The Long Run-Original

Johnbee58

One of my favorite quotes is from Spanish philosopher George Santayana (1863-1952). 

“Those who fail to learn from the mistakes of their predecessors are destined to repeat them”.

This song is mostly instrumental but there are two short vocal verses towards the end that reflect my interpretation of what Mr. Santayana was saying in light of modern times.

🙂John B

https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=14482893

• Like 5

👍's John.

There's a couple of spots I'd use We've instead of We have
and I'd use We made so long ago instead of We've made...
Minor editing really.

I'm always impressed by how well you use Trilian, but sometimes
I think you get a little too "melodic" (and you know my feelings on the high bass notes).
(keep in mind I spent too many years playing over bassists who were actually guitar players playing bass 🙃)
For me, the bass is the "anchor" of a tune, and its getting in the way of the vocal melody (IMHO).
Maybe a synth voice for those times when you feel you want some melodic support of the vocal.

If I'm sitting in the producers chair, these are the things I would bring up in pre-production.
Deal breakers? No, not at all; just my rambling thoughts as I listened to the tune;
take 'em with a grain of salt.....

👏

t

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

👍's John.

There's a couple of spots I'd use We've instead of We have
and I'd use We made so long ago instead of We've made...

👏

t

Thanks Tom.  Syllables for the melody.   I needed 2.  "We have" uses 2.  "We've" only uses 1.  If this is grammatically wrong I guess I'll just have to claim literary license.  You have a point with the "We made so long ago".  I may go back and change that. 

Edited by Johnbee58
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Joad said:

'We're not beyond such acceptance of change

We may regret this in the long run."

Dude!!! Where do these lines come from?💣

Hi @Old Joad And thanks!😀

"Surely there is someone who cares" So we should be able to accept changes that hopefully (could) result from learning from our past mistakes and not be so bull-headed to think we're OK as we are.  If we cannot "We may regret this in the long run", meaning we may look back someday and wish we would've changed.

Hope this clears this up for you.

🙂JB

4 hours ago, Bajan Blue said:

Good tune and the mix sounds excellent - the Bass sounds great to me - I noticed toms comments re high bass notes and guitarists who play bass - 😎 guilty here I am afraid!!

cool

Nigel

@Bajan BlueThen I'm in good company😀

🙂JB

Edited by Johnbee58

Hi John . . . another great piece you've accomplished here . . . your piano accompaniment is always the driving feature, with melodic bass . . . really interesting chord changes in this one.  In the middle, that vocal part where you say (the theme) "The Long Run" . . . it has some efx on it, that kind of obscure it, as it pans left to right . . . I get it on my headphones, but on my speaker listen, it's not so clear, maybe more volume there ? . . . but otherwise it all sounds great, and very clearly recorded.

• Thanks 1

I really like this one, John. The bass line plays off the melody and ties things together nicely. Well done.
I stumbled on the word "err."   "Mistake" seems like a better word to use there.  Also, the song sounds pretty upbeat for a somber subject so maybe a little minor key here and there would work?

Well, just a couple of suggestions from my own unique take on the world.
-Bjorn

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, noynekker said:

Hi John . . . another great piece you've accomplished here . . . your piano accompaniment is always the driving feature, with melodic bass . . . really interesting chord changes in this one.  In the middle, that vocal part where you say (the theme) "The Long Run" . . . it has some efx on it, that kind of obscure it, as it pans left to right . . . I get it on my headphones, but on my speaker listen, it's not so clear, maybe more volume there ? . . . but otherwise it all sounds great, and very clearly recorded.

Thanks, @noynekker.  I didn't listen to it on speakers yet, so thanks for the observation.  I'll try to work on that. 😀

🙂John B

Edited by Johnbee58

20 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

I really like this one, John. The bass line plays off the melody and ties things together nicely. Well done.
I stumbled on the word "err."   "Mistake" seems like a better word to use there.  Also, the song sounds pretty upbeat for a somber subject so maybe a little minor key here and there would work?

Well, just a couple of suggestions from my own unique take on the world.
-Bjorn

Hey,  @bjornpdx, thanks so much!  To tell the truth, I'm not really sold on that "err" thing myself.  I'm using it as a noun when it's actually a verb in that context and I've been having some conflicts with what I should use there and what I'm going to change it to.  "Mistake" I don't feel would sound well sung with that melody though.  I have to re think the whole thing through, I guess, but thanks for your keen observation and suggestion.  You guys don't miss much. 😃

🙂John B

Edited by Johnbee58

Changes made 9/13/2022:

Lyrics changed to "We have lost count of the pains we've endured.  Nobody remembers.  We lie to make it right" as per @bjornpdx

@DeeringAmpssuggestion:  "we've made so long ago" to "we made so long ago".

@noynekkersuggestion:  the line "the long run" panning was removed and volume was adjusted.  Hard pans to about 4o'clock right.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.  I hope it makes better sense now.

😀John B