2 mono tracks to a stereo one question

Silvio Gazquez

Question

Hey there,

I was wondering if there’s an easier way to convert 2 mono tracks into a stereo one.

My current process is hard panning each track and then bouncing them into a new stereo one.

In Pro Tools I’ve seen that you just drag a mono track to the other and done, it’s a stereo track.

So if someone knows if there’s a similar easy way to do that would be great to know it.

Thanks,

3 answers to this question

That's how I'd do it, but if you don't want to create a new bounce, the other option is to do something like this:

Make a new audio track, ensure it's track interleave is set to stereo. Then press the Take Lanes button, and add a lane so there's 2 lanes in the track.

On your mono tracks, set your Edit Filter to Clip Automation > Pan

Drag one of the mono track's Pan envelopes all the way to the top to set it 100% L, and do the opposite on the other track so it's 100% R.

Then set both of those tracks back to Clips in the Edit filter.

Then drag both of those clips into each of the Take Lanes you made in the stereo track you added.

Now, are you saving any time doing this at all, compared to a track bounce? Nope! But if you don't want to make any new audio bounces, this gets you there.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2022 at 12:47 PM, Lord Tim said:

That's how I'd do it, but if you don't want to create a new bounce, the other option is to do something like this:

Make a new audio track, ensure it's track interleave is set to stereo. Then press the Take Lanes button, and add a lane so there's 2 lanes in the track.

On your mono tracks, set your Edit Filter to Clip Automation > Pan

Drag one of the mono track's Pan envelopes all the way to the top to set it 100% L, and do the opposite on the other track so it's 100% R.

Then set both of those tracks back to Clips in the Edit filter.

Then drag both of those clips into each of the Take Lanes you made in the stereo track you added.

Now, are you saving any time doing this at all, compared to a track bounce? Nope! But if you don't want to make any new audio bounces, this gets you there.

Thanks man, yeah i will just keep what i was doing then haha..

I believe this was possible in X1 LE and X1 Producer. It got removed when x2 dropped at our doors. I think theres still a video on Youtube about this. 

It was called "Split track" or so . . . It was mainly to create a drum matrix as one clip, but you could create a stereo track too. I think the lane section took its place.

Let me dig a little. Maybe the feature has been tucked away and forgotten about. 

EDIT: I remember now . . . There was a merge feature for both the track and clips. 

Edited by Will.