SSL LMC+ $19.99 @ Plugin Boutique

MusicMan

SSL LMC+ $19.99 @ Plugin Boutique

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/2-Effects/8-Compressor/8677-SSL-LMC-

The SSL LMC+ replicates the sound of an SSL 4000E console's reverse talkback function, a.k.a. the Listen Mic, which included an integrated compressor to safeguard against overloads and make quiet speech intelligible. It was the Listen Mic Compressor, combined with the SSL 4000E's built-in noise gate, that was the genesis to the gated-reverb drum sound that dominated the '80s.

The LMC+ plug-in eclipses the original hardware, providing you with advanced functionality that wasn't present in the original console, such as external sidechain capabilities, highpass filters and lowpass filters, and Scoop and Split functions. And thanks to its intuitive controls, the LMC+ is a breeze to use. If you want to smash everything back to the 1980s, the LMC+ is the plug-in to do it with.

The LMC+ plug-in takes the vaunted SSL Listen Mic Compressor from the center section of an SSL 4000E console and enhances it with modern features derived from SSL's LMC+ 500 Series module. An external sidechain enables you to trigger gain reduction with an external source or signal, while variable highpass and lowpass filters allow you to tailor which frequencies trigger the compression. You also get Scoop and Split functions. Scoop phase-inverts your wet signal, while Split engages a bandpass-subtraction mode.

There is also a Mix control, which makes parallel processing a piece of cake. If you enjoy slamming audio into oblivion, you'll find a zillion uses for the LMC+.

Features

• Replicates the sound of an SSL 4000E console's Listen Mic Compressor 
  • Fixed attack and release curves are tailor-made for ambient drums 
  • External sidechain triggers gain reduction with an external source or signal 
  • Variable highpass and lowpass filters tailor which frequencies trigger the compression 
  • Scoop button phase-inverts wet signal 
  • Split button activates bandpass-subtraction mode 
  • Mix control makes parallel processing a piece of cake

System Requirements

Mac

• macOS 10.12 Sierra - macOS 11 Big Sur (M1 Mac not yet supported) (64-bit only)
  • Intel Dual-Core Mac running at 2.4GHz or higher
  • 4 GB of RAM minimum (8 GB of RAM recommended)
  • AU, VST2, VST3, AAX Native
  • Important Note: SSL products are compatible with M1 Apple Silicon Macs via the use of Rosetta.

Windows

• Windows 7 - Windows 10 (Windows 11 not yet supported) (64-bit only)
  • Intel Core 2 (or comparable) CPU running at 2.4GHz or higher
  • 4 GB of RAM minimum (8 GB of RAM recommended)
  • VST 2, VST3, AAX Native

Please Note: A FREE iLok Account is required for the authorisation of this software.

Edited by MusicMan
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

I think anyone with KOMPLETE has an SSL already?

This isn't a standard SSL compressor like that it's based off using/abusing the listen mic off the old consoles and using that as a compressor. It's most frequently used for drums, generally smashing them in parallel and blending that in.

As for NI, for my tastes, it's one of the SSL compressors that doesn't grab me at all soundwise compared to SSL themselves, or a number of the other emulations out there.

Probably not bad if people already have it, but I think the others are better personally.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, satyabrata satapathy said:

Would u grab even if u have the Brainworkx one

If you're thinking about Townhouse by BX, then they are quite different. That's more of a grungier / coloured SSL than an LMC. You can definitely use things like Townhouse for parallel compression though and just use very aggressive settings on it so it's really clamping down hard on the audio and blend that in too.

For me I haven't bought this one (yet!), but that's because I use SoundToys Devil-Loc for heavier parallel compression. This is probably closer to LMC than Townhouse (or any of the SSL strips from BX).

You can use the LMC as a regular compressor too of course, but that's not it's main niche.

Edited by MusicMan