Cakewalk - iZOTOPE compatibility

k.a.y

On 1/21/2024 at 9:08 PM, bitflipper said:

Try a reset/rescan with the scan log enabled. Be sure to do the Reset.

scan2.png.fb2258afc1923f5526eb7d24c63a7b5f.png

The log file will be %appdata%\Cakewalk\Logs\VstScan.log

Open the log file in Notepad and search on any of your missing DLLs.

scan3.png.5f2aefe76b7af065600b41190edd9dbe.png

Just seeing the DLL appear in the log means the scanner was able to find it and the problem isn't your scan path list.

Keep searching for additional mentions of the DLL. If the DLL failed to initialize, there should be a clue in the log as to why it failed, e.g. a missing dependency or insufficient Windows permissions.

One other thing to check is the exclusion list. I think the Reset clears that list, but I don't know for sure. Plugins on the exclusion list (assuming you didn't manually exclude them) usually get there because they failed to scan the first time around. Open the scanner utility and click on the "Show Excluded" radio button.

BitFlipper thanks... I want to pull up my bootstraps enough to rise to the occasion (and this not be over my head).

Per your reply, I did the reset and then scan, both times with the Generate Scan Log checked.

I must admit I'm foggy on the exact use of % signs in OS folder paths (I reckon they're wildcards that help look anywhere it finds the key folder?) and I noticed this by default in the VST folder paths in Cakewalk VST scan paths:

%localappdata%\programs\common\vst3

but anyway (I assume that's normal and not an issue)

More importantly --  with me ineptly at the admin helm, my computer isn't finding file:

%appdata%\Cakewalk\Logs\VstScan.log

and when I go to search it, it seems we stop at: %appdata%\Cakewalk\L...

where it finds:  %appdata%\Cakewalk\Library (but no Cakewalk\Logs folder alphabetically thereafter)

it finds this under Users\MyName\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk

Please let me know if I'm not generating or looking for the file correctly, I'd really appreciate it. If I just search for VstScan.log it sends me to Bing like there's no file.

Also I checked Show Excluded (both with or without Show Permanently Excluded checked as well) and can't get anything to show.

1)  What I don't understand is how Cubase can see them okay, if it's any issue with missing dependencies, or Windows permissions.

2) The Cakewalk Scan Path seems okay because :

c:\program files\common files\vst3\

...is in there, where Brainworx and other plugins in there are being seen and populated. 

Cakewalk just ignores anything in that same path's subfolder for izotope:

c:\program files\common files\vst3\izotope

as well as UAD ones like

c:\program files\common files\vst3\uaudio_oxidetape.vst3\

(that one gives me the creeps having a period . in the folder name (??) that's the folder name, not the final .vst3 file located a tier or two therein)

...so if I'm correct, the vst scan path list can't be the issue, because it's finding & populating other plugins one, two, three tiers deep into that same folder in question (instruments for midi tracks, and fx for audio tracks, alike).

Yet I can't get any exclusions to list.

Regarding the log file, though, I'm still wondering what I'm doing wrong to find or generate that.

Thank you for your help. This is so strange. I did verify Ozone etc. works fine in Cubase which I do not want to switch to at all.

I'll try anything to stay with Cakewalk.

Edited by prey

%appdata% is just shorthand for \users\Your_Name\AppData\Roaming. Less typing, and less confusing when the person you're explaining this to doesn't actually log into Windows as "Your_Name".  You can simply type "%appdata%" as if it were part of the pathname. Also useful in batch files since the path works for all users.

If in doubt as to whether you've found the right log, check its datestamp. If it shows the file was created 2 minutes ago, chances are you've found the right one.

So yes, it looks like you are looking in the right log file. Bear in mind that each time you rescan with the log option turned on, the output is appended to any existing log. So the information you see at the top of the file is actually the oldest. I usually go to the bottom of the file (CTL-End) and then specify an upward search on the word "Logfile:" to skip up to the newest entries. Hit F3 to repeat the search, thus going backward in time within the log.

If there are no warnings or error messages in the log, but the DLL does show up, then we can assume those plugins probably initialized OK. (I use the weasel-word "probably" because there are very rare circumstances where a plugin init fails so hard that the scanner stops scanning.)

How are you assigning plugins? Do you use the browser or the context menu (right-clicking on the fx bin)?

• Like 1

On 1/22/2024 at 11:55 PM, bitflipper said:

%appdata% is just shorthand for \users\Your_Name\AppData\Roaming. Less typing, and less confusing when the person you're explaining this to doesn't actually log into Windows as "Your_Name".  You can simply type "%appdata%" as if it were part of the pathname. Also useful in batch files since the path works for all users.

If in doubt as to whether you've found the right log, check its datestamp. If it shows the file was created 2 minutes ago, chances are you've found the right one.

So yes, it looks like you are looking in the right log file. Bear in mind that each time you rescan with the log option turned on, the output is appended to any existing log. So the information you see at the top of the file is actually the oldest. I usually go to the bottom of the file (CTL-End) and then specify an upward search on the word "Logfile:" to skip up to the newest entries. Hit F3 to repeat the search, thus going backward in time within the log.

If there are no warnings or error messages in the log, but the DLL does show up, then we can assume those plugins probably initialized OK. (I use the weasel-word "probably" because there are very rare circumstances where a plugin init fails so hard that the scanner stops scanning.)

How are you assigning plugins? Do you use the browser or the context menu (right-clicking on the fx bin)?

Thank you so much, for this detailed info. on doing highly useful troubleshooting in this manner. I will save this advice!

Update: I've lucked up by not really identifying the problem, but ---  a clean install first caused an endless Bandlab screen (not sure what I did) but Praised be the Bringer of all that is Good and Righteous --- a second clean install per  https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360034066393-Clean-Install-Cakewalk-by-BandLab 

... fixed everything. They're all there!!! UAD, Brainworx, iZotope

I am so very thankful to every one of you who helped.

Viva la Cakewalk!

Cakewalk fan since 1989.  Weird to see it leave Roland but it seems to still have the very coolest people buzzing about it in both an official and unofficial capacity. That and having it work is all that matters.

Thank you

Edited by prey
typo
  • Like 2