$29 🎸 Guitar Pro 8

daveiv

On 9/14/2022 at 7:39 PM, Brian Walton said:

What do you find made the expense worth it above the free Tux guitar?

I’ve been on guitar pro since gp5, so forgive me if my tux guitar knowledge is a bit fuzzy…I have worked with guys that were using it for putting their whole albums together and learned their workflow and it’s just what I’m used to at this point. I won’t try and sell you on it, but I guess aesthetics? You can import audio tracks with 8 as well . If you ever put together cover tracks from scratch. Export as pdfs for lessons. I would love it if you could export articulations, but it’s not too much hassle.

1 hour ago, sd said:

I have worked with guys that were using it for putting their whole albums together and learned their workflow and it’s just what I’m used to at this point.

Can you please give more details about that workflow?

I'm struggling to manage my songwriting and demo-making process, so I'm very interested to learn about a new approach.

22 hours ago, ALC said:

In the past, I've gotten the license keys immediately (within several minutes).  This is the first time I've had to wait, and I'm still waiting.

I did receive the license key this morning (the second day after ordering).

• Like 1

Now that I have Guitar Pro …

What sources of GP files do you use or recommend?

I know of https://www.mysongbook.com/ and https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/, both of which have subscriptions (for $5 a month and $24.99 a month, respectively).  Ultimate Guitar seems to be free but any GP files seems to take me to the subscription signup page.  What are peoples’ experiences with these sites?

Anyone using these or have other recommendations?

Edited by ALC

38 minutes ago, ALC said:

Now that I have Guitar Pro …

What sources of GP files do you use or recommend?

I know of https://www.mysongbook.com/ and https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/, both of which have subscriptions (for $5 a month and $24.99 a month, respectively).  Ultimate Guitar seems to be free but any GP files seems to take me to the subscription signup page.  What are peoples’ experiences with these sites?

Anyone using these or have other recommendations?

MySongBook tabs feature (usually) very good transcriptions. A lot of UG tabs have lesser quality transcriptions. I stopped using UG a long time ago. MSB is not too expensive, and they do have a free tab per day (that they choose), which is a nice way to try out a song you may not be familiar with or weren't actively looking for.

I'm a bass player, and have been happy with the bass transcriptions in MSB tabs.

You can gat to MSB directly from the home page in GP. Worked fine in v7. Even easier in v8.

Edited by John Maar
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, John Maar said:

A lot of UG tabs have lesser quality transcriptions. I stopped using UG a long time ago.

Did you try the UG subscription or are you talking about the free tabs?  The subscription provides access to official tabs which I assume should be higher quality (but you can correct me).

4 hours ago, John Maar said:

MySongBook tabs feature (usually) very good transcriptions. A lot of UG tabs have lesser quality transcriptions. I stopped using UG a long time ago. MSB is not too expensive, and they do have a free tab per day (that they choose), which is a nice way to try out a song you may not be familiar with or weren't actively looking for.

I'm a bass player, and have been happy with the bass transcriptions in MSB tabs.

You can gat to MSB directly from the home page in GP. Worked fine in v7. Even easier in v8.

MySongBook tabs aren't normal Guitar Pro files, are they? They're gone if you don't continue your MSB subscription?

37 minutes ago, ALC said:

Did you try the UG subscription or are you talking about the free tabs?  The subscription provides access to official tabs which I assume should be higher quality (but you can correct me).

Also responding to @daveiv 

I never had a subscription to UG, or to MSB for that matter. I purchase individual tabs for the songs I want (not enough on a monthly basis to justify a subscription). I purchased individual UG tabs way back, so I assume they were the same tabs I'd have gotten if I'd had a sub. The MSB tabs I've purchased don't disappear; they're always available. They are normal GP files, but I suspect that Dave is right that any you've been working with disappear if you had a sub and dropped it (another reason to buy the few you really want directly).

• Thanks 2

I d/l the program. Installed the trail (7day). Seems like this is much more than I was thinking it would be. I was imagining a program to play tab files and do some  minor creation of songs in tabs. But upon looking at the features I am impressed.

Probably should have picked this up long time ago. Looks to be worth the regular asking price. If you play guitar, at $29... no brainer IMHO.

• Like 4
  • Great Idea 1

4 hours ago, Grem said:

I d/l the program. Installed the trail (7day). Seems like this is much more than I was thinking it would be. I was imagining a program to play tab files and do some  minor creation of songs in tabs. But upon looking at the features I am impressed.

Probably should have picked this up long time ago. Looks to be worth the regular asking price. If you play guitar, at $29... no brainer IMHO.

Guitar Pro is one heck of an app. Tons of features developed over the years. The UI is lovely. Soloing/muting instruments for practice/learning purposes is a breeze. Its use as a notation/tab editor is also well executed. Superb piece of software for $29. I've been using Guitar Pro since v4 at least (that's all the further back this geezer's mind can go).

I have two "GP" apps, Guitar Pro and Gig Performer. I always think "Guitar Pro" for Guitar Pro and "GP" for Gig Performer since I'm on their forum daily. Gig Performer isn't cheap, but it is a superb VST/VI host for live performance and studio work. Too many great features to get into here. Forte is no more, and GP blows Cantabile, which I was using way back, out of the water. Mainstage, too. And I've never even tried the live performance feature of Studio One Pro since it was added. No need. Worth a check-out, IMO.

Gig Performer

Edited by John Maar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

5 hours ago, Grem said:

Are the built-in realistic sounds and effects good enough for producing acceptable demo tracks of your songs?

Edited by daveiv
maed an typpo

1 hour ago, daveiv said:

Are the built-in realistic sounds and effects good enough for producing acceptable demo tracks of your songs?

No, not really.  Good enough for making a backing track to practice to? Yes.

You'll need a DAW and the appropriate virtual instruments or Band in a Box (BiaB) for that. BiaB isn't cheap. List for the Ultra Pak (which can be upgraded to from lesser Paks, but where you'll want to wind up anyway) is $469, with annual upgrades with a bunch of new content at $129. Black Friday is coming. BiaB is a really good tool. It has been around a LONG time and shows its DOS roots in some places (like the menus), but their forum is excellent. Company reps and even Dr. Peter Gannon (BiaB founder) respond to questions. If you're not a current DAW user and know your way around a tool like that, BiaB is great. RealTracks played by real musicians and and tons of Styles for songs.

Band in a Box

Check out Henry Clarke's YT channel for songs he's recorded using BiaB and for his BiaB tutorials.

Henry Clarke on YouTube (BiaB songs and tutorials)

Here's a tutorial video example.

Edited by John Maar
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

5 minutes ago, John Maar said:

No, not really.  Good enough for making a backing track to practice to? Yes.

You'll need a DAW and the appropriate virtual instruments or Band in a Box (BiaB) for that. BiaB isn't cheap. List for the Ultra Pak (which can be upgraded to from lesser Paks, but where you'll want to wind up anyway) is $469, with annual upgrades with a bunch of new content at $129. Black Friday is coming. BiaB is a really good tool. It has been around a LONG time and shows its DOS roots in some places (like the menus), but their forum is excellent. Company reps and even Dr. Peter Gannon (BiaB founder) respond to questions. If you're not a current DAW user and know your way around a tool like that, BiaB is great.

Band in a Box

Check out Henry Clarke's YT channel for songs he's recorded using BiaB and for his BiaB tutorials.

Henry Clarke on YouTube (BiaB songs and tutorials)

BiaB is cool but I don't need automatic accompaniment at all. Every single note has to be my own. Apparently my best bet is routing MIDI from Guitar Pro to a DAW and trigger guitar, bass, drum VIs.

I should also look into Cakewalk, Reaper, and Mixcraft's staff notation features.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, daveiv said:

BiaB is cool but I don't need automatic accompaniment at all. Every single note has to be my own. Apparently my best bet is routing MIDI from Guitar Pro to a DAW and trigger guitar, bass, drum VIs.

I should also look into Cakewalk, Reaper, and Mixcraft's staff notation features.

I see G.A.S. in your future. 🎸

I have licenses for Studio One Pro, SONAR Platinum (now Cakewalk) and Reaper. I've settled on Studio One exclusively. I have a LOT of virtual instruments and FX plugins. I also have 3 2TB external SSDs to compliment the 1TB internal SSD on my laptop. Plus the Thunderbolt 3 port extender and an audio interface. Looks like a rat's nest behind my laptop when I close the lid. 🤪

• Haha 2