Does Cakewalk support CLAP?

satya

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

So far only BitWig and REAPER support CLAP plugins.

For many people that means "my DAW support it" . Once JUCE can officially produce CLAP plug-ins, that will be sufficient to start "global change".

AAX is supported just in one DAW... Audio Unit just on one platform. Yet that was never a reason to say "these are not interesting plug-in formats".

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

The development of a new feature should solve some problem for a large number of users, or bring new value to them.
Given that:
1. There are practically no applications on the market
2. They are co-developed with Bitwig
3. 99% of any applications can be found in VST 2 and VST3 - there is no special need for it
At least for myself, I don’t see the point in CLAP.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Asato Maa said:

The development of a new feature should solve some problem for a large number of users, or bring new value to them.
Given that:
3. 99% of any applications can be found in VST 2 and VST3 - there is no special need for it

Same here.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Asato Maa said:

Given that:

1. Yup. But that means Cakewalk can be in the short list of pioneers. It was with ARA, even so there was practically one plug-in for it.

2. So what? Is Bitwig evil? The standard is open and not owned by any company (unlike all currently "common" formats).

3. you know that new developers are not allowed to write VST2. And VST3 has many problems (along with the fact the owner can declare it "obsolete" any time, and unlike with VST2 even currently developers will have to abandon it in flavor of whatever creature Steinberg declare as "the new one"). Right?

For long time no-one could see "the point" in e-cars. And then.... ups...

Also Cakewalk's DX driven MIDI engine has to be replaces. VST2 is obsolete. VST3 doesn't really support MIDI. So, why not target CLAP there?

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

8 hours ago, azslow3 said:

1. Yup. But that means Cakewalk can be in the short list of pioneers. It was with ARA, even so there was practically one plug-in for it.

2. So what? Is Bitwig evil? The standard is open and not owned by any company (unlike all currently "common" formats).

3. you know that new developers are not allowed to write VST2. And VST3 has many problems (along with the fact the owner can declare it "obsolete" any time, and unlike with VST2 even currently developers will have to abandon it in flavor of whatever creature Steinberg declare as "the new one"). Right?

For long time no-one could see "the point" in e-cars. And then.... ups...

Also Cakewalk's DX driven MIDI engine has to be replaces. VST2 is obsolete. VST3 doesn't really support MIDI. So, why not target CLAP there?

Thank you for this message!

As a product manager, I understand that in every killer feature there must be value and a solution to the pain of a large number of users of the product.

Or such a decision should be consistent with a long-term product development strategy.
I have tried discussing Cakewalk's SMM strategy on this forum here, but to no avail.

In general, CLAP is not as clear to me as it is to you.
You can try making a post about the value of CLAP for Cakewalk by BandLab and tag the developers.

What do you think about it?

Edited by Asato Maa

I am a programmer  and I am not working for BandLab. They have skilled people which understand what CLAP is and how much work is required to support it (as you could see in the answer from Noel, that is unfortunately not easy).

I just thought leaving this thread in the state "users don't see a point" was not good. I prefer to support progressive ideas. And when something "is not there" and I can make it on my own, I try to do this (f.e. you can find my post early today what was not possible yesterday, but possible now, even so the number of "users" of the feature is probably close to... 😏).

I'd say there are enough issues with existing plugin formats that need to be addressed first (incompatabilities, genuine surround support*, MIDI FX support, VST expression) before worrying about a nascent format that hasn't established itself.

* I'm not sure this is worthwhile, personally, but it's still missing).

• 2 months later...

The great thing about CLAP is there's nobody to shut it down.  VST can send a letter to everyone to stop creating new plugs, but with CLAP there's no agreement to sign!

CLAP is open source, released under the MIT license: No fees, memberships or proprietary license agreements are required before developing or distributing a CLAP capable host or plug-in, and the license never expires. - https://u-he.com/community/clap/

https://cleveraudio.org/

https://github.com/free-audio/clap

Anyone else interested?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, El Diablo said:

The great thing about CLAP is there's nobody to shut it down.  VST can send a letter to everyone to stop creating new plugs, but with CLAP there's no agreement to sign!

CLAP is open source, released under the MIT license: No fees, memberships or proprietary license agreements are required before developing or distributing a CLAP capable host or plug-in, and the license never expires. - https://u-he.com/community/clap/

https://cleveraudio.org/

https://github.com/free-audio/clap

Anyone else interested?

this answered the question i was going to ask (what's the point of another plugin format?) so thx