$29 🎸 Guitar Pro 8

daveiv

9 minutes ago, John Maar said:

I see G.A.S. in your future. 🎸

I have licenses for Studio One Pro, SONAR Platinum (now Cakewalk) and Reaper. I've settled on Studio One exclusively. I have a LOT of virtual instruments and FX plugins. I also have 3 2TB external SSDs to compliment the 1TB internal SSD on my laptop. Plus the Thunderbolt 3 port extender and an audio interface. Looks like a rat's nest behind my laptop when I close the lid. 🤪

Glad you brought that up. Hardware specs in the forum signatures of you and @Grem caught my attention lately.

Why you guys settled for only 32 GB of RAM, while everything else is maxed out?

1 hour ago, daveiv said:

Are the built-in realistic sounds and effects good enough for producing acceptable demo tracks of your songs?

I'd say the answer depends on what is your definition of acceptable and what instruments you're using. I don't think any of the instruments are realistic when compared to actual VIs, but some of them sound quite nice, like the acoustic guitars. Strings and horns on the other hand are quite horrible. For a $29 software percussions are ok, I think.

If you're demoing the songs to your band then any sound will probably do. If you're doing professional work and you need a demo for your client, GP's RSE won't be good enough.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, daveiv said:

Glad you brought that up. Hardware specs in the forum signatures of you and @Grem caught my attention lately.

Because 32 GB of RAM was what my Gen 1 Lenovo ThinkPad P17 came with. It was a preconfigured system that was discounted 50%. The Gen 2 P17s support up to 128 GB of DDR4 RAM, but I'm really happy with what I got for the money. One external drive is a TB3 SSD for my samples. The other 2 2TB SSDs are USB3.2, still super fast. One's for song development, the other's for backup.

Edited by John Maar
  • Great Idea 1

8 hours ago, pseudopop said:

I'd say the answer depends on what is your definition of acceptable and what instruments you're using. I don't think any of the instruments are realistic when compared to actual VIs, but some of them sound quite nice, like the acoustic guitars. Strings and horns on the other hand are quite horrible. For a $29 software percussions are ok, I think.

If you're demoing the songs to your band then any sound will probably do. If you're doing professional work and you need a demo for your client, GP's RSE won't be good enough.

I wrote and produce my very first "song" in Guitar Pro!

firstmetal1.mp3

• Like 3

The sounds are not the greatest in GP, but some are recoverable with certain FX. Best bet is to compose and use the file to feed a VSTi that is adequate (i.e., edit in a DAW). A lot comes down to your preferred work flow. There are a truckload of good free VSTis out there, some only need proper FX applied to make them more than adequate.

• Thanks 1

One of the many ways I use GPro is to get drum midi loops. Once you download the GP file I export to a midi file and open in my DAW and if you find a drum groove you like, split it into a 2,4 or 8 bar midi file and then save it. I have hundreds saved, even from songs I do not really like.  This is great for drum fills too. Once you get it in your DAW you can manipulate it  to your heart's content. I assume you can still do this in GP 8, I'm still on 6.

If I can find a good Guitar Pro file of a song I like I also create backing tracks to practice learning the guitar parts for. Ultimate Guitar.com has some good ones on the site along with some shitty ones also.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

31 minutes ago, LAGinz said:

Can I license this on two computers ?

JRR hasn't sent my serial number yet but based on my research this suggests you should be able to

https://support.guitar-pro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000825529-GP7-6-Can-I-install-Guitar-Pro-7-6-on-more-than-one-computer-#:~:text=YES.,computers at the same time.

If it didn't allow it, I wouldn't have pulled the trigger.

5 hours ago, daveiv said:

I wrote and produce my very first "song" in Guitar Pro!

firstmetal1.mp3 472.31 kB · 11 downloads

I strongly suggest getting Decent Sampler and go to Pianobook and browse libraries that work for your song (all free)

Loopmidi for Windows, nothing for Mac, to communicate GP8 with your DAW so your composition sounds way better.

Oh, and all the labs from Spitfire are free, they have 2 drum kits at least. 

I think they even have a guitar.

Edited by Last Call
  • Thanks 1

I got my serial # around noon today. Not bad on delivery time. Thanks Unc!!

Will give it more time in a few days. Right now I am still just looking it over and trying to get familiar with it.

For those that know how those tab subscriptions works, would this idea be workable:

I was thinking,  it might be worth it to subscribe to UG (or the other service) for a little while and grab some good versions of songs I want, export them as midi files, then cancel till I want or need more. Workable? Pitfalls?

Edited by Grem

3 hours ago, mettelus said:

The sounds are not the greatest in GP, but some are recoverable with certain FX. Best bet is to compose and use the file to feed a VSTi that is adequate (i.e., edit in a DAW). A lot comes down to your preferred work flow. There are a truckload of good free VSTis out there, some only need proper FX applied to make them more than adequate.

2 hours ago, Last Call said:

I strongly suggest getting Decent Sampler and go to Pianobook and browse libraries that work for your song (all free)

Loopmidi for Windows, nothing for Mac, to communicate GP8 with your DAW so your composition sounds way better.

Oh, and all the labs from Spitfire are free, they have 2 drum kits at least. 

I think they even have a guitar.

But, but, the point of Guitar Pro for us is to escape the DAW and have a focused, self-contained songwriting tool...

• Like 1

On 9/17/2022 at 6:20 AM, ALC said:

Ultimate Guitar seems to be free but any GP files seems to take me to the subscription signup page.

On 9/17/2022 at 1:09 PM, bluzdog said:

you can sign up for free without a subscription and still download GP tabs.

Thanks.  I figured out that I have to find files of type "Guitar Pro" and not "Pro".

1 hour ago, daveiv said:

But, but, the point of Guitar Pro for us is to escape the DAW and have a focused, self-contained songwriting tool...

I agree, just that perhaps once you finish your composition, you can follow my suggestion. 

Also you could have a template and open it up when u use GP.

When you input midi notes on GP, the DAW reproduces it in real time, so perhaps doing this is even more inspiring to work.

YMMV. 

• Great Idea 1

10 minutes ago, Last Call said:

I agree, just that perhaps once you finish your composition, you can follow my suggestion. 

Also you could have a template and open it up when u use GP.

When you input midi notes on GP, the DAW reproduces it in real time, so perhaps doing this is even more inspiring to work.

YMMV. 

Meanwhile, I find it weird that Guitar Pro doesn't support VST plugins.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2022 at 3:33 AM, daveiv said:

I don't use sample libraries that are huge. I didn't when I built it. : )

Now that I have Kontakt, that may change, but I really doubt it.

I don't do anything other than music on that computer. 32gb is working well for me.

To be quite honest, I consulted with Jim at Studio Cats. He listened to what I do, what I wanted, and my workflow with the programs I use and recommended 32gb.