$29 🎸 Guitar Pro 8

daveiv

8 hours ago, daveiv said:

Do you also do all the drum, bass, etc. arrangements and such in GP?

Yes, everything. Even the strings, synths and vocals. I've never given it much thought, but I'd say there are three main reasons for this:

1. Compared to a DAW project, Guitar Pro is faster to open and it's faster to make changes into the composition and arrangement with it, so it makes sense to make the song as complete as possible with it.
  2. I find it's easier to collaborate with GP than with a DAW, because other people don't need the same VIs and the whole song is just a single file. Also, GP is a much smaller investment both financially and mentally.
  3. GP offers Realistic Sound Engine, but I use pure GM Synth sounds provided by Microsoft. This helps me from falling into the illusion that a melody is good when in reality it's just the prepared piano that sounds good. If something sounds good with GM sounds it's going to sound great when you use proper VIs. As a bonus, since the sounds are very "pure" even the slightest dissonance is clearly audible, which I find helps with composing.

I want to point out that GP's weakness in my opinion is handling note dynamics. The problem is that when you set the dynamic it sets it for all the notes on the same beat. This is particularly problematic if you want to play the hi-hat with alternating dynamic, because it affects the kick drum and snare too. GP 8 introduces an alternative way to set the dynamics that fixes this, but I find it cumbersome, especially with drums where there may be a lot of changes in dynamics.

I'm currently experimenting with using multiple tracks for the drums, so that I have hi-hat on one track, kick on another etc. I'm not sure yet if this helps or hinders in the long run, but at least it's easier to do fine tuning in the DAW.

8 hours ago, daveiv said:

Do you think transitioning from DAW piano roll to GP's music notation would be difficult?

Do you know how to read and write music notation? I think that's the deciding factor. And there's always the tab notation, which you can use with every instrument (even the drums!) and which I personally find easier and faster to read and write.

GP also has a MIDI input option, so you should be able to record your playing like with a DAW. I haven't used it much, so I can't say how well it works in practice.

Edited by pseudopop
  • Like 1

@daveiv if you buy GP. Let us know. There's a lot of features that take up real estate on the main screen that take up real estate on the main screen that you won't need or use right away and there's an incredible selection of song tabs formatted for GP on Ultimate guitar for free but it's not obvious how to download them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bluzdog said:

My favorite feature is on the Fretboard view settings. Turn on the scale and select a scale/mode.

Then use the Fretboard to input notes on the tab/partiture! OMG, this is a such an awesome feature I just found out.

Works same way with the Keyboard view.
This makes composing a breeze! X)
(I hate Reaper's vertical Piano Roll, although I understand why it´s made that way).

EDIT: Previously I used the number keyboard to input notes X) 

Edited by Last Call
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, pseudopop said:

The problem is that when you set the dynamic it sets it for all the notes on the same beat.

So Guitar Pro 8 new feature: 

Adjust the sound precisely

Customize the duration, the offset and the relative velocity of each note of your score.

doesn't fix this issue?

You can now mix drums volume better (

Mix the drum set

Adjust the sound of the drum set and percussion tracks by setting the volume and pan of each element.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kurre said:

How long do you usually have to wait on the redeem code, and the plugin itself?

Jrr way to handle things is new to me. Manual handling? Waiting time?

In the past, I've gotten the license keys immediately (within several minutes).  This is the first time I've had to wait, and I'm still waiting.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Last Call said:

So Guitar Pro 8 new feature: 

Adjust the sound precisely

Customize the duration, the offset and the relative velocity of each note of your score.

doesn't fix this issue?

Honestly, I'm not sure because I haven't used it at all, yet. I'm suspicious about it because the velocity change done via Audio Note Settings isn't visible anywhere, as far as I can tell. If you set the dynamic via the toolbar (p, mp, mf, f, etc.), you can see what it is when the cursor is on top of the note, or directly from the notation depending on your stylesheet settings.

The problem is that GP doesn't think these as note dynamics but instrument dynamics, so when I have multiple instruments on the same track (drum kit) and I want to change the dynamic multiple times in the same measure for individual notes, it doesn't work the way I want it to.

Currently my solution is to not set the dynamics in GP and handle it in the DAW instead, and use multiple drum tracks in certain cases.

4 hours ago, Last Call said:

You can now mix drums volume better (

Mix the drum set

Adjust the sound of the drum set and percussion tracks by setting the volume and pan of each element.)

Yes, but only if you use RSE sounds (I use MIDI) and it doesn't fix the dynamic problems of individual hits.

6 hours ago, Last Call said:

EDIT: Previously I used the number keyboard to input notes X) 

I still do. I find it much faster than clicking on the virtual fretboard/keyboard. Left hand on the arrow keys, right on the numpad. :)

14 hours ago, Brian Lawler said:

I am a bit miffed that my Arobas upgrade price from V7 is also $35 though.  Cheaper to just buy it as new from JRR.

They sent me an upgrade offer in June. It was around €24.

11 hours ago, bluzdog said:

My favorite feature is on the Fretboard view settings. Turn on the scale and select a scale/mode.

My favorite is the file browser they introduced in v7. CTRL+B to open it, then CTRL+F to filter the files and then arrow keys & enter to open the file you want or space bar for a quick listen. Much faster than clicking around the file open dialog.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2022 at 7:06 AM, Kurre said:

Thanks. It's nice of you.

I already use protonmail and like it.

I have bought it and waiting for licence.

PS. I'm registered at 43 different plugin sites.

It seems that every plugin that interest me is sold from a different site. Apart from Ample Sound. Is it some law of nature?🤪

I made the smart move of using my personal email address for all the plugin marketplaces and product vendors.

Now I dedicate the first two hours of weekdays to delete deals emails, this I don't receive discount offers when I need a particular one.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, pseudopop said:

I still do. I find it much faster than clicking on the virtual fretboard/keyboard. Left hand on the arrow keys, right on the numpad.

Oh yeah, I totally get you, but I picture myself using more the keyboard or fretboard to visualize the scale I set when composing at least. Or use it just as a visual reference and if you have a midi keyboard/controller to input the notes.

You're right about midi vs RSE dynamics, sad face 🤗

1 hour ago, daveiv said:

Even if GP8 is not up to precise MIDI editing for VI dynamics, I guess it's still valuable for songwriting and preparing a rough demo?

YES, IT IS! I listened to some demos entirely made with Guitar Pro, and they were quite good.

• Like 1

Just received my code to redeem at plugivery. Guess it was not an advance fee scam after all😁.

Edit: Spoke too soon. When I tried to redeem my code, I received an "invalid code" error. I am sure JRR will sort it out.

Edit 2: Turns out the the instructions from JRR were wrong. The code was not actually a plugivery redemption code but the actual license for Guitar Pro 8. It is installed and rockin' now.

Edited by Doug Rintoul
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Doug Rintoul said:

Just received my code to redeem at plugivery. Guess it was not an advance fee scam after all😁.

Edit: Spoke too soon. When I tried to redeem my code, I received an "invalid code" error. I am sure JRR will sort it out.

Edit 2: Turns out the the instructions from JRR were wrong. The code was not actually a plugivery redemption code but the actual license for Guitar Pro 8. It is installed and rockin' now.

Congratulations! I was waiting for your confirmation. I'm pulling the trigger tomorrow.

Are you liking it so far?

1 minute ago, daveiv said:

Congratulations! I was waiting for your confirmation. I'm pulling the trigger tomorrow.

Are you liking it so far?

Actually haven't had time to try it out yet. I just installed it and made sure the code worked. But it looks like it will be really helpful. I am a guitarist but I have never used TAB notation. I have been wanting to learn it for a long time now.

• Great Idea 1