Revisited a track that was recorded in 2004 using programmed drums - replaced with the real thing...

PJH

In 2003 my band, Off the Edge recorded our fifth album entitled Site Under Construction. The album was released on cd in 2004.

The album was recorded in my tiny home studio at the time which didn’t allow us to use live drums All the drum sequences were programmed.

Originally the album was recorded in Adobe Audition but I transferred the files into Cakewalk by Bandlab and remixed everything.

Next year will be the 20th anniversary of the recording of this album and I decided to revisit the original multi tracks and replace the drum sequences with live performances. My good friend Larry Rose will be re recording all the drums for the album which will then be remixed and remastered.

The difference has been remarkable. As much as programmed drums have their uses, one just cannot beat the real thing.

The first song entitled “Taking it to Extremes” has been completed.

• Like 6

On 9/13/2022 at 4:06 PM, Kevin Perry said:

I like the interplay between the Hammond and the guitar solos.  I was expecting a little more proggy from the intro, but very pleasing to listen to and well recorded and mixed.

Thanks Kevin! I tend to save the proggy stuff for my own albums.

22 hours ago, AndyB01 said:

Particularly if you happen to have a 'Larry' at the other end of the sticks 😃

Sounding great as ever Peter - enjoyed the listen.

Andy

Thanks Andy! Yep, I wouldn't have taken on this remixing job if I didn't have Larry!

Cheers!

14 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

The only disappoint here was there is no accompanying video!
You've spoiled me 🙃.

Oh, did I mention 👍's.

I'll second that!

t

Thanks Tom! Yes, the original recordings were done on 2003/2004. I wasn't doing videos back then.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2022 at 4:37 PM, hockeyjx said:

That sounds REALLY good from an engineering perspective!

If you threw Deep Purple and Queensryche in blender musically, you may come out with something like this :)

Thanks for the comments! Interesting comparison. I'm a huge Purple fan but I've never listened to Queensryche. I think I'll go and check them out.

2 hours ago, PJH said:

Thanks for the comments! Interesting comparison. I'm a huge Purple fan but I've never listened to Queensryche. I think I'll go and check them out.

I'm thinking of the main riff in the song Empire particularly. Maybe it is just me, but a great brand to be compared to. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2022 at 12:34 AM, hockeyjx said:

I'm thinking of the main riff in the song Empire particularly. Maybe it is just me, but a great brand to be compared to. 

I've had a listen and can definitely hear the resemblance. 

Thanks for the link!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2022 at 1:25 PM, Wookiee said:

Sounds Ok here mix comes across nice a clean. Is this a rock classic. ;) 

On 10/3/2022 at 4:30 PM, Bajan Blue said:

Hi

this sounds great I think - mix is very good, playing exceptional and a good song

I also like the interplay between guitars and organ

Cool stuff

Nigel

Thanks guys! 

Wookie, I wish it was a rock classic!😂

The album revamp is coming along nicely. Only a few songs to go.

• Haha 1