Can't Adjust Kontakt Instrument Volume

Sub to Lambfire

Today I was working on a song when I thought one of my tracks broke. Turns out, I somehow turned the instrument all the way down in Kontakt without going into Kontakt and it appears to be locked at the very low volume. My other Kontakt instrument is also locked. I can adjust it while playing, but when I pause or stop it resets. Is this a Cakewalk feature or a Kontakt bug? Any fixes? (Video for reference)

Preferences > Project > Midi > 

Other Options

• Zero Controllers When Play Stops. 

Zero Controllers When Play Stops. If you choose this option, Cakewalk sets the controller values of the pitch wheel, the sustain pedal, and the modulation wheel on all 16 MIDI channels to zero. It also sends a “zero all continuous controllers” MIDI message which turns off other continuous controllers on newer synthesizers. If you experience frequent stuck notes when playback stops, try checking this option.

Project - MIDI

• Great Idea 1

On 9/10/2022 at 12:11 AM, Sub to Lambfire said:

Today I was working on a song when I thought one of my tracks broke. Turns out, I somehow turned the instrument all the way down in Kontakt without going into Kontakt and it appears to be locked at the very low volume. My other Kontakt instrument is also locked. I can adjust it while playing, but when I pause or stop it resets. Is this a Cakewalk feature or a Kontakt bug? Any fixes? (Video for reference)

Try deleting\cleaning the automation lane. ;)

• Like 1

When this happens to me it is usually a download midi file that has extra stuff hidden that I’ve never figured out how you get at it in Cakewalk. A few things that work: 

Slip edit or use split/ delete  up to the very first note in the track.  If anything was hidden it will be in that first measure. 

Or I insert a new instance of the instrument as a simple instrument track and drag the midi data there. If it was a multi channel instrument I drag the midi data to fresh midi tracks. 

The hidden midi data issue has gone way , way back for me and I’d often open the files in other sequencers where it would be visible.  Once I figured out those 2 tricks I’ve not had any problems cleaning up the data this way. 

I just figured this out today and the other place to look is the Sysex view. 

Screenshot (453).png

Edited by Cactus Music
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cactus Music said:

The hidden midi data issue has gone way , way back for me and I’d often open the files in other sequencers where it would be visible.  Once I figured out those 2 tricks I’ve not had any problems cleaning up the data this way. 

It seems that Cakewalk sometimes translates certain imported MIDI data into Cakewalk project attributes that are not visible in the MIDI event viewer.  I think @scook shed some light on this a while back, but I don't recall where.

38 minutes ago, scook said:

Look at GeneralMidiSMFs in TTSSEQ.ini

Good info but not a place I belong!  It's good to know what Cakewalk has been set up to do under the hood but I'm a musician, not a coder. 

Now I've found the Sysex view I've solved a few other mysteries.  I opened 2 misbehaving projects and sure enough there was that GS reset line. Delete it and all issues including the delayed transport are gone. This might be the OP's problem if they somehow used second hand midi data. 

Theres a setting in Kontakt you might want to check too. I have had to uncheck this box as described below in addition to changing the zero controllers setting in cakewalk. Here is the info from the NI site-

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003479549-KONTAKT-s-Volume-Resets-When-I-Press-Play-in-my-DAW

KONTAKT's Volume Resets When I Press Play in my DAW

Symptom - KONTAKT's Instrument volume is reset when you press play or stop in your DAW.

Cause - Some DAW's are configured to send MIDI commands CC7 and CC10 when you press play or stop. KONTAKT can be configured to respond to these standardized commands to reset the loaded Instrument's volume.

Solution

Follow these steps to prevent KONTAKT from reacting your DAW's play / stop commands:

Load an instance of KONTAKT in your DAW.

Load an Instrument to KONTAKT's Rack.

Press the wrench button on the upper left side of your KONTAKT Instrument.

Click Instruments Options.

In the Controller tab, disable the option Accept Standard Controllers for Volume and Pan.

You can alternatively configure your DAW not to send the standard MIDI commands CC7 and CC10 when pressing play or pause. To learn how to do so, please consult your DAW's documentation.

• Thanks 4