Convert audio to midi

Bassfaceus

Hi all...ive read the tutorials

and i get that with melodyne installed i can convert audio to midi

but my needs are much simpler than that.

i have a kik drum track that was generated by hand with a kik sample  (which took ages ) to match a wonky bass line

now i want to try some different kik sounds

easiest way is to convert my kik track to midi

All i need is start times and i can get session drummer to respond.

How do do this simply?

Thanks

Use AudioSnap, Copy as MIDI:

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=AudioSnap.05.html

Basically, detect your transients on a track, making sure that there's no rogue notes. Then click the Copy as MIDI icon.

In your MIDI track that's routed to Session Drummer, set your Now Time to the start of the project and do Paste. You should have the MIDI paste into that track, in time with the transients you detected, and (if I recall correctly) will be MIDI note 36 by default, which should correspond to a kick drum.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, David Baay said:

You have to download it using Bandlab Assistant.

The drum replacer is also available from the Cakewalk Installer.

Except for access to BandLab and CbB remote authentication, there is no need to mess with Bandlab Assistant.

7 hours ago, Bassfaceus said:

i have a kik drum track that was generated by hand with a kik sample  (which took ages ) to match a wonky bass line

If the bass is MIDI, try copying the bass line and pasting it into the drum track. That would have lined it all up. I think.
Shoot, if it's audio, drag it to the timeline to generate MIDI, then copy/paste that into the drum track.
I know this isn't answering your question, I just thought it would be easier than entering MIDI notes or audio samples by hand.

31 minutes ago, 57Gregy said:

Shoot, if it's audio, drag it to the timeline to generate MIDI, then copy/paste that into the drum track.

Dragging audio to the timeline does not create MIDI note data, it creates a tempo map.

Dragging audio to a MIDI or instrument track creates MIDI note data.

Both of these processes rely on Melodyne.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, scook said:

I dragged a MIDI Drum Loop (wav file) into a midi track.  This is what CbB did as I expected it to do since I do not have Melodyne except that which is built into CbBEDIT: See scook's clarification below. I must have a version on my current PC.  

image.thumb.png.2c6f02b92e561c10f677bb02f6c111e2.png

In case its not clear, I am not disagreeing.  I am just showing that it works.  

Edited by User 905133
updated post

54 minutes ago, scook said:

Dragging audio to the timeline does not create MIDI note data, it creates a tempo map.

Both of these processes rely on Melodyne.

Thanks for the clarification. All this magic is new to me. 
I remember discussions in the Music Creator forum 10 years ago wondering if audio-to-MIDI conversion was possible. Almost everyone said "no". 
Ain't technology wonderful?

Re reading the OP I see a few options depending on the state of the original project and depending on Melodyne being available .  

So I’ll assume you have put down a bass audio track and also assume it was not played to the clock? 

Also it would help to know if your version of Cakewalk has Melodyne still available. They just changed this with Melodyne 5 so the demo ends. 
If you do have Melodyne and no set tempo you can drag the wonky bass track to the timeline and it will create a tempo map that follows the bass.  Audio snap is the old method.  
Now you have a tempo and you can create the kick track with midi and quantize it.  I’ve done this lots. 

1 hour ago, 57Gregy said:

I remember discussions in the Music Creator forum 10 years ago wondering if audio-to-MIDI conversion was possible. Almost everyone said "no". 
Ain't technology wonderful?

Polyphonic audio-to-MIDI is still a work in progress, even for Melodyne, and poly-instrumental polyphonic conversion (i.e. multitrack MIDI from a full mix) is still pretty much a 'no'.

2 hours ago, User 905133 said:

I dragged a MIDI Drum Loop (wav file) into a midi track.  This is what CbB did as I expected it to do since I do not have Melodyne except that which is built into CbB.    

image.thumb.png.2c6f02b92e561c10f677bb02f6c111e2.png

In case its not clear, I am not disagreeing.  I am just showing that it works.  

The only way CbB produces MIDI from audio using drag and drop relies on a Melodyne VST3 plug-in.

The plug-in must be in the VST scan path and should show up in the "Sort by" plug-in lists shipped with CbB.

There must be a licensed copy of Melodyne installed, a functional trial of Melodyne 5 bundled with a recent version of CbB or a timed-out trial of Melodyne 4 bundled with older versions of CbB. Prior to Melodyne 5, the trial version of Melodyne 4 shipped with CbB continues to perform monophonic audio-to-MIDI and tempo detection after the trial period.

The other methods of audio-to-MIDI creation in CbB, audiosnap and drum replacer, do not use Melodyne.

1 hour ago, scook said:

The only way CbB produces MIDI from audio using drag and drop relies on a Melodyne VST3 plug-in.

The plug-in must be in the VST scan path and should show up in the "Sort by" plug-in lists shipped with CbB.

Thanks for the clarification.  Although I didn't install Melodyne on my current audio PC, it might be in a folder from a back up drive in my vst scan path.  YUP!  I have v.2.1.2.2 in my one of my scan path folders.

Edited by User 905133
To say I found it.