Steinberg Releases Spectral Layers !

Just got an email from Steinberg announcing their release of Spectral Layers. Just reading briefly through the info but it looks like it will be an amazing release and to top it off Spectral Layers with be ARA2 compatible which really is exciting. Here is a link to the official product page.

https://new.steinberg.net/spectralayers/

Edited by Simeon Amburgey
Inserted YouTube intro video

From the 100% complete lack of an audio demonstration, that seems to me like a complete waste of time. 

Steinberg could also have called this tool "Microsurgery on Sound" or "Micro Cosmetic Surgery for your Sound". 

STOP NOW if you are not interested in my rant to follow!

It's like Photoshop for the person who loves photography, but most photographers do NOT want to learn a computer and the myriad of editing tools to show off the image he got on his camera.   In my youth I loved being a photographer for the school newspapers and yearbooks.  But if I was told back then that I would have to become an expert in an image editing program on a computer to show off my action shots taken at the soccer field, I don't think I would have done so.  Photography is one thing.  Photoshop is quite another.  At one time I loved taking photographs.  20 years ago I attempted to learn Photoshop and bought a couple books on it, but it was too difficult.  My love for photography got affected by the difficulty of what I was being presented with (you need to know both nowadays to do the job of photography).

The number of people using their DAW who have no classical music training, no ear training, no understanding of music theory, are now presented with an audio palet visual that takes you into the Sci-Fi zone.   Millions of people who play with synthesizers, but have not a clue on how to produce a great tone, let alone how to play a great song with it, is who this spectral editing will appeal to, is my bet.

Do any of us have a clue as to how, what, when, where to begin dissecting sound at that molecular scale?

Okay, perhaps there are a few people in the world who might make use of this, and when they speak about what they did to a sound and changed it's timbre in some interesting way, the rest of us will be in awe.  Or not. 

Listen to what that person did to a sound, and then listen to the song he never created, with no rhythm, no melody, etc., and you get my idea.

Have a nice day!

Edited by Toddskins
  • Great Idea 1

I know the above is a bogus rant.  So be easy on me.

I figure there is probably a way to edit spliced audio tracks in a way that makes them smooth, that could be beneficial.  A different way of doing what filters already do, right?

Or if they had taken the time to present an actual example of how to take the too loud "thump" out of the bass being played, kinda like a de-esser (?) or pops out of a vocal, that could be useful.

VERY Specialized training will be coming, right?  :)

Edited by Toddskins

Yep, it doesn't interest me at the moment but I am sure it will hypnotize others into using. Just another thing to learn when I already have too much to learn already.

9 hours ago, Toddskins said:

Photography is one thing.  Photoshop is quite another. 

Yes, like playing in a band is one thing and sitting at a computer with a DAW is another. You can still enjoy photography without going near Photoshop, just find a decent wet lab near you, take your snaps and get them to develop the images, turn out great! Like old school, never have to go near a computer. Professional photography has become reliant a bit more on the computer though.

Screens are hypnotizing and manufacturers of products that use screens are working out more ways to make them even more enticing, it all looks fantastic, you buy it and then 3 months later move on to the next shiny new item.

What should I do with my music this Saturday morning? Phone some mates have a jam and some coffee? Go busking down the local? Stay at home and fire up Cakewalk by myself?

One is easy, I don't have to go anywhere, the other two will take more effort and organization. Will the screen win?

• 3 weeks later...

I read about this app after I got the email too. I instantly thought about Izotope's RX product. Personally, as an audio correction tool, getting rid of broadband noise, pop, clicks, etc. RX is very handy. Using it for creative purposes - pass.

I didn't see any use for this tool.