Guage Mic Locker - $29

Heath Row

MicLockerBanner2020_1024x1024.jpg?v=1593

Quickly and easily enhance the sound of ANY TRACK by adding the

tone and character of the world's most iconic and desirable

microphones, with stunning results.

The Gauge Mic Locker is the most accurate and responsive sonic enhancement plug-in ever created.

Using the Mic Locker plug-in with ANY TRACK YOU HAVE IN YOUR SESSIONS, you will have your own Virtual Microphone Locker!

Developed by Dr. Chandler Bridges with Final Mix Software and a team of researchers, these response curves are unbelievably accurate and faithful.

"We have been developing this plugin for years and we modeled some of the world's most iconic microphones. You don't need a $5,000 microphone. You just need Mic Locker Software." - Dr. Chandler R. Bridges

Gauge's Mic Locker will improve, expand, and compliment the sound of your recordings, loops, or samples by adding the tone and character of the world's most iconic microphones. With stunning results!

Mic Locker is incredibly simple and easy to use.  Just insert it on an audio track, select a classic microphone, and adjust the slider to your taste.

This is a recording and voice over artist's dream!

Add the Gauge Mic Locker to your cart now to take advantage of this special offer.

$29   ($99)

https://www.gauge-usa.com/collections/gauge-universal-mic-locker-software/products/gauge-mic-locker-software-license

2 hours ago, heath row said:

Yeah, I took the LifeTime trial 😁

Installed, but still haven't tried it out yet, that will probably come on the weekend.

I have IK Mic Room (I think that's the name) and haven't really tried it out yet. Mostly there is no profile of my mic. Unless they added lately.

So I was looking at that Gauge mic and pair it with their mic sim software for that mic.

Yeah I've got IK's Mic Room and think it's great. I don't get so caught up in whether or not the result actually sounds like the mic it's supposed to be, I guess it will have some likeness, but to me they are just really to add another colour, another texture that just trying to copy it with an EQ can't really do, because there is something else going on there. I find more often than not regardless of the mic you use, the result will likely be better in some way, and removing the plug will not sound as good.

I use them the as much with amp sims as vocals, I stick one in between the amp sim and an IR loader, or after the cab loader, I prefer before, and the sound/tone generally becomes more focused, tighter with greater clarity. It's all just more tools, more options, more colours and textures that you other wise wouldn't have, and not so much making this mic sound like that mic, that's how I look at it any way. Same with Amp sims, they could say they modeled it on an old twin tub washing machine for all I care, as long as it sounds good, that's all that matters. 

I also got AA's Lava on Sunday, and you can get just as good stuff going in reverse, kind of, pick the target mic, and leave it, and then go through changing the Source Mics, there's pretty much not a bad sound/tone to be had. Love it.

With IK's Mic Room, Gauge's Mic Locker, and AA's Lava, the possibilities are endless. Lava has the most options of course, but that doesn't mean it's the only one. They are all great at what they do. I don't know how long the sale for Mic Locker goes for, but it might be a good idea to grab the demo and see what you think while it's at $29, can't hurt.

Although they say you should use the mic you have as the source, from what I have experienced, that's not such a hard and fast rule, because you can get awesome tones while disregarding that 'rule' altogether

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Grem said:

7 day trial of the plugin

Thanks for that, I couldn't find it; admittedly I didn't "look" hard.

Quick review (I don't want to P on anyone's parade, but just keepin' it real)

I hear a general thickening in the low end with basically all models; and this is at maximum.
Also, I'm "seeing" about a 0.6 dB increase in level (I'm sure my knackered ears can't "hear" that)

Now this is a vocal captured by a Royer 121 > Neve 517 (500 series pre/comp).
I set the pop screen so I'm not "drooling" on the mic, but I'm "close".
(Live, I'm soaking the "windscreen" on my '57.)

Do I "love" the plugin, not $29 worth.

Sorry, just keeping it real dogs... (as Randy would say).

t

Little side note:
I sold a Sphere L22, back when they were scarce (so it held its re-sale value; but only just).
It was a fine mic, pretty much the emulation I used was L22 Linear I think they called it.
Why did I sell it you ask; I was under the impression I could turn it off axis and get stereo recordings.
(it does create a stereo track that the software needs for the emulation, but its not a "stereo" sound field)
I enquired about it, basically the response was "working on it"; never materialized.

Sold an AEA R84, great mic, upgraded to the R88, which is the Stereo version.
Now I can do stereo captures without all the hassle of setting up two mics; priceless!

Edited by DeeringAmps
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1