Softube FET Compressor for $19

Frank

21 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

I don't have much experience with compressors, but this sounds really good in the video examples and I've found Softube makes excellent plug-ins. I'd love to get the thoughts of those  more experienced at mixing. 

That they do, and this is no exception. Just close your eyes and hit 'Buy Now', you wont regret it . . . well you might IDK, I didn't.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

Does this come with the pro channel version of purchased above?

https://www.cakewalk.com/Products/Softube-Mix-Bundle/FET-Compressor

Don't think so, I can't recall it as so, but it was a long time ago when I installed. I just run the installer on my lap top without taking the last step, and there is no option for it.

25 minutes ago, heath row said:

That they do, and this is no exception. Just close your eyes and hit 'Buy Now', you wont regret it . . . well you might IDK, I didn't.

I PMed a musician friend who is pretty knowledgeable on mixing after I made the post and he recommended I pick this up. But your post, especially with the humor,  gave me a laugh and was enough to persuade me. I've really liked the Softube plugins I own and they have great sales and no WUP! :)

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1

That's a great price for a great plugin.
I already have several nice versions (PSP, Arturia, Waves) - just debating if I need yet another.

Here's some good info, if you're curious, on various 1176 VSTs models.
Top 11 Best FET Compressor Emulation Plugins For Your DAW
For example if you're checking to see which ones have a lookahead feature (answer: Softube & Arturia)
or if you're can't remember/are trying to figure out how many FET clones you already own..,

Edited by TheSteven
  • Thanks 4

18 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

That's a great price for a great plugin.
I already have several nice versions (PSP, Arturia, Waves) - just debating if I need yet another.

How many FET clones do you already own?
In case you're forgetting a couple - this might help you remember, also some good info if you're curious.
Top 11 Best FET Compressor Emulation Plugins For Your DAW

Thanks for the link.  Turns out I have four: IK Multimedia Black 76, Pulsar Audio Smasher (I had forgotten to install it on my latest computer, but now installed), Native Instruments VC 76 (in GR6), and Plugin Alliance Lindell 7X-500.  I should probably learn how to use what I have (since I can't yet tell the difference).

Now, I know what compressors do and basically how to use them (from live audio), but I don't know when to use this vs. other types of compressors.  Any pointers on that?

This is also a good entry point into getting a discount on Softube Volume 5 (or 6 when released) as the upgrade price is only based on your single most expensive Softube plugin you have from the bundle already.

So if you only have the cheap ones and ever plan on upgrading, that might make it and even better option.

2 minutes ago, ALC said:

Thanks for the link.  Turns out I have four: IK Multimedia Black 76, Pulsar Audio Smasher (I had forgotten to install it on my latest computer, but now installed), Native Instruments VC 76 (in GR6), and Plugin Alliance Lindell 7X-500.  I should probably learn how to use what I have (since I can't yet tell the difference).

Now, I know what compressors do and basically how to use them (from live audio), but I don't know when to use this vs. other types of compressors.  Any pointers on that?

There are some great guides out there on the different types. If someone doesn't link one, then when I'm free later I'll see if I can add a useful one.

For this and FET compressors in general I like them for drums and drum busses most. FET compressors can be snappy and aggressive which often works well for drums. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MusicMan said:

There are some great guides out there on the different types. If someone doesn't link one, then when I'm free later I'll see if I can add a useful one.

For this and FET compressors in general I like them for drums and drum busses most. FET compressors can be snappy and aggressive which often works well for drums. 

Good on vocals too, especially in combination with an LA-2A type compressor.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, scook said:

Yes, the VST2 dll pulls double duty as a regular VST and PC module just like the Cakewalk CA-2A. And just like the CA-2A the plug-in UI depends on where the plug-in is instantiated.

C:\Audio\VST64\64Main\Cakewalk is my default Cakewalk plugin folder for 64bit VSTs

I placed the 64bit VST, "FET Compressor.dll", in
C:\Audio\VST64\64Main\Cakewalk\FET Compressor
(see previous sentence)
and now I have the Softube FET Compressor in Pro Channel!

image.png.dd1e965065455604d8f46fbe66a1c6de.png

Thanks @scook for the tip!

Note: that the ProChannel version only has access to the shown controls (i.e. the 5 knobs).

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, LAGinz said:

Good on vocals too, especially in combination with an LA-2A type compressor.

I think it might have been you that shared that tip before. I gave it a shot and the combo worked quite well. I need to remember to try that on some more tracks in future 🙂

I thought I’d never buy another effect plugin again, but of course I couldn’t resist FET Compressor at this price, as it will make a nice addition to my ProChannel. Let’s hope that Softube in the future will have a similar 90 % discount for the remaining four ProChannel effects that once was part of the now defunct Softube Mix Bundle.

When it was still available I think the regular price for the whole bundle was $299 and never got below $179 during sales. You can currently buy the TSAR-1R reverb for $39 and the three EQ’s in the Passive-Active pack for $149. A 90 % discount would make them pretty irresistible for anyone suffering from PC-OCD (like me).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One day I was thinking about getting 1176 emulator or FET compressor. So I was checking YouTube comparison videos and I found PSP FET compressor sounded great and thought it's fairly clean and probably one of the best. Then after demoing it, I felt it's actually indeed a good compressor so I bought that. But after a while, I felt maybe real hardware has more color, rather than being clean, so I thought I should get another 1176 emu. And I thought the purple comp from PA was probably one of the best so I got that.

Now, this forum is saying softube FET comp is having a deal and it comes with pro channel version.  I usually don't use pro channels but pro channel is cool. Now I want this one...

Maybe I will be using pro channel and making actual music. Yeah definitely I will.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/9/2022 at 12:51 AM, ALC said:

• FET for aggressive/crunchy (e.g. drums)
  • Optical for smooth (e.g. vocals)
  • Vari-mu for smooth/glue (e.g. busses)
  • VCA (i.e. the type that your DAW's stock compressor probably is) for general purpose/cleaner compression
Edited by antler
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2