Drunken Eyes

53mph

I've recently reissued my officially unreleased album from 2002. 

The original mixes were mastered for vinyl and CD, so I remastered it for streaming.

It's up on all the usual platforms, but surprisingly You Tube Music seems to be getting the most hits. So, I'll put a link to that here>

It's really interesting looking at the stats I get back from all the various platforms.

Currently, top of the streams is You Tube Music, followed by Spotify. What's really interesting though is that Apple Music has zero hits. Every now and then I get a Shazam, but Apple has never delivered for me. Does anyone still use it for music? Another disappointment is Deezer. No love for Deezer, it seems.

Is it just my knackered ears or is there some "wow and flutter" on the guitar track?
Chorus or flanger, maybe?
Reminds me (though not as extreme) of the guitar on Jumpin' Jack Flash (the two acoustics were recorded on a cassette IIRC).
As far as streaming services, can't help you there.
However, would be interested in the differences in the mastering for streaming.
Also, I'm assuming the original mastering would have been different for vinyl and the CD; not the same master for both; right?

t

2 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

However, would be interested in the differences in the mastering for streaming.

I think the best way of putting it is that the CD version was more transparent with more variation in the high and low volume peaks.

Streaming tends to squash the sound more because it needs to cut through on all types of speakers (laptop, car, crappy earbuds). It needs to be more in your face.

4 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

Is it just my knackered ears or is there some "wow and flutter" on the guitar track?
Chorus or flanger, maybe?
Reminds me (though not as extreme) of the guitar on Jumpin' Jack Flash (the two acoustics were recorded on a cassette IIRC).

On track 1, the main guitar is my old Danelectro plugged straight into the desk, is that the one you mean?

Most of the track was recorded on a Digital 8 track (year 2000 baby) with some Zoom effect rack. The drums were recorded with 3 mics in Archway practice studios into the digital 8 track (pretty impressive if you ask me).  Bass may have been recorded at a studio in Brixton. Vocals (if I remember) were recorded in my old companies pro recording studio, so nice mic. Everything else was recorded by me on either a cassette 4 track, or Digital 8 track, or into Cool Edit.  It was slated to be a single release (got a release note and everything), but it never happened.

• Like 1

Hi Philip - VPN to Milan worked!!

Liked the track, it must have been pretty hard to mix, but by and large sounds OK - I might just lift the vocals a little bit.

Streaming - sorry before I mention that let me take my Valium - now what is it they pay me per stream...all I know is that it has  got a great deal of noughts in it - unfortunately before the number not after!!!!!!

We mainly use Youtube Videos and Spotify Streaming - honestly, I can't remember anything re Apple or Deezer for a very long time - I will have to check.

As we have now got a half decent subscriber base, we can actually get something from YouTube - but It's so little I couldn't even tell you what that is!!

Keep well

Nigel

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bajan Blue said:

We mainly use Youtube Videos and Spotify Streaming - honestly, I can't remember anything re Apple or Deezer for a very long time - I will have to check.

As we have now got a half decent subscriber base, we can actually get something from YouTube - but It's so little I couldn't even tell you what that is!!

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm not really thinking of the money, just curious as to how the different platforms seem to perform in terms of visitor numbers.  It seems that You Tube is doing something right because I'm getting a lot of hits without even pushing the tracks.....whereas Spotify.....I'm on about 20 playlists, but they only start counting after 20 plays, so the numbers are very low.  I have no idea what is happening with Apple though.....zero interest on Apple. I guess my music just doesn't appeal to Appleheads.

Well done on the subscriber base.  :D