$29 🎸 Guitar Pro 8

daveiv

1 hour ago, Grem said:

I don't use sample libraries that are huge. I didn't when I built it. : )

Now that I have Kontakt, that may change, but I really doubt it.

I don't do anything other than music on that computer. 32gb is working well for me.

To be quite honest, I consulted with Jim at Studio Cats. He listened to what I do, what I wanted, and my workflow with the programs I use and recommended 32gb.

Let's fix that problem: https://www.newegg.com/corsair-128gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820236562

12 minutes ago, Last Call said:

In a pst before I suggested Decent Sampler,  pianobook, Spitfire labs coz they are free.

I use Kontakt too because I have a shtload of free libraries and some paid.

What VIs do YYOOOUUUUUU use in Reaper to trigger from Guitar Pro MIDI? :D

1 hour ago, daveiv said:

What VIs do YYOOOUUUUUU use in Reaper to trigger from Guitar Pro MIDI? :D

Zimmer piano, free heavyocity libs, free symphonic orchestra, 

Steven slate drums (free set is awesome) I have them all though.

Not right now at the computer to tell more.

Edited by Last Call

11 minutes ago, Last Call said:

Zimmer piano, free heavyocity libs, free symphonic orchestra, 

Steven slate drums (free set is awesome) I have them all though.

Not right now at the computer to tell more.

Thank you. We should have a forum to discuss plugins, apart from discounts.

5 hours ago, daveiv said:

Let's fix that problem

No Problem!! My ram serves me well. And I really am a tightwad!! I ain't spending that kinda money on memory. : )

I would buy a Graphic card first!! And I ain't paying those inflated prices for those right now!! : ) (though those prices are starting to come down)

13 minutes ago, Grem said:

No Problem!! My ram serves me well. And I really am a tightwad!! I ain't spending that kinda money on memory. : )

I agree. I'm only using 16GB here, and never seem to run out of memory for my typical use. I'm not one of those users that sees a need for 100+ tracks with a heavy sampler use.

There was only one occasion that I thought that I may need 32GB, or more, and that was when I imported a full  orchestral template for Spitfire BBCSO Core into Studio One. It was over 100+ tracks plus sends and buses, etc. And every instrument track used an instance of the Spitfire Audio Player with its samples loaded into memory.

Yep I maxed on that one, LOL! That was just a look-see, as I am not into composing for full orchestra. Was just curious if I could load a full orchestra. At most I may be actually interested in trying some orchestral section ensembles, or adding orchestral instruments to other arrangements.

If you are going to be doing film scores for full orchestra, some extra RAM may be in order. But otherwise, nah! :)

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Grem said:

I would buy a Graphic card first!! And I ain't paying those inflated prices for those right now!! : ) (though those prices are starting to come down)

When things go awry, RAM is the usual suspect.

32 GB isn't bad, of course. It's just everything else in your rig is absurdly high. Eight-core i9 possibly running at 5 GHz + 8 TB of SSD + UAD DSP accelerator... I was curious why did you suddenly go modest with one of the most important components of the computer: memory.

A six-core i5 from the same generation with higher memory can perform better than your computer in certain situations, but you might or might not hit that bottleneck, depending on the usage.

I have plans to leave sample libraries altogether. With recorded instruments and outboard synths triggered by MIDI, I can work on a potato. :)

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, daveiv said:

32 GB isn't bad, of course. It's just everything else in your rig is absurdly high. Eight-core i9 possibly running at 5 GHz + 8 TB of SSD + UAD DSP accelerator... I was curious why did you suddenly go modest with one of the most important components of the computer: memory.

Just commenting on this observation. More memory won't make the PC perform any faster. Any extra beyond what you need is just a waste of money, best spent on a faster CPU or more SSD storage. Trust me on this, as I have been building PCs for over 20 years. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, abacab said:

More memory won't make the PC perform any faster.

And just to clarify this statement...

Having less memory than you need will definitely slow your computer down. Best to observe the Windows Task Manager to see what is using your memory and how much. If it appears low when you are using the PC heavily, add memory! Otherwise, relax! :)

• Like 1

On 9/19/2022 at 4:02 PM, abacab said:

Any extra beyond what you need is just a waste of money, best spent on a faster CPU or more SSD storage.

And that's what I did. With the mindset of getting the most "bang-for-buck-for-as-many-years-as-I-can",  and most importantly,  my workflow setup, I don't think I have ever maxed out my ram.

However, when I go to mixing, I bring that i9 to it's knees sometimes.  There is no way I could go with and i5. I would just be back to freezing tracks and that's what I didn't want to do.

As for my storage I got a 4tb WD external storage unit for cheap around BF a few years ago. Then a few months later, after  the New Year started I got a 12gb WD external unit for only $30 more than I paid for the 4tb, so I jumped on it. That's 16tb of my total right there. Throw in a few 3tb Seagate HD I already had... it just kinda happened.

So my whole plan to get the mbfmb has come to life. I couldn't be more happy.

Edited by Grem
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, daveiv said:

Yeah...

640 KB seemed like a LOT back then. My first personal computer was a home-built S100-buss box with a Z80 CPU card and two (count them, 2) 8K by 8 RAM cards for a total of a whopping 16K. Each RAM card cost me about $500. I had a Tiny BASIC 3K ROM, but mostly I programmed in assembler. My external storage was on a cassette. No floppy. No hard drive. ADM3 TTY terminal. But I had a personal computer! I eventually upped the RAM and added twin double-density, double-sided 8" floppies (which I had to write the driver for myself). Ran CP/M great.

My first DOS computer had an 8088, ran CP/M and CP/M86 and DOS. It was a Heathkit that came with 192K of RAM. It had a great color display controller that DOS2 on an IBM PC couldn't match. Spent the bucks and maxed out the RAM to 640K. Twin floppies and a small hard drive. Used it for years.

My new phone, a Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 (bought for my birthday last month) has 512 GB of storage and 8 GB of RAM, and cost way less than my first S100-buss computer. And that's not accounting for inflation!

My, oh my!

• Like 1