Watchtower (Hendrix cover) (Warmer Remix)

mark skinner

I thought I'd try an easy Hendrix song while waiting on inspiration for an original. It turned out to be a Lot more of a challenge than I had anticipated. I adlibbed the leads but tried to hit some of the high points. Any advice on the mix would be Greatly appreciated. 

Thank You ..  mark               This is a REMIX      Thanks for your help !       mark               

Edited by mark skinner
Remix
  • Like 8

Some truly fantastic playing there, Mark. It sounds good to me.

If I were to really nit-pick, I might say that the drums are just a tad quiet: the hats and percussion are coming through clearly, but the kick and snare are a little quiet. I don't know if you're going for a classic vibe mix-wise; if not, maybe experiment with a touch more reverb on the snares.

Nothing wrong with how it is though: I enjoyed the listen; thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

@User 905133 Thanks for the like and the comments. I would have kept it closer to the original , if I could have played the notes. Being mainly an acoustic player if haven't spent enough time with electric leads and especially deep note bending. @antler I appreciate the comment and suggestions. I got the same feeling about the drums after running it thru Ozone but , being so close to the mix I was unsure of myself. That's why I Really need more ears on a mix. Thanks. @Old Joad I Really appreciate that. I have always been a Richie Havens fan and that's pretty much how I did the song playing in an acoustic trio.  @DeeringAmps Thanks' I always value your opinion. I'll revisit my volume automation. There are few spots I also think could use some boosting and a little more impact.   Thanks guys ..     mark

• Like 1

This is one of my all time favorite songs, and your version is a damn good tribute to two of my favorite artists.  When it's all said and done, your vocal carries this tune very well.  Maybe a few tweaks here and there may improve the song a bit, but you've already carried most of the load.

• Like 1

Hey Mark . . . just thoroughly enjoyed listening to this cover track ! I've had some close listens in a few different environments and it really translates well, the kick level is bang on to my ears, now don't you mess with it too much. ?

As per usual, some really amazing guitar playing, and you've brought it all out in this one with slides and wahs, electro, acoustic, super vocals as well . . . just jumps out of the speakers, and my neighbors also gave it the thumbs up as I may have cranked it a bit loud this afternoon :)excellent stuff !

• Like 1

@Dream Art Scientists @Lynn Wilson @Riff Richards @noynekker , Thanks so much for the listen and Great comments! @Wookiee @jwnicholson78 I've done a remix but waiting until I'm really sure of it before posting. The kick , snare and drum bus eq were adjusted. I think it sounds a lot better. @Old Joad @Bajan Blue The rough Havens like vocals were the result of singing the song over a couple of days starting each session at 4:30 am. I spent a good bit of time during the remix trying to bring up the trailing end of words and passages. @garybrun once suggested I ride the vocal fader during mixing to bring up the tails where I usually loose power . It was real apparent on this one. Thanks to Everyone ! I'll post a remix soon.   mark

• Like 3

Hi Mark . . . listening to you're latest mix, and just going from my brain and ear memory a few days back . . . did we sacrifice warmth for clarity in this latest mix ?

I'm hearing the overall effect of the new mix is EQ'd thinner, and yes those guitar parts and the vocal pronunciation are clearer as a result, but the overall warmth is affected ? I'll have a listen on a few different systems, and get back to you with what I'm hearing here.

• Like 1

Hi Bruce , Thanks for getting back. I did take a wide low mid band suggestion from Ozone and transferred it to the mix instead. I may have missed the boost on it a little but I don't think so , I'll have to check. I wrote down all the EQ settings before remixing. Other than that I did boost the volume slightly on a far left "high strung" acoustic that I used instead of a 12 string. Other than that lows were boosted on the drum bus. I believe if there's a warmth problem It'll be an easy fix.  Every move effects something else ..        I'll keep digging.      EDIT :  @noynekker I'm editing this without bumping it up. I found a 0.5  8k HS boost that wasn't in the last mix. It was enough to thin it out especially near the fade out using the wah and bridge pickup. I'll repost it later, cable co. is coming to rework cable lines on my street. Nice catch , your attention to detail is Amazing ! Thanks ..  mark

Edited by mark skinner