R.I.P

Will.

On the news here the write up seems to be similar everywhere.

She was carried by six men in an oak casket. One report says it was an engraved oak casket.

Not meaning to sound disrespectful, but what does it matter if they had her in a wal mart box? 

I haven't been watching the TV on it. I imagine it's nice......for a funeral. If there is such a thing as a nice funeral.

On 9/12/2022 at 8:24 PM, Tim Smith said:

She was carried by six men in an oak casket. One report says it was an engraved oak casket.

Not meaning to sound disrespectful, but what does it matter if they had her in a wal mart box?

Eight men to carry it. It's lead lined, so rather heavy. Apparently it was made more than thirty years ago.

Wal Mart? This is the UK, so if not British oak then surely a Fortnum & Mason's hamper at least?

Wal Mart, indeed? ... Pah! 🙂

Edited by JohnG

3 hours ago, JohnG said:

Eight men to carry it. It's lead lined, so rather heavy. Apparently it was made more than thirty years ago.

Wal Mart? This is the UK, so if not British oak then surely a Fortnum & Mason's hamper at least?

Wal Mart, indeed? ... Pah! 🙂

This all goes back to the Pharaohs and probably before. Adding such pomp to the funerals of royals, kings, nobles and more recently celebrities. The Pharaohs probably win the cup though.

I guess we are conditioned to expect this. It is a way to pay parting respects. Death itself though doesn't care. 

I try to stay out of Wal Mart here. Not my favorite place.

9 minutes ago, Tim Smith said:

This all goes back to the Pharaohs and probably before. Adding such pomp to the funerals of royals, kings, nobles and more recently celebrities. The Pharaohs probably win the cup though.

Probably correct, Tim.

I dare say Stonehenge and similar monuments around the world witnessed ceremonies for the passing of leaders and warriors way back into pre-history.

It seems to be something the human race does.

Speaking as a colonial, I see it as something the British seem to do particularly well.

Whatever the crimes of the British political classes in the past, I do believe Liz was a woman of peace.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnG said:

Probably correct, Tim.

I dare say Stonehenge and similar monuments around the world witnessed ceremonies for the passing of leaders and warriors way back into pre-history.

It seems to be something the human race does.

Speaking as a colonial, I see it as something the British seem to do particularly well.

Whatever the crimes of the British political classes in the past, I do believe Liz was a woman of peace.

I've always thought Stonehenge was interesting, but I can see pics of it from over here. They say there are more tourists in London than Londoners, so that place isn't interesting to me because I don't like tourist places. I have a friend in Wales and maybe some day I'll go there......if I bring my rain coat and rubber boots.

The British are probably the prime example to the world for how to put on the ritz with style.

I don't even have a ritz to put on.

Edited by Tim Smith

4 minutes ago, Tim Smith said:

They say there are more tourists in London than Londoners, so that place isn't interesting to me because I don't like tourist places.

When The Lovely Lady and I were there it did not seem to be 'touristy'. Of course, I was overjoyed to meetup with SteveStrummerUK, Jonbouy and The Mermaid.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bapu said:

I was there and although it'sbig, it was just not as big as I imagined it to be. But it's certainly not Spinal Tap small either.

A bunch of large rocks standing erect in a sort of circle (ish) shape. It looked big in the pics.

We have big rocks over here too though.

16 minutes ago, Bapu said:

When The Lovely Lady and I were there it did not seem to be 'touristy'. Of course, I was overjoyed to meetup with SteveStrummerUK, Jonbouy and The Mermaid.

That must have been fun. Something seems very fishy about the mermaid. Maybe you'll go back? I hope they didn't run you off.

15 minutes ago, Bapu said:

We also enjoyed the city of Bath. Salisbury was very nice too. I'm a big fan of church architecture and England has that in spades.

🤔

5 hours ago, Tim Smith said:

They say there are more tourists in London than Londoners ...

Whoever said that is wrong by about 8 million people.

But having worked in central London for several years, I always wondered why every single tourist in London thought the best time to get the Tube is during rush hour.  And normally with a backpack that they seem completely oblivious to.

5 hours ago, Tim Smith said:

The British are probably the prime example to the world for how to put on the ritz with style.

We are also very good at queueing.

The queue to see Queenie is currently 2.4 miles long and growing.  The River Thames has turned yellow.