OOPS! I created a Take Lane - Feature Request

LittleStudios

Maybe this already exists.  I can't be the only person who has accidentally clicked the Take Lanes on button in the Track View.  The part that sucks is if you delete the take lane you delete any clips on that lane.  Also turning of the Take Lanes the same way you turned them on doesn't get rid of the Take Lanes, it just tucks them away.  If there isn't a way, can we please make adding take lanes and undo-able action.  In my opinion every action should be undo-able... not the case in Cakewalk.

Take lanes are an integral part of the track. If there's a clip, there's a take lane, hidden or visible. (see post below)

The "On/Off button simply shows or hides existing lanes - not make or remove them. (see post below)

If you made an empty Take Lane by clicking the "+" button, just click the "x" button to remove it.

Edit: Redacted false statements

Edited by sjoens
  • Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

It's not empty.  Typically there's a clip on the track and I'll accidentally hit the Take Lane button.  Maybe it's just OCD, but from that point on that button remains lit.  If take lanes are always there even if there's just one clip on the track, that's fine... just wish the take lane button would turn off.

I see what the OP is getting at now. If you create  a MIDI clip by drawing in the PRV, the take lane button remains in the 'no lanes' state until you expand it once, and then there's no way to get back to the orginal state while keeping the clip,

I would say it's actually unexpected and inconsistent that creating a clip by drawing does not 'activate' the take lane button like recording, drag-and-drop, copy-paste, etc, do. The correct behavior would be for the button to be activated whenever there's any content in the track, no matter how it's created

• Great Idea 1

If there is an existing clip on the Track the Take Lane icon should be seen at the semi-lit state when the Take Lanes are collapsed. 

Creating a clip without the Record command seems not obeying this rule.

6 hours ago, LittleStudios said:

just wish the take lane button would turn off.

To get rid of semi-lit states of the Take Lane icon simply change the Show/Hide Take Lanes image from the Cakewalk Theme Editor. (Preferences/Themes/Edit)

You can replace it with this image for to remove semi-lit Take Lane icon for the Tungsten Theme:

rrpjzkoc.png.30e89cf86e80fab220a0befd5b268eec.png

Edited by murat k.

On 9/9/2022 at 5:35 AM, LittleStudios said:

It's not empty.  Typically there's a clip on the track and I'll accidentally hit the Take Lane button.  

It is not an actual clip. It only creates, a "guide" to draw your automation on in the lane area if you prefer to draw automation in the Lane. One is the "Automation" lane | and | the other one "Take" lanes. If you delete this clip you delete the actual one. It does not create a duplicate track. 

Edited by Will.

I did some testing and it's odd.  So if a clip is dragged into the project and new track is created the Take Lane button is off, great.   On the other hand if a en empty audio track exists and you drag and drop an audio file (clip) onto this track it lights up the Take Lane button, strange.  I'm just looking for consistency. If Take Lanes always exist even if there's one clip, that's cool and I have no issue.  The button behavior should be, in my opinion, OFF when hiding Take Lanes and ON when showing Take Lanes, simple.

This first image shows what it looks like if you drop some audio into an empty project.  You can see the button is off. Not showing Take Lanes, this makes sense.

64945846_Image1.thumb.jpg.45960f21b290cf1a4829e9e05145cde8.jpg

This next image makes sense as well, the button is lit up because we are showing the Take Lanes, even if it is just one.

2048508205_Image2.jpg.30b78882203d968f604fc5488def2fcd.jpg

In this third image is where it bugs me, if I'm now hiding my Take Lanes, shouldn't the button be off?  How is this state different from the first image if Take Lanes always exist whether or not you show them, as in there's always at least one lane for a track.  I get that the button isn't completely lit, that's not my point.  I'm looking for consistency.  If I'm now hiding my Take Lanes, this button should be off.  Is it dimly lit up because it's indicating that since Take Lanes were shown, and now there's a possibility for more Take Lanes to exist as the user could have added more?  If so, I suggest only using the dim lit button in instances when there ARE more than one Take Lanes.

106785048_Image3.jpg.d3ee4ea338f35ad724c57f89292682d9.jpg

Just my opinion.

28 minutes ago, LittleStudios said:

106785048_Image3.jpg.d3ee4ea338f35ad724c57f89292682d9.jpg

It is an indicator for there is a clip on the track. Means there is an existing Take Lane. But

3 hours ago, murat k. said:

If you don't want to see semi-lit anymore just:

To get rid of semi-lit states of the Take Lane icon simply change the Show/Hide Take Lanes image from the Cakewalk Theme Editor. (Preferences/Themes/Edit)

You can replace it with this image for to remove semi-lit Take Lane icon for the Tungsten Theme:

"There is nothing wrong with your TV. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling the transmi..."

Theme Editor allows you to customize your Cakewalk so you only see what you want.

7 hours ago, LittleStudios said:

So if a clip is dragged into the project and new track is created the Take Lane button is off, great.

Could be an oversite on CbB's part as any clip should invoke the dimly-lit, partially-lit, semi-lit, but not fully-lit, button, when TLs are closed. But then a "take" is recorded, so behavior may be intended.

7 hours ago, LittleStudios said:

I suggest only using the dim lit button in instances when there ARE more than one Take Lanes.

I think a # on the button would be way more cool, so at glance we know how many lanes there are. 

Edited by sjoens

11 hours ago, sjoens said:

"There is nothing wrong with your TV. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling the transmi..."

Theme Editor allows you to customize your Cakewalk so you only see what you want.

On 9/9/2022 at 6:35 AM, LittleStudios said:

just wish the take lane button would turn off.

18 hours ago, LittleStudios said:

In this third image is where it bugs me, if I'm now hiding my Take Lanes, shouldn't the button be off? 

17 hours ago, murat k. said:

It is an indicator for there is a clip on the track. Means there is an existing Take Lane.

18 hours ago, murat k. said:

If you don't want to see semi-lit anymore just:

22 hours ago, murat k. said:

The problem is that button is not changing it's state everytime as it supposed to be. Because

21 hours ago, murat k. said:

Means:
If you drag a clip on to the project 
or create notes on PRV or Staff View,
or even you create an event with the Event List,
that button do not change it's state.

But if you drag a clip to another track, Take Lane button of the dragged Track becomes that dim lit state.

That button should be at dim lit state all the time when there is a clip on the track. That makes the confusion.

2 hours ago, chuckebaby said:

Can't you collapse the lane then use "Delete special" to just delete the lane info ?

Yes, but the button will remain dimly-lit. OP wants button to go OFF when lane is collapsed with or without clips, but that's not intended behavior.

14 hours ago, murat k. said:

If you drag a clip on to the project 
or create notes on PRV or Staff View,
or even you create an event with the Event List,
that button do not change it's state.

But if you drag a clip to another track, Take Lane button of the dragged Track becomes that dim lit state.

That button should be at dim lit state all the time when there is a clip on the track. That makes the confusion.

Agreed. Behavior indicates that a Take Lane is not "officially" created until a "take" is recorded or the button is activated.

Dragging a clip to create a new track or entering notes in PRV aren't "takes" so the button remains OFF because no Take Lane was created. This can be confusing because if another clip is dragged into the new track the button becomes dimly-lit. Even more confusing is they will both be on one Take Lane if they overlap. According to documentation, they should be on separate lanes.

A dimly-lit state merely indicates a Take Lane exists on the track. It does not indicate the presence of a clip or how many lanes there are.

I like the idea of using a numbered state to show how many lanes exist.

takelanebutton.png.2a80cdb1e28d7e95a7edf76426b39c3e.png

Edited by sjoens

4 hours ago, sjoens said:

entering notes in PRV aren't "takes"

No. Anything you enter is a take. You don't have to use record button for that. This can be correct if a take lane was created only after when you record. But any event you enter creates a Take Lane. 

4 hours ago, sjoens said:

This can be confusing because if another clip is dragged into the new track the button becomes dimly-lit. Even more confusing is they will both be on one Take Lane if they overlap. According to documentation, they should be on separate lanes.

The documentation is correct. When the clips overlap each other, a Take Lane is creating. It happened because you tried it when the Take Lanes are expanded. When they are expanded you are directly moving a clip to a Take Lane. So DAW thinks that you are making this move intentionally.

5 hours ago, sjoens said:

I like the idea of using a numbered state to show how many lanes exist.

takelanebutton.png.2a80cdb1e28d7e95a7edf76426b39c3e.png

Yeah it can be but with small numbers over the Take Lane icon. Not this way.

No. Anything you enter is a take. ... But any event you enter creates a Take Lane. 

According to documentation, only when the button is dimly-lit is there a Take Lane. The moment you press the button, one is created and becomes dimly-lit. like me So either CbB is oblivious to the insertion of events other than recording and won't create a T/L until you press the button...

Or it thinks there is no need for one until you press the button. Either way, the T/L button is OFF indicating no Take Lane is present.

It would be nice if they make it so any data input creates a Take Lane - with dimly-lit button.

To me, Edits (non-recorded adjustments) & Takes (recordings) are 2 different things.

1. "A take is a single continuous recorded performance." "In music recording, a take similarly refers to successive attempts to record a song or part. Musical takes are also sequentially numbered."
2. PRV & Staff View are "editors". Anything manually entered into them is an "edit", even if starting from scratch.
  Takes can be entered into them by recording, but manual insertion, note by note, is an "edit". To me this is why the button remains OFF.

Why, copy&paste-ing a clip will create a Take Lane but dragging one won't until the button is pressed is confusing.

The documentation is correct. When the clips overlap each other, a Take Lane is creating. It happened because you tried it when the Take Lanes are expanded. When they are expanded you are directly moving a clip to a Take Lane.

I.C. So an extra step to close & reopen Take Lanes is required to see the 2nd lane. :S Documentation is not so clear on this.

Even so, if a 3rd, or more, overlapping clip is dragged in, a 3rd+ lane is NOT created at all, ever. Extra step to create 3rd+ lane, and another step to drag the clip there are needed. :S So documentation is only partly correct.

This doesn't bother me so much because I normally don't drag clips around like that. :D

Edited by sjoens

2 hours ago, sjoens said:

According to documentation, only when the button is dimly-lit is there a Take Lane. The moment you press the button, one is created and becomes dimly-lit. like me So either CbB is oblivious to the insertion of events other than recording and won't create a T/L until you press the button...

Or it thinks there is no need for one until you press the button. Either way, the T/L button is OFF indicating no Take Lane is present.

On 9/9/2022 at 4:34 PM, murat k. said:

Means there is an existing Take Lane.

6 hours ago, murat k. said:

any event you enter creates a Take Lane. 

It would be nice if they make it so any data input creates a Take Lane - with dimly-lit button.

It should be. There is an issue in the software. That's why this topic is created.

I.C. So an extra step to close & reopen Take Lanes is required to see the 2nd lane. :S Documentation is not so clear on this.

Documentation is clear. Tracks and Take Lanes are different things. You are just mixing them up.

Even so, if a 3rd, or more, overlapping clip is dragged in, a 3rd+ lane is NOT created at all, ever. Extra step to create 3rd+ lane, and another step to drag the clip there are needed. :S So documentation is only partly correct.

5.gif.058af5ff0e28a4ed940326f0b2b613f4.gif

But yes. @sjoens is right in a way. There is an issue about creating a new Take Lane when overlap.

After the expand of the Take Lanes, if you collapse Take Lanes and make another overlap. No new Take Lane is creating.

Expanding the Take Lanes breaks this feature.

Edited by murat k.