cakewalk as a midi slave : constant crash

Fsuchs

Hi!

Early user here, coming back to DAW after a 10 years hiatus.

I experiment a problem using Cakewalk as a midi slave. Simply want to record the four output of my soundcard, with clock distributed by my hardware set-up, for easy post editing and mixing.

I've set all the parameters as told on the online guide.

On the software, I arm a track, push record, cakewalk wait for the clock,  push play on my external sequencer, recording starts, so far so good.

I stop my external sequencer, cakewalk stops.  Rewind to starting point.

But as soon as i want to playback the previously recorded sequence, pushing play on my external sequencer, cakewalk freeze and quit. No sequence saved ect... Back to square one.

Just hope that someone  ran already through this issue, and can guide me to a quick fix ;) or perhaps this is a bug wich needs to be adressed.

For reference,  i use a old samsung I5 laptop, 8 go RAM with an really old but still valiant Lexicon Omega. external seq is a MV8800.

I gave up trying to sync SONAR/Cakewalk to a hardware BPM sequencer (Proteus 2500).  It worked somewhat, but took too much effort. 

1 hour ago, Fsuchs said:

On the software, I arm a track, push record, cakewalk wait for the clock,  push play on my external sequencer, recording starts, so far so good. [etc.]

That's part of it. Also, I found that having more than one project loaded even if I was only working on one at a time was a major problem!  I tracked that down, but don't remember all the details.  I seem to recall I had projects with different sync or metronome settings.  Not 100% sure.  Just mentioning the details that I remember in case you really want to try to make it happen.

Not sure if I wrote up any of the experiences.  I do remember a discussion from 2-3 years ago where I had timing bytes issues when trying to coordinate synchronization.  IIRC that involved P2500 --> SONAR/Cakewalk --> other BPM gear.  Not sure if you are attempting anything like that, too.

Edited by User 905133
"have" --> "gave" (typo fixed); added "somewhat" in the interest of clarity
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, thanks for your input.  To my ears, and from what I want it to do, the sync works well. 'till I stop the sequencer... And go back at the beginning of the track.  Then the software crashes. 

But ultimately, i would say that the sync is not that important. I just wanna use cakewalk as a portastudio (no sync involve) I will just  dont move any of my track around... :)

I have no choice, I really need to track 4 tracks at once, and cakewalk is the only free solution out there... :)