  Using the Brave browser and places like Epoch TV is a good start.

Actually, if you want to have an idea of what's going on, just watch any of the mainstream media platforms like CNN, MSNBC, ABC, NBC, CBS, BBS, even Fox then take the opposite!  I've seen videos that show about 30 different stations where the same story is told using the same words and even with the same cadence and inflections.  Pretty obvious that they were all told to use the same script.  Journalism is dead.  There's a reason why what you see on TV is called "Programming."

One way to tell just how much a person has been brainwashed is to see how fast they counter with a pre-supplied reply to any "hot topic" (like calling anyone with a counter-opinion a "Conspiracy Theorist" or spreading misinformation).  Big Brother is wired in far more than Orwell could have ever imagined!

The thing that really makes me shake my head is that those who are attempting to run the world don't even hide what they're doing (I've got a LOT of proof that's WAY beyond the scope of this overly moderated forum).

Most importantly, I'm seeing what's going on as the last gasp, all out attempts before things will turn much better.  Unfortunately, this also means that things will probably get worse before that happens.