A|A|S soundpack for Multiphonics CV-1, Swatches updated

Starship Krupa

A|A|S have come out with Modular City, a soundpack for their modular synth, Multiphonics CV-1. This suggests that since it will also play in the free A|A|S Player/Swatches app, Multiphonics CV-1 uses the same modeling synth engine their other instruments are built around.

The promo includes the soundpack and Multiphonics CV-1 for 50% off list.

Also: Swatches has been updated to 1.60 and now includes patches from Modular City and Love Lost (the latest Strum soundpack). This brings Swatches up to 628 different patches, which is astonishing. They're excellent sounds, too, the ones that A|A|S have picked to show off each soundpack.

4 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Swatches has been updated to 1.60 and now includes patches from Modular City and Love Lost (the latest Strum soundpack). This brings Swatches up to 628 different patches, which is astonishing. They're excellent sounds, too, the ones that A|A|S have picked to show off each soundpack.

https://www.applied-acoustics.com/swatches/

• Like 1

Wow. First impression is that the 8 patches from Modular City are my least favorite in all of Swatchlandia, as a group.

Usually there's at least one cool and/or useful sound. I wonder what happened here.

One of them sounds like the typical "default" sound on a subtractive synth emulation. Is the idea to show how pure a sine wave their algorithm can generate?

"How more sine can it get? None. None more sine."

Edited by Starship Krupa
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just listened to them (the ones in Swatches).  I think they (the ones in Swatches) may be directed towards a limited range of musical genres. Not sure if they represent the entire Sound Pack.  Personally, my modular of choice is VM, but I do like the sounds of CV-1 (the ones in CV-1 itself which others have done).  I have chosen not to develop custom patches in CV-1 (too old to learn enough to develop personal proficiency to a level that would make it worth my while). 

However, if AAS develops knock out patches in other Sound Packs that target other genres, I can see using CV-1 as a sound expansion module.

Edited by User 905133
Clarification added: them = "the ones in Swatches"
  • Like 1

A lot of the patches here are variations on a theme.  They share similar architecture, but are not just the same rack with different settings of the knobs.  For example, in version 1 you might have a cable going from point A to B, in version 2 the cable goes from C to D, and might not be there at all in version 3.

There are some analog plucks, dirty basses, dubstep wobbles, percussion sequences which sound like they could have been made with Chromaphone, guitar like things, individual drum sounds, something that sounds like a Peruvian flute mashed up with tabla drums, a few typical sequences, and some saturated sounds.

I don't know what they included for Swatches, but you can get a better idea here on the demo page.  

https://www.applied-acoustics.com/modular-city/

• Like 1

On 9/14/2022 at 10:31 AM, User 905133 said:

I think they (the ones in Swatches) may be directed towards a limited range of musical genres. Not sure if they represent the entire Sound Pack. 

16 hours ago, Magic Russ said:

A lot of the patches here are variations on a theme. . . .

I don't know what they included for Swatches, but you can get a better idea here on the demo page.  

Thanks for the overview, details, and link.  The demos give a better idea of the breadth of what's included.  FWIW, here's what's in Swatches.

image.png.bf478b6078dd01bc1fa2b7623b470d07.png

Edited by User 905133