Moving VST's for existing projects

I have all my VST's for Cakewalk loaded on a single SSD drive.  This drive is behaving erratically and I need to move all of my VST's to a different drive.

Is there a bulk way to update all my projects so I do not have to reset each product to point to the new VST location?

Your projects don't actually store the location of the VST's, just the ID of the VST being used. 

So moving the VST's, making sure you've got the new path in Cakewalk's VST preferences, and doing a plugin re-scan is all you should need to do.

However, if you had to run an installer to install a VST, then those VST's might not work properly (or at the very least, the uninstall might not work).

In this case, probably the easiest way is to create a symbolic link to point the directory on the existing drive to the location on the new drive.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/mklink

In saying that, if the drive is behaving erratically maybe its time to just replace the drive with a new one and give it the same drive letter?

Usually the largest consumer of disk space related to a DAW (not including the projects created by the DAW) are audio samples use by plug-ins and audio loops. The actual plug-ins do not take up must space. It may be better to leave the plug-in where they are and look for what is really taking up most of the disk. Some plug-ins provide an easy way to point to sample folders. For those that do not directory junctions are a good solution. Directory junctions also work well for the plug-ins that have path preferences in their UI too.

I would but the drive is not only  getting flakey is becoming too small for my new library and vst needs.  There are other things on it that must remain in place n this drive letter so I will need the room to fix the bad blocks on the drive for this other stuff.   My only option is to move the VST's and their samples to another new larger drive volume

Edited by billwright2

I would take a disk image immediately, as you may be risking total loss of all data on that drive. SSDs usually fail suddenly, not like spinning drives that typically fail gradually.

Then get a new (maybe larger) SSD and restore the image to that. If you want you could always use the old flakey SSD as a secondary drive for storage, if you can get the issues ironed out.

• Like 2