Fulltone Is Closed: Is This The End Of The Boutique Era?

Old Joad

So once upon a time (well, not that long ago) when people wrote letters, I sent one to Fulltone asking about the HP (high pass) switch.

A few weeks later this showed up at my house with a note saying "Check it out for yourself"

a company would never do that now-a-days.

IMG_1582.thumb.JPG.ece638fd19cc51b059d161b732841b6c.JPGocd1.thumb.jpg.f1ee7f6b2d76427cf3293bbd0eb5aea4.jpg

And then have a look at how beautifully this puppy was put together.

0cd-guts.jpg.d6ca3dbf77482c1ff8227b177630093d.jpg

Edited by Old Joad
  • Like 1

had a OCD overdrive but didn't care for the sound.

later found I just don't like Mosfet and  Germanium overdrives.

have a classic 'ACDC' crunch sound in Amplitube Free.

tried maybe 10 overdrive pedals, this one was my favorite (but to me/in my setup it's not better than Amplitube's crunch).

I no this post make snowcents, what's my point ?  why the post / WHO CARES !?!?

Edited by Sheens
  • Like 1

So here is a lead I'm working on for one of my songs, so you can hear what it sounds like. it's still in the rough stage. I use the OCD peddle to clean up the TS-9.

I'm going from my STRAT to my Tube Screamer (TS-9) to my OCD out to my Marshall Amp:

And then I have a little reverb and delay just to take the edge off.

46 minutes ago, Old Joad said:

So here is a lead I'm working on for one of my songs, so you can hear what it sounds like. it's still in the rough stage. I use the OCD peddle to clean up the TS-9.

I'm going from my STRAT to my Tube Screamer (TS-9) to my OCD out to my Marshall Amp:

It's a good start, but you obviously need to add the stomp below to your chain and use setting #9...  (well, if you want to make Gold Records that is! 😁)

spd_one_kick_stomp_hero.jpg

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2022 at 10:43 PM, Old Joad said:

Hi Old Joad

Sounds very nice - I use an Ibanez Tube Screamer myself quite a bit although I have never used a Fulltone OCD pedal - in fact I don't think I've ever seen one before!!!

I have a Fulltone Full Drive 2, but have never really used it much - I prefer the sounds I can get from my Lovetone Pedals or my Siegmund Double Drive

I also use  Jacques and Zvex Pedals 

Nigel

• Like 1

i guess what i was really trying to say,

is that Fulltone was not the only game in town.

and the Barber stuff, is as boutique as it gets!!

fulltone spent a butt load of money on advertising.

Barber sells mostly by word of mouth. and they will NOT break the bank! 

there are lots of 'boutique' pedal makers out there, 

but i'll keep my fulltone pedals, they work great, sound great, were worth the money i paid for them.

updated-pedalboard.jpg

i'd say, i use the FATBOOT III pedal more than any other pedal. typically, it's the first stage of multi gain stages with my other pedals.

makes the fuzz sound awesome!

• Like 1

I don't really play guitar so I built this pedal board for my VOX AC-30 to have available for any visiting guitarist. Of course if a player comes with their own pedal board, even betterer.
image.thumb.png.6a63189de1c4523a7061ccd8d2f0ee57.png

I built the Ghost Drive (a Klon Klone kit from Stew Mac) but I found the two KTRs on Reverb for $600 and $700. This first KTR is for grit overdive, the last is for clean overdive.

I probably should/could replace the Blue Delay (for fat delay) with another Echoplex (the existing one is for slow delay). 

Edited by Bapu
  • Like 1

On 9/28/2022 at 5:58 AM, Bajan Blue said:

Hi Old Joad

Sounds very nice - I use an Ibanez Tube Screamer myself quite a bit although I have never used a Fulltone OCD pedal - in fact I don't think I've ever seen one before!!!

I have a Fulltone Full Drive 2, but have never really used it much - I prefer the sounds I can get from my Lovetone Pedals or my Siegmund Double Drive

I also use  Jacques and Zvex Pedals 

Nigel

Cool, the TS-9 is a killer stomp box😵it sounds great through a Marshall or a Fender amp. I also use the Ibanez TS9DX for rhythm guitar because it has a mellow voice.

22 hours ago, batsbrew said:

updated-pedalboard.jpg

21 hours ago, Bapu said:

image.thumb.png.6a63189de1c4523a7061ccd8d2f0ee57.png

Dang, You guys have some nice goodies🤩

• Like 1

I've got dozens of "boutique" pedals.

Only Fulltone I had on the board for a while was a Deja Vibe (though I've tried most everything they ever made).

There are so many fulltone pedals on the market that it doesn't even feel like "boutique" is even appropriate at this point.  Glad they had a long run, but not having them made any longer isn't going to be earth shattering.  Tons of other stuff on the market plus these are not the kind of thing that ends up in a landfill very often.  Those that got made will still work for a long long time and can be repaired when/if the Caps crap out some day.

There was a time where Fulltone was one of the only easily  available hand built options.  Now everyone and their brother is a pedal builder.  

There are a few things the market will lose with this annoucemnet - the actual real world tape delay and the tri chorus.  Other builders are not really going to spend time with that kind of stuff.  Everything else is well covered, IMO.

On 9/29/2022 at 8:05 PM, Old Joad said:

The day is coming when we won't be able to buy pedals, it will all be vst plugins.

The quality is starting to get there, but for those that are not just recording parts in a DAW dedicated foot switches and knobs are something a lot of people won't give up.  We are a long way off from that as physical gear is still booming - this guy is "getting out" because there are way too many people able to do it for cheaper.  

The issue isn't so much about a discussion of quality any longer as much it is about people want the interface while they are playing in real time.  As much as I like virtual gear it is far more annoying to try to setup a rig that you can interact with like analog gear when playing an instrument standing up not in front of a computer screen.

• Like 2