Digital Sound Factory E-MU Proteus Rack - Kontakt

Heath Row

The Next Generation of Proteus

Proteus 2000, Mo’ Phatt, Virtuoso, Xtreme Lead-1, Planet Earth, & Vintage Pro

Virtual Instrument

Native Instruments Player and NKS compatibility

image.png.42f7110a2562b5ef49b8bcb4441edb4c.png

The Proteus Rack Library was produced by the original E-MU sound and graphic designers. Starting with the original hardware sound samples, instruments are
mapped and programmed to match the hardware sound modules. The powerful script programming integrates the hardware functionality to the software for the
same great look and feel of the sound modules. Proteus Rack Library is compatible with all Mac and PC Digital Audio Workstations.

This new sound library is not an update to the original Proteus Pack. The sound module synthesizers have been built from the ground up.  Now designed for Native Instruments free Kontakt Player, the full version of Kontakt, Komplete, and Maschine. The instruments are seamlessly integrated and can be controlled by all NKS hardware.

Includes Proteus 2000, Mo’ Phatt, Virtuoso, Xtreme Lead-1, Planet Earth, and Vintage Pro with over 3,500 legacy sounds that will expand your imagination.

“As an early adopter and heavy user of the Proteus 2000, I’m shocked at how sonically accurate Digital Sound Factory’s Proteus Pack is. Its seamless integration into NI’s Komplete Kontrol allows for swift creative action. Big thanks to the Digital Sound Factory team.”  – Brian Hardgroove (Public Enemy, Fine Arts Militia & Bootsy Collins)

“The E-MU Proteus Rack sounds are so classic, they really give your track a vibe. Its not that they sound hyper realistic, like a lot of the modern sample libraries which can wind up feeling kind of lifeless and sterile. Its exactly because they are not so realistic that they start to feel more intentional, more of a stylistic move. A lot of the sounds you’ve heard in tracks from the 80’s and 90’s which have an instant nostalgic feeling. So cool, its quickly become a go to in my production, right alongside my analog synths and vintage gear.” – Mad Zach

Features

– Designed for free Kontakt Player, full version of Kontakt, Komplete, Maschine, & NKS hardware
– Dynamic graphic interface allowing hardware like functionality
– Module programs grouped, ordered, and tagged to match the hardware
– 3 Effects Busses with control of parameters
– 32 Step Programmable Arpeggiator
– Solo/Mono Mode with Legato & Glide Control
– Komplete Kontrol Previews
– Compatible with all NKS hardware controllers

$99

https://www.digitalsoundfactory.com/product/e-mu-proteus-rack/

Designed for free Kontakt Player, full version of Kontakt, Komplete, Maschine, & NKS hardware

Might be nice if I could use all my E-Mu patches in the free Kontakt Player now that Emulator X3 can no longer be authenticated.

Also, does anyone know how Kontakt compares with Emulator X3?  Maybe if I sell all my hardware and Sample CDs I could afford Kontakt and a computer powerful enough to run it.  Emulator is tremendously efficient (low CPU usage) but I cannot authorize it on a new computer.

Edited by User 905133
to add a second question
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, User 905133 said:

Also, does anyone know how Kontakt compares with Emulator X3?  Maybe if I sell all my hardware and Sample CDs I could afford Kontakt and a computer powerful enough to run it. 

This library is Kontakt Player compatible, so no problem affording Kontakt Player (free)!

Kontakt is a sample player, so in my experience generally not heavy on the CPU. But you may want at least 16GB RAM if you are using sample libraries. Compared to sample players, virtual synths that emulate hardware are much heavier on the CPU.

Edited by abacab

14 minutes ago, Fleer said:

Still got a Vintage Proteus module waiting for an unboxing. Higher time for sure. 

New?  In new condition??  Vintage Pro???  Have you seen, someone is making new sound roms for the P2K/CS line.  I believe the prices are better than all those price gougers at a famous on-line marketplace. 

Edited by User 905133
  • Like 1

I don't believe this Kontakt instruments have the Z-Plane Filters, the modulation matrix or other features of the HW units implemented.

I have 3 EMU boxes and don't intend to part with any one of them 🙂

Edited by Sergio
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Sergio said:

I don't believe this Kontakt instruments have the Z-Plane Filters, the modulation matrix or other features of the HW units implemented.

These are just samples. Kontakt doesn't actually support those hardware features, just a scripted experience to simulate the original.

– Dynamic graphic interface allowing hardware like functionality
– Module programs grouped, ordered, and tagged to match the hardware
– 3 Effects Busses with control of parameters
– 32 Step Programmable Arpeggiator
– Solo/Mono Mode with Legato & Glide Control
– Komplete Kontrol Previews
– Compatible with all NKS hardware controllers

11 hours ago, Sergio said:

I have 3 EMU boxes and don't intend to part with any one of them 🙂  

39 minutes ago, abacab said:

These are just samples. Kontakt doesn't actually support those hardware features, just a scripted experience to simulate the original.

– Dynamic graphic interface allowing hardware like functionality [etc.]

Perfect timing.  I was just looking at the Kontakt Player manual and choosing either Player or Komplete Start (which includes the player).  Considering that my workflow is so ingrained with the E-Mu experience (hardware more so, software to a lesser extent) it seems like I would be frustrated trying to use Kontakt as a substitute. I have experience with the hardware and E-Mu sysex and can often find ways of doing things beyond the conventional.

In fact, I recently put my Proteus 2500 (16 fully assignable knobs + 16 assignable trigger buttons + sequencer etc.) back into service as a hardware controller for Voltage Modular.  I have other options for using Emulator X3 on an older PC (if the authorization hasn't disappeared) as well as hardware.    

Again, thanks for the comments. 

For people who are already into the Kontakt ecosystem, the DSF bundle sounds like an excellent deal.  They have solid credentials!  BTW, a few months ago, I saw the re-invented in-brands/AIR Music Technology was also offering DSF sounds.  Just mentioning that to show new things have been happening with DSF. Not recommending AIR over Kontakt at all. 

Edited by User 905133
"beyond the conventional" added for the sake of clarity
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

I was just looking at the Kontakt Player manual and choosing either Player or Komplete Start (which includes the player).  Considering that my workflow is so ingrained with the E-Mu experience (hardware more so, software to a lesser extent) it seems like I would be frustrated trying to use Kontakt as a substitute.

I believe that you have IK Syntronik, right?

That and Kontakt sample libraries of vintage synth hardware would be somewhat similar experiences, but Kontakt may be even less so than Syntronik in that regard. At least Syntronik has modeled filters that you can manipulate. Kontakt is a generalist that accommodates a wider array of content, more like SampleTank in that regard.

But Kontakt is probably the most widely used sample library player in existence, so I would recommend at least adding the Kontakt Player and/or Komplete Start to your collection! All of the NI issued Kontakt libraries are Player compatible. You just need to look for "Made for Kontakt Player" on any 3rd party libraries.

Edited by abacab

This made me remember that I don't remember what I have.  I've always wanted to pick this up, because I had the X3 and some packs for it from them.  I'm about to sell a bunch of my stuff, but I'm going to try and make libraries first using my Maschine.   I hope I didn't miss the deal.

• 5 months later...
11 hours ago, Kevin Johnston said:

Just curious - is this e-Mu library for Kontakt - the same that was available for Dimension LE? - 

Likely the same or similar samples, just packaged in a different sampler file format for Kontakt. Dimension uses the SFZ (.sfz) file format, where Kontakt uses a Native Instruments proprietary file format.

https://sfzformat.com/

KONTAKT File Formats

https://native-instruments.com/ni-tech-manuals/kontakt-manual/en/file-formats

• NKI, KONTAKT Instrument
  • NKM,  KONTAKT Multi
  • NKB,  KONTAKT Instrument Bank
  • NKP , KONTAKT Preset
  • NKR, KONTAKT Resource File
  • NCW, KONTAKT Lossless Compression Audio File
  • NKX, KONTAKT Monolith
  • NKC, KONTAKT Cache File

14 hours ago, Kevin Johnston said:

Just curious - is this e-Mu library for Kontakt - the same that was available for Dimension LE? - 

It really looks like the samples are the same, with a prettier scripted front end and NKS integration.  

I can't say the Dimension version was among my most used libraries, so I'm not going to be in at $99.   If you like the sounds and don't have the older Cakewalk version (which doesn't seem to be available any more) and can't wait until BF, it might make sense.