SOLVED: Bug with nudge

Will.

If you can reproduce this - share your thoughts. 

Record an audio track. This doesnt matter what it is - as long as its audio clips. You can even use a sample (track.)

Next: jump to the beginning/start and for visual purpose only - change your snap to a 128th note. Then  zoom until you see about 4/5 grid lines. 

Lastly: Hit number 3 on the numpad to nudge to the right - which it will do, but wont nudge all the way back again when pressing 1. 

Can anyone reproduce this? 

Edited by Will.

1. What are your "Nudge 1" settings in preferences?
2. What is your audio clip's time base?

If you open the clip inspector, and look at the start time, it should move by the same, but opposite amount when using 1 & 3 on the keypad.  As long as it's doing this, there's nothing wrong with nudge. 

Also, bear in mind that if you've got "Nudge 1" set to follow snap settings, then landmarks could also come into play. This might explain why they're different.

33 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

1. What are your "Nudge 1" settings in preferences?

Its the default settings. I have never changed this before - ever! Lol. 

33 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

2. What is your audio clip's time base?

I need to check this, it was something I had recorded myself. 

But . . . It was doing it with a few different samples too. I made sure to triple check before reporting it. I'll have to grab the laptop quick - i'm in logic right now. 

Gimme me few seconds quick. 

EDIT:

@msmcleod Time base set to musical and Original time 00:00:00:00

Ahhh!  In preference

Nudge 1: is on absolute 10 milliseconds

Nudge 3: in 2 Frames.  Both Absolute time on default settings. 

Changed 1 to follow Nudge 3 as well. Thought it was the same. 

Problem Solved. 

Edited by Will.
  • Like 1

There are three indepedent nudge amount settings; numkeys 1,3 nudge left and right by the Nudge 1 amount; numkeys 4,6 do the same for the Nudge 2 amount, and numkeys 7,9 for the Nudge 3 amount.  The setting of Nudge 3 amount should have no bearing on the behavior of numkeys 1 and 3 unless the default shortcuts have been changed.

Need more details on the setup for your secondary question. I've never encountered an issue with left/right nudges not offsetting each other as expected.

3 minutes ago, David Baay said:

Need more details on the setup for your secondary question. I've never encountered an issue with left/right nudges not offsetting each other as expected.

👇

54 minutes ago, Will. said:

Its the default settings. I have never changed this before.

👆 Cant do better than that statement. 

24 minutes ago, Will. said:

why the nudge are slightly off by a few .0 milliseconds in its jump

Oh, no, here we go again...

I meant the project setup and actions that produce "nudge are slightly off by a few .0 milliseconds in its jump".

BTW, I just did a quick test, and did find it's not possible to nudge back to time zero, specifically, after nudging later from there. This actually rings a slight bell as having been reported previously. I'd have to search. Works as expected anywhere else in the timeline.

14 minutes ago, David Baay said:

Oh, no, here we go again...

You really cant read with comprehension can you? 

42 minutes ago, Will. said:

give a little more insight 

You need to recognise keywords and key phrases and stop misinterpret tones within the message. 

14 minutes ago, David Baay said:

BTW, I just did a quick test, and did find it's not possible to nudge back to time zero, specifically, after nudging later from there. This actually rings a slight bell as having been reported previously. I'd have to search. Works as expected anywhere else in the timeline.

Good for you! Well-done! 

NOTE: The word "Musical" has a meaning. Knowing this bring knowledge and it helps to keep every tweak one does "Musical" in all its existance - and it is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!

Edited by Will.
  • Confused 1
  • Meh 1

I've managed to reproduce the issue when the clip is close to zero, and you move 10ms right then attempt to move 10ms left.

It's now fixed for the next release.

The issue was that because the clip is in musical time, but the nudge is in absolute time, it has to temporarily convert the clip start time to seconds to check it can move to the left. However, the start time is coming back as a clip start of 0.0099999999 seconds rather than 0.010 seconds.  As it thinks this would result in moving to a time less than zero, it abandons the operation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

I've managed to reproduce the issue when the clip is close to zero, and you move 10ms right then attempt to move 10ms left.

It's now fixed for the next release.

You're the best! 👍 Thanks a million. 

10 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

the start time is coming back as a clip start of 0.0099999999 seconds rather than 0.010 seconds.  As it thinks this would result in moving to a time less than zero

Ah! Great insight knowledge to have and to apply on other areas such as with effect too. There are certain brand name delay and doubler plugins that has a similiar problem, but in a reversed/opposite sense. 

Normally most delay effect will have a differnce of 0.1sec on their time start from the original source, but then theres the once that start exactly dead on the time (0.0sec) as the source clip. So this is really great ammo to have on these timebase effects - especially in use within a combination of modulators and delay effects on certain short audio sources such as a hat, stick, rimshot, snap, clap etc. 

Thanks a lot. 

16 hours ago, Will. said:

You really cant read with comprehension can you? 

You need to recognise keywords and key phrases and stop misinterpret tones within the message. 

ROTFLMAO! Check my forum history, both here and on the old forum, and ask anyone who's been around here for a while about my ability to tease meaning from inadequate problem descriptions and solve problems.

Also note that Mark acknowledged and fixed this issue only after I clarified how to reproduce it.

In any case, you needn't worry yourself about my compreshension as I won't be reading or responding to any more of your posts.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 2

2 hours ago, David Baay said:

I won't be reading or responding to any more of your posts.

Finally! God is good, he exist indeed. Every answer you've attempted to give me has been incorrect anyhow. 

So, I do not see how this will affect me.

Edited by Will.
  • Sad 2
  • Meh 2

Will, may I ask how old you are?

I gave you a thumbs down on that post because you insulted someone who is very knowledgeable and helpful in this community. And I notice you've now looked for my other threads where I've been helpful to other members and given me thumbs down in retaliation. Really?

You really come across as a petulant teenager whenever anyone has a differing opinion to you or you misunderstand what they say and write a condescending series of replies to them.

Please take a good look at your attitude, matey. You're eventually going to run out of people who reply to your posts 

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1
  • Meh 1