Sampletank 4.0.8 (Update 30th Sept 2019) (Not a Deal)

ZincT

53 minutes ago, balinas said:

Is it correct to assume that I need only download the SampleTank4.0.5.zip, Cuban Trumpet sound content.zip, and the  ST4Max Sound Library Update1.4.zip?

That is what I assumed although I haven't installed the update yet (on my to do list for today).

8 hours ago, balinas said:

Is it correct to assume that I need only download the SampleTank4.0.5.zip, Cuban Trumpet sound content.zip, and the  ST4Max Sound Library Update1.4.zip?

That is how the ST4.0.4 update and the sound library 1.3 updates worked. No need to download and install everything again! Just grab the new stuff!

Just a note that I think I may have found an issue with Sampletank 4.05. 

Saving instruments appears to be broken.  It creates files that cannot be subsequently reloaded on the next session. Instruments saved with 4.04 load ok, just not ones saved with 4.05.

Can anyone with Sampletank 4.05 verify this?

24 minutes ago, Promidi said:

Just a note that I think I may have found an issue with Sampletank 4.05. 

Saving instruments appears to be broken.  It creates files that cannot be subsequently reloaded on the next session. Instruments saved with 4.04 load ok, just not ones saved with 4.05.

Can anyone with Sampletank 4.05 verify this?

Thanks for the heads-up Promidi.

I will check that issue when I have a moment later but for now the main issue I have with ST4 is the apparent lack of multi-threading support.
This has not improved with version 4.0.5. I have a MIDI project currently which uses ST4 with drums on Ch 10 and various instruments on channels 11-15.
It's not a particularly busy project but thread 1 of 8 on my CPU is maxing out and causing audio dropouts. I understand others have found a workaround which is to use multiple instances of ST4 for each part but that seems like a cludge for what is supposed to be a multi-timbral instrument. I have been impressed by CbB's ability to load spread across CPU threads so I am pretty sure that it's not an issue with CbB although I will try it with Cubase, Studio One Pro 4 and Reaper when I get a moment. 

14 minutes ago, cclarry said:

I tried it in Standalone and it worked fine...I'll try with the VST
later and report back...

I left a post on the IK Multimedia Sampletank forums and the moderator there has confirmed he was able reproduce this issue.  I am going to lodge a support ticket at IK Multimedia.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ZincT said:

I will check that issue when I have a moment later but for now the main issue I have with ST4 is the apparent lack of multi-threading support.
This has not improved with version 4.0.5. I have a MIDI project currently which uses ST4 with drums on Ch 10 and various instruments on channels 11-15.
It's not a particularly busy project but thread 1 of 8 on my CPU is maxing out and causing audio dropouts. I understand others have found a workaround which is to use multiple instances of ST4 for each part but that seems like a cludge for what is supposed to be a multi-timbral instrument. I have been impressed by CbB's ability to load spread across CPU threads so I am pretty sure that it's not an issue with CbB although I will try it with Cubase, Studio One Pro 4 and Reaper when I get a moment. 

I am definitely seeing that CPU max in both ST4 standalone and plug-in mode, and I have confirmed it with Ableton Live and Studio One, in addition to CbB. So IMHO it's apparently an IK thing.

I am fairly certain that the high CPU usage is an issue with the new ST4 instrument engine, as I can load up the ST4 interface with ST3 instruments that use the legacy ST3 synth engine, without overloading the single thread.

So I think that SampleTank has always been single threaded, just that it was not that noticeable in the past. Even if they could update ST4 to share cores, not sure that would benefit beyond the standalone product, unless the DAW could support a plugin that shared multiple cores from a single instrument track.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, abacab said:

I am definitely seeing that CPU max in both ST4 standalone and plug-in mode, and I have confirmed it with Ableton Live and Studio One, in addition to CbB. So IMHO it's apparently an IK thing.

I am fairly certain that the high CPU usage is an issue with the new ST4 instrument engine, as I can load up the ST4 interface with ST3 instruments that use the legacy ST3 synth engine, without overloading the single thread.

So I think that SampleTank has always been single threaded, just that it was not that noticeable in the past. Even if they could update ST4 to share cores, not sure that would benefit beyond the standalone product, unless the DAW could support a plugin that shared multiple cores from a single instrument track.

Thanks for confirming this abacab. I agree that it was not noticeable in older versions and I see your point regarding sharing cores from a single instrument track.

Oddly I have just tried recreating the problem in Cubase Pro and it plays fine with all cores running evenly. I cannot find a CPU usage meter in Cubase like the one in CbB so I was using the Task Manager performance view with the graph displaying logical processors.  

3 hours ago, ZincT said:

Oddly I have just tried recreating the problem in Cubase Pro and it plays fine with all cores running evenly. I cannot find a CPU usage meter in Cubase like the one in CbB so I was using the Task Manager performance view with the graph displaying logical processors.  

Were you running multiple instruments within a single instance of ST4?

2 minutes ago, abacab said:

Were you running multiple instruments within a single instance of ST4?

Yes, the same as I was in CbB. The only difference was the selection of instruments but they were still drums on  ch 10 and various synths on ch 11 to 15. I will try it again with the exact same instruments in both. 

I submitted this to IK:

repeating midi notes butted up against each other don't all play.

Draw in the piano roll some repeated midi notes so that they touch but do not overlap.

In SampleTank 4.0.5, they don't all play.  I first noticed this on an acoustic guitar track using "American Acoustic", but then tried many patches from various libraries including SampleTank 3 instruments. 

I reverted to SampleTank 4.0.4, and all the notes play, as they do also in SampleTank 3.

• Like 1

I can't say I have noticed dropping notes with 4.05, but that does not say that I won't. because of the saving custom patch issue and now potentially this, I also have reverted to 4.04.  Looks like version 4.05 might have tanked....   Roll on 4.06 eh....

• Like 1

I have now setup the same ST4 patches in both CbB and Cubase versions of my MIDI song and I now also get CPU thread 0 spikes and glitches in Cubase.

I have tested the patch save problem which I can also replicate in 4.0.5.

I also just tested the repeating MIDI note problem and can also replicate it. I drew some notes in the PRV which play fine on Arturia Piano V2 but repeated notes are missed on the ST4 C7 Grand Cinemantic 1 patch.

Roll on 4.0.6 indeed Promidi! Let's hope it is tested a bit more thoroughly before release. Maybe they should release beta versions for end users to test before releasing a "final" version. 

Edited by ZincT
  • Like 1

I got a reply from IKM support and they asked me for screenshots or a video (obviously my detailed explanation was not enough).  I just created a detailed video showing the issue.  I showed the workflow using Sampletank 4.04 were the edited patch loaded successfully.  I repeated the same workflow with Sampletank 4.05 (same patch and everything) and the error appeared.

I am hoping this will be enough to get them to reproduce the issue and come up with a fix in the form of an update.

Until this is resolved, I am staying with Sampletank 4.04

• Like 1