Cakewalk crashing on startup.

bertus weyers

Good day all,

I need some advice. 

For the last few months I've been having problems with CbB and I have no idea how to resolve.

As soon as I open a library or vst in cakewalk it crashes. I have even gone so far as to move all my libraries and vst's to an external hdd (to clear up space) but the same problem persists. I must also mention that it's not only a CbB problem, but also with Reaper and FL studio. I had some issues in the past with the latter 2 but now it's the same with CbB. I have re-installed it a few times but problem still persists.

I have a very old laptop/processor that dates back to 2016 but I never had a problem like this. (Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU  N3050  @ 1.60GHz   1.60 GHz, 8GB Ram) Maybe there are some settings I should check/ change? Unfortunately I cannot change the processor as it's integrated.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

This sounds like a broken system library or (although less likely) a hardware issue that's being exposed when something is stressing your system, like loading a DAW.

The specs on your system are pretty borderline for running a DAW, honestly, so you might just be on the edge of things freaking out if something isn't playing 100% nice (I had a system not too far different to that for ages and it was always a big juggling act to see what I could get away with, especially for larger projects).

What OS are you running? If it's not Windows 10 or later, there's a very good chance it's a system redistributable thing. 

Try Noel's suggestions here first: 

If that doesn't work, capturing a crash dump might be useful for support to have a look at:

Edited by Lord Tim
  • Like 1

Since Reaper and FL Studio are also crashing, it's probably a bigger problem than just Cakewalk. Maybe plugins related, but that can easily be ruled out.

Is it always the same plugin causing the crash, or any of them? Does a new project load fine, but only crash when you add a plugin?

If it was just an existing Cakewalk project crashing I would suggest starting your .cwp project in safe mode (hold shift key while loading the project). Then you will get prompted (y/n) for each plugin to load or not. This is a troubleshooting step and it discards any plugins that you decline, so either do not save it or save it as a new name.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1