$29 🎸 Guitar Pro 8

daveiv

5 minutes ago, bluzdog said:

That's a good deal. I find it handy sometimes for working out tunes. You can download free guitar pro files from ultimate guitar. I have GP7, paid full price with no regrets.

That's cool. I'm just a beginner; is it useful for learning guitar as well?

45 minutes ago, daveiv said:

Anyone enjoys this program?

I use it alot. It's my main tool for composing. As the name implies it's better suited for guitar music (= "band music") than orchestral music, though. I've used it for years so I'm comfortable writing music with it, but it admittedly has its idiosyncrasies.

2 minutes ago, daveiv said:

I guess that depends on what kind of things you want to learn.

It would probably be most useful for practicing playing in sync. You can change the tempo and loop the parts you want, which is nice for grinding difficult parts. You can also change the tuning of the instruments, so any obscure tunings are not a problem when you want to play along.

But if you just want to learn how to play a song I'm not sure if it's that much better than a traditional tab book.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, daveiv said:

https://www.jrrshop.com/arobas-guitar-pro

Anyone enjoys this program?

I love it, but it's not perfect.

Too bad I don't have even 15 bucks right now to spend on anything but food. 🤣 

I LOVE it to death to compose, RSE sounds are not that bad but I rather use midi sometimes because some of the RSE are out of tune and they never bothered to fix them.

What I do is open Reaper (DAW) and prepare tracks to receive midi from Guitar Pro and your compositions (any tab really) come to life like you had no idea.

To learn guitar? Omg for that is super duper: you can select bars and loop them, you can speed up each time it loops towards the original tempo (this part is hearsay).

It's great to SEE and understand what is going on in the song, guitar wise and otherwise.

Metronome to help you even further to understand the relationship between the riff and the actual time time signature, maybe the song is all triplets, maybe all the song has swing, etc.

• Great Idea 1

2 hours ago, daveiv said:

Absolutely, if you don't mind reading tab. It can also display the tab on a virtual fretboard, slow it down, loop, etc. You can also go through a list of scales and modes and display them on a virtual fretboard. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Kurre said:

When i go there it says 35 but no biggie with that difference.

I'm a bit interested but i'm not registered at Jrr.

I feel tired of registering. I have so many sites registered without ever going there a second time.

Add it to the cart.  It should automatically apply a discount code.  Try "group" to bring it down to $29.40.  OP should probably mention this.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ALC said:

Add it to the cart.  It should automatically apply a discount code.  Try "group" to bring it down to $29.40.  OP should probably mention this.

As ALC said, when you add it to the cart a coupon is called groupbuyauto is automatically applied to bring the price down to $29.75. However, if you explicit enter the coupon code "GROUP", it brings the price down to $29.40. It is strange that groupbuyauto is not the same as entering the "GROUP" coupon code.

If you’re into playing guitar,  (@ any level really) I’d say it’s worth it. I’ve been using these programs (powertab/tux/guitar pro) for too long to even remember, late 90s early 00’s , if I had to guess. Guitar pro 8 is pretty nice and the learning curve isn’t too steep. And yes, like someone mentioned you can export midi to daws for better vst/au backing tracks. Use it as a compositional tool/ use it in conjunction with a program like transcribe! for transcribing YouTube clips, etc. Lots of practice tools/chord/scale/arpeggio dictionaries.

Tons of free tabs available at ultimate guitar (although beware of the accuracy / some tweaking may be necessary)

So for $30 , I’d definitely recommend it 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, sd said:

If you’re into playing guitar,  (@ any level really) I’d say it’s worth it. I’ve been using these programs (powertab/tux/guitar pro) for too long to even remember, late 90s early 00’s , if I had to guess. Guitar pro 8 is pretty nice and the learning curve isn’t too steep. And yes, like someone mentioned you can export midi to daws for better vst/au backing tracks. Use it as a compositional tool/ use it in conjunction with a program like transcribe! for transcribing YouTube clips, etc. Lots of practice tools/chord/scale/arpeggio dictionaries.

Tons of free tabs available at ultimate guitar (although beware of the accuracy / some tweaking may be necessary)

So for $30 , I’d definitely recommend it 

What do you find made the expense worth it above the free Tux guitar?

• Great Idea 1

14 hours ago, pseudopop said:

I use it alot. It's my main tool for composing. As the name implies it's better suited for guitar music (= "band music") than orchestral music, though. I've used it for years so I'm comfortable writing music with it, but it admittedly has its idiosyncrasies.

Do you also do all the drum, bass, etc. arrangements and such in GP? Do you think transitioning from DAW piano roll to GP's music notation would be difficult?

13 hours ago, Last Call said:

I love it, but it's not perfect.

Too bad I don't have even 15 bucks right now to spend on anything but food. 🤣 

I LOVE it to death to compose, RSE sounds are not that bad but I rather use midi sometimes because some of the RSE are out of tune and they never bothered to fix them.

What I do is open Reaper (DAW) and prepare tracks to receive midi from Guitar Pro and your compositions (any tab really) come to life like you had no idea.

To learn guitar? Omg for that is super duper: you can select bars and loop them, you can speed up each time it loops towards the original tempo (this part is hearsay).

It's great to SEE and understand what is going on in the song, guitar wise and otherwise.

Metronome to help you even further to understand the relationship between the riff and the actual time time signature, maybe the song is all triplets, maybe all the song has swing, etc.

I'm so used to arranging songs by recording MIDI in a DAW from start to finish. I was interested in GP for guitar learning, but I'm surprised that people here are using it for the whole composition process. Apparently GP can handle drumming and piano notes too, just like a normal music notation software. I should download the demo.

10 hours ago, Kurre said:

When i go there it says 35 but no biggie with that difference.

I'm a bit interested but i'm not registered at Jrr.

I feel tired of registering. I have so many sites registered without ever going there a second time.

An email account for those website registrations & a password manager to the rescue.

https://proton.me/mail

https://keepassxc.org/

• Like 2

12 hours ago, bluzdog said:

Absolutely, if you don't mind reading tab. It can also display the tab on a virtual fretboard, slow it down, loop, etc. You can also go through a list of scales and modes and display them on a virtual fretboard. 

Thank you. I want to know the fretboard like the back of my hand. 9_9

22 minutes ago, daveiv said:

An email account for those website registrations & a password manager to the rescue.

https://proton.me/mail

https://keepassxc.org/

Thanks. It's nice of you.

I already use protonmail and like it.

I have bought it and waiting for licence.

PS. I'm registered at 43 different plugin sites.

It seems that every plugin that interest me is sold from a different site. Apart from Ample Sound. Is it some law of nature?🤪

• Like 1